Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5 | Page 637 | FerrariChat

Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
  2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    A preservation entity in Italy, I can put you in touch if you need, although, I know of another close to you in the UK, just drop me a line as needed.

3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ferrari Dresden in Germany has the ex-Gerhard Berger GLA12956 is available, unfortunately it was restored quite poorly according to those who have inspected it, which may account for it's current pricing which the seller confirms to me is 695,000 Euros or about $740,000, here's a chance to re-restore a legendary car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Another Downdraft which is available is the 88.5 JLA12409 also in need of some refurbishment, the estimate for the upcoming auction is $541,107 to $595,218.

5. Tdoo

Tdoo Rookie

Jul 29, 2021
    Liverpool uk
    Full Name:
    Terrydooley
  6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Robert, I finally checked my records to try to set the story straight.

F 923 OYR (GB) is of course chassis number JLA12420, production n° 1332, a RHD 88.5 QV Downdraft which was completed by the Sant Agata works on March the 8th 1988 and delivered to Portman UK, fitted with engine n° 1635.

The car's factory data records it's delivery colors as the standard livery of Bleu Acapulco with Panna con filleti Bleu (Panna leather with blue piping). I subsequently cross-checked my records with my ex-factory man's records in Italy, and the reply came back that the same details as above are indeed confirmed. The Countach Registry also confirms these details.

Checking my archives further, it turns out that JLA12420's original livery is not unique even for UK RHD 88.5 cars, for example, the ex-Steve Downs JLA12249 was also delivered in Bleu Acapulco with Panna leather piped in blue (non Paratelli), as shown in the image below, this is exactly how JLA12420 was delivered.

Any modifications which have been done to the JLA12420's interior featuring the aforementioned blue & purple appointments are not only post-production non-original personalization using different materials & methods from that of the manufacturer's upholsterer, they have nothing to do with Lamborghini SpA as they were supposedly performed by the Sultan's customizer. It's important to point this out because as is often the case, based on what's being put out there on the internet, JLA12420's history is somewhat being re-written and some might believe that the garish (and I say this fairly as the House of Brunei was not known for impeccable taste with it’s car mods) replacement interior is original to the car, when this isn't correct.

As for my fading 61-year-old memory, obviously I was wrong, the interior I recall seeing was likely the dark blue with piping interior of the ex-Nick Asher 88.5 although that car's interior is piped in white (!), anyway there are too many Countachs in my poor head to recall them accurately after 35 years, however, this mistake on my part shows what's good about threads like this, factory production archives, and Registers, they’re a record of the way the cars left the factory for posterity, by saving accurate data, specifications, an images, and they help prevent history from being re-written inaccurately, because not only do memories fade (my ex-factory contact always tells me "I can't remember anymore, but let me check my records"), erroneous material is so often put out there and accepted as gospel by the uninitiated.

NürScud and Spyder-Man like this.
  7. Tdoo

Tdoo Rookie

Jul 29, 2021
    Liverpool uk
    Full Name:
    Terrydooley
    NürScud, Spyder-Man and joe sackey like this.
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Nice, this is surely the ex-Roger Hedge (World Powerboat Monohull Champion) JLA12342, the supplementary dashboard instrument binnacle for the Alpine hardware was added by Portman UK post-delivery, as was the alarm light on the passenger side air vent housing.

I love this spec, JLA12256 the ex-Nick Asher / Rod Stewart car, and JLA12299 the ex-Brian Strudwick car (now sadly re-trimmed using the aforementioned thick matte leather) were also delivered in this same combination, although I'm not sure they had the blue dashboard.

This image and the one I posted in the post just before it illustrates the difference between Paratelli's work and that of the outsource upholsterer Lamborghini sometimes used.

Tdoo likes this.
  9. Tdoo

Tdoo Rookie

Jul 29, 2021
    Liverpool uk
    Full Name:
    Terrydooley
  10. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    photo really shows the difference in heights btwn high and low body cars. Quite a striking change actually.

Ciro Izzo and Nembo1777 like this.
  11. Tdoo

Tdoo Rookie

Jul 29, 2021
    Liverpool uk
    Full Name:
    Terrydooley
  12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    LC3929, alan and Spyder-Man like this.
  13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    alan and Spyder-Man like this.
  14. Serie1926

Serie1926 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2012
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    One of the coolest Downdrafts we've had the privilege to import into the USA is the ex-Keke Rosberg FLA12808 because of history, but not least because the current owner is such a gent.

Chassis n° FLA12808 was production n° 721 and was fitted with the blueprinted (470 bhp) motor n°1017. Delivered on April the 4th 1985 to Keijo Erik (Keke) Rosberg via Achilli Motors, he collected it on the week of the F1 San Marino Grand Prix and drove it away on EE.014.AK plates. Rosberg serviced the car at the Sant Agata factory, with Valentino Balboni driving it all the way back to Monte Carlo post-service! In November 1991 he also took delivery of a Giallo Diablo, whereupon he sold the Countach.

Upon testing the car for us, Valentino told us it was a quick one, and once the car arrived in California I had the opportunity to confirm this. FLA12808 was serviced by Lamborghini Newport Beach's Classic Car Service and these days can be found flashing to pass somewhere on the West Coast.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    LC3929 and Spyder-Man like this.
  18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ciro Izzo, Sickpuppy and Spyder-Man like this.
  19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  21. Countachguy

Countachguy Rookie

Dec 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joe Cates
    Gentlemen,
    I have one more question: How do I separate the cover on top of the ignition switch (85 downdraft)?
    I pulled the two long screws but the upper/lower parts won't separate. Should I bang on it???
    Also the steering wheel is held by a strange nut - where do I gert a socket for it?

Joe

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ciro Izzo, NürScud and Spyder-Man like this.
  23. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    She's certainly a babe Joe. Good for the soul for sure.

A thought. A lot of cars are now being restored to as new or better condition. Will there come a point when an original non-restored example will be more desirable than a restored version. Will patina and originality be rarer over time and appeal more so?

R

24. Rapallo

Rapallo Rookie

Sep 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    nils johnsen
    My cars color combo, and the Paratelli seats.

Spyder-Man and joe sackey like this.
  25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #15925 joe sackey, Jan 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    Classic cars can only be original once, as such, there is no question that a truly original paint & interior well-preserved example with all original components (besides perishables) and free of modifications is absolute top of the tree on the value scale, the Holy Grail. I'm speaking of original cars in great condition, not tired and worn out cars, the former is a very select small group. Case in point, the red/tan with red piping Downdraft that is said to be a benchmark preservation example and is advertised for sale on Hemmings, it asks 1.5 times what Downdrafts generally trade for.

The problem with preservation is, it's rare that a car will get a custodian or a series of them who have maintained it both correctly & meticulously and kept it as the manufacturer released it, that's the gold standard, and there are very few cars of any iconic make or model which truly remain that way. In all my travels and across all the inspections I do, I'm reminded of this often.

As regards restored cars, my view as I've expressed it many times before is, it's a shame that the majority of restorations end in a net result that is very often quite different to the way the cars left the factory. Wheels are much more bright silver or gold than they originally were, cad-plating is much more bright gold compared to the original hue, lots of components are simply replaced rather than restored & reused, and interiors use different types of leathers and upholstering when compared with the car's original finish, this latter area where I see the most divergence from an authentic finish. All of this makes nicely preserved cars all the more valuable, as their numbers continue to diminish as time goes on.