Countach QV FI Thread | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Countach QV FI Thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by johnhoughtaling, Nov 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Red car, gold wheels, wing...works fine with me.

blown daytona and Jalpa_Mike like this.
  2. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    It's the best configuration ever on a Countach. ;)

3. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland

I agree but I am slightly biased :)

4. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    My car is red,but not my favorit. White/white-Tahiti-white,are 2 combos way up on my list.

5. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Correction- these are paint/int combos, wheels depends, white/white, silver wheels-Tahiti /white,gold wheels

6. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris

Thats my car! Havent seen it in months as Ive been on vacation. Miss it!

7. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #107 PineChris, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2017
    Exactly. While Sackey claims in the DD section clinging to imaginary 195mph runs its good to see that people see through his ********. Lets not forget that Lamborghini themselves achieved figures with the FI nearly identical to what they achieved with their downdraft. 180 mph at Nardo... 0-100 in 10.8 and 13.0 flat in the 1/4 all in a car which was heavier, more than likely worse aerodynamically and strangled by emissions.

How difficult is it to twist the fuel distributors to the side? Does it gain anything noticeable?

8. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No BS whatsoever, meanwhile S_AGATA's meaningful post aimed at tuning the Fuelie in no way discredits the Downdraft's ability to achieve 195 mph nor supports the Fuelie's ability to do anything over 160 mph.

Exactly which Fuelie performed "nearly identical" to a Downdraft at Nardo, who was it driven by, and what date did the test occur? You seem a bit fuzzy on the details as you state it was "more than likely worse aerodynamically", well, was it or wasn't it?

9. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    We all know this.no reason to fight laws of physics and common sense.

10. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    You guys are funny. Even butthurt about the DD thread when you have your own playpen!!

The DD is how it was supposed to be and the top spec of any of the early supercars period the end. The FI is a USA homologated version to sell cars in the states. Lamborghini didn't parade the fulie around the world to help its image they sent the DD the pinnacle.

Independent tests PROVE the DD was the fastest on earth weather you like it or not. Joe has NOTHING to do with a test done 30 years ago just pointing out the data point.

The engine is what sets it apart and no the FI version is not similar by any stretch regardless of how much you want it to be. HGigher center of gravity, more weight everywhere, restricted airflow ect ect ect ect. You can say what you will but the world agrees the DD is the one to have. Watch what happens over the next decade.

11. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well lets see... do you think the Fuel Injected cars front bumper made aerodynamics better or worse than a DD's? As far as I know there has never been a wind tunnel test between the two, but if I had to bet.....

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Which DD did they send around the world? Or did it have more to do with the fact that that finances were tight and they would use a EURO car that was available for tests conducted in Europe?

Which test proves the DD was fastest.. the one were it went 166mph? or 179mph? Or the one you cling to where a car was timed using a stop watch and kilometer posts.

13. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Next decade is indeed exiting reg our old cars, no matter wich model, one thing is for shure, if the market and interest is still there,all Countaches are bargains at the time,also wether its carbed or fi,at that point,will make absolutely no difference,

14. My money says that everyone will post for what ever team they are playing on. From a moderation point, having multiple threads on the Countach, discussing the same thing is not a good idea.

15. Bob Lutz says we have about 15 years until everything is electric and self driving. I think that is a little early, but you can already see problems with fuel blends.

16. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I do believe that is sadly the future, however not in our lifetime.

17. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Its easy to see this version is the one to have, all qv,s would be fi. If economies allowed,at the time, The carbs where simpley left overs from a bygone era, Porsche is a living proof of this. Make no mistake about it, QV fi ,is the Countash to own, also ,in unrestricted non cat version,the best overall real world performer.

18. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Agreeded. All other manufacturers had long since moved on to fuel injection before Lambo did. Manufacturers like Ferrari and Porsche with real racing roots had moved into the future long before Lambo did, I think it was an issue of money which kept Lambo in the "stone age" for an extended period of time.

19. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Aerodynamically the front bumper of a US Countach is like mounting a 2 x 6 board on the front of a euro car. Of course doing a bumper conversion, ditching the cats and installing euro style headers and sport exaust will make a FI Countach just as fast as a DD and more user friendly. I guess if carbs were so superior, they would have developed the Diablo with carbs for rest of world cars and kept FI for US compliance

20. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Your guess is wrong because with carbs you couldn't achieve all the polution laws which were implemented continously. Even the DD wasn't allowed anymore after October 1986 in Switzerland, Switzerland was the first country in Europe took over the strict emission laws of California which needed catalysts.
    Carbs cannot control the mixture to guarantee a Lambda value =1 in all working conditions, that is basically the killer argument.

21. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    I remember when Maserati introduced the Biturbo to the USA in 1984, all the magazines of the day was scratching their heads as to why they still used the Weber 36DCNVH carb. The feeling was, Weber would have killed Maserati if they quit producing cars with Carbs and switched to fuel injection since they were partners for so many years. Most cars back in the 80’s were already switching to fuel injection for the exact reasons Raymond stated. By the time Maserati finally got it right in 1986 with the 425i and further in 1989 with the 228 & 430, the damage was done. Maserati pulled out of the USA and wouldn’t return until 2002. The carb cars were horrible in that they suffered from vapor lock and were very hard to start when warm. To this day, a 228 or 430 model will bring much more money than a 1984, ‘85 Biturbo.

I would think that as more countries such as Switzerland start cracking down on importing cars with carburetors it will be harder to bring them in and register them. Folks will then start looking at the fuel injected version as an alternative. Given that the DD version represents about 2/3 of the production of the Quattrovalve and the fuel injected version the other 1/3, this will help drive up the price of the fuel injected model due to its smaller production numbers. Of course this is just my humble opinion. I think we’ve all scratched our heads at values of collector cars over the years trying to figure out why one goes up and another stagnates.

Mike

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Rich the fact that there is continued angst at all by Fuelie owners over the Downdraft tells you everything you need to know! :D

No, the one where the Downdraft was tested in Germany by Auto Motor Sport in the Spring of 1985 to precisely 185.169 mph with a standard engine & boxed muffler ;)

Martini's car which achieved 195 mph on the other hand had a blueprinted engine with sport cams and spaced air-box.

There is already a huge difference in values between a Fuelie car and a Downdraft, ask me how I know :eek: , and in 10 years the gap will be similar to the gap we see in other marques once collectors & enthusiasts who want the best version of a particular model define their choice with their wallets, it will widen. Fuelies are already seen as the choice of modifiers and hot-rodders, and for good reason, and as such, their values are accordingly limited. Collectors who advance values always go for the real thing, the pure unadulterated unmodified collectible, this is proven in every market, and when it comes to the Countach QV, that version is the Downdraft, period.

Here is a real-world example: every other week I am asked for Countachs by collectors who approach me, and when speaking of a QV, they always ask for a Downdraft by name (apparently this moniker has already gained footing universally even with people not that familiar with Countachs), and conversely I am absolutely never asked for a Fuelie, in fact I have been told twice in recent months by a prospective buyer that they specifically didn't want a Fuel-injected car. What does that tell you? ;)

We have discussed this before, and most people who are finally making the kind of money that gives them a scope of choices are now wanting a Countach with carbs, simply because as they learn it to be, the Countach & Carbs are a concept that is universally regarded in unison. Like Stars & Stripes, like Lock & Key, like Bonnie & Clyde, wait, what? :D

:D

Well, in the days when the focus was outright performance and not compliance, carbs were king! :) ;)

The fact that the Downdraft represents the end of an era is by itself a glorious automotive statement, and speaks to the car's desirability and value.

23. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    I follow the Countach threads with passion but I have not seen any modern dyno results of a standard DD and a FI. What are the real world HP and torque differences between these two models - not considering the factory numbers ? And would a FI perform equal to the DD with euro extractors/exhaust/cams ?

Also find it fascinating that one could actually order a blue printed engine from factory if you had the right pedigree. Those where the days :)

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #124 joe sackey, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    A nod & a wink, and you got what you wanted ;)

Seriously, in 1987, a friend ordered a new Countach and arranged for the engine to be blueprinted because he had heard of Barry Robinson receiving this treatment. He had no special contacts with Lamborghini and it was his first Countach, but he got his wish simply because he asked and was willing to pay extra, I don't recall what the extra was, but not enough for me to hear anything about it.

25. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen