Countach Ignition switch cover | FerrariChat

Countach Ignition switch cover

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Countachguy, Jan 14, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Countachguy

Countachguy Rookie

Dec 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joe Cates
    Hello Countach experts

Mine is a 1986 Downdraft.
    Trying to figure out why my ignition switch lost power, and trying to open the cover on the steering wheel.
    It has two vertical bolts, but after removing them the cover still won't separate. (upper/lower).
    Should I bang on it hard?
    Also, the steering wheel is held by a strange screw - where can I get a socket for this?

Joe

2. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Out of experience, many times when the switch in no more working it's only the pins getting loose in the connector.
    But perhaps some on my dashboard removal pics might help you finding the way, although I didn't remove the switch
    Lamborghini Countach #GLA12997 Purchase

3. Countachguy

Countachguy Rookie

Dec 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joe Cates
    Thanks,
    The wire photos are helpful.
    Looks like the switch connector is to the right - I'll look for it.
    (my problem is that the dashboard is in place and I don't want to remove all).
    By the way, I had a similar problem with my Espada where the Plus wire into the ignition switch failed.
    After replacing the whole wire - all problems are gone.

4. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    You can also simply pull out the instrument cluster without removing the entire dashboard.

One of the poblems is, when pulling the steering wheel towards the driver you pull also that huge black wire cluster of the ignition switch, I therefore attached it again with some more gap, this already helped in my car.
    P1050094.JPG (800×600) (countach.ch)

5. Downdraft1

Downdraft1 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2008
    Be super careful when pulling out the Countach instrument cluster. The aluminum panel may scratch the inside corners of the leather surround.. best you protect the inside. leather with thin bendable plexiglass or abs when pulling it out & putting it back in. It’s a PITA.

6. Countachguy

Countachguy Rookie

Dec 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joe Cates
    Thank you for the advise.
    Once I touched all the connectors - everything is fine. It is scary because I cannot pinpoint which connector was corroded.
    Anyway - the steering wheel is held by a strange bolt with 4 slots.
    Where can I find/get a socket for this?

7. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Hill engineering for socket will check size it's a ring nut