Countach QV FI Thread | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Countach QV FI Thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by johnhoughtaling, Nov 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Congrats, sounds like you are really going to enjoy it, also, cool to hawe a few extra sitting around, awesome.

PineChris and S_AGATA like this.
  2. Autosport

Autosport Karting

May 25, 2013
    How dare you make such positive statements in reference to the none homologated and much slower variant of our beloved Countach ! You are very lucky to be protected within the walls of this Fuel Injected thread to make such outrageous claims. Beware as the Downdraft Gods shall rain down upon you many facts, figures, performance numbers, and documents to prove that you are incorrect sir, in fact the FI QV was just an after thought. It's not even a real Countach ! :(

3. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Think about it this way, it's easily the second fastest Countach variant, and thats before you throw those cats in the garbage!

In 1986 there wasn't a faster car you could legally purchase in the USA.

4. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
  5. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris

Dont forget... All of us Fuelie owners merely wish we could own DownDrafts... And Valentino is a liar!

6. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    PineChris likes this.
  7. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was thinking about getting another front hood with the front wing and Carello lights to swap on and off on my car, as well as another rear trunk lid to go wingless.

S_AGATA likes this.
  8. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Emilio had a trunk lid available for a long time, that'd be a great idea. As for the front hood, not my taste but it would certainly be cool as a nostalgic item, it really evokes the time period.

9. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree on the front hood, would just be fun to take it on and off sometimes for a different look.

S_AGATA likes this.
  10. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    My car came with this style wing, currently on the shelf in my garage,for sale 9,000,000,000$ bolts included

S_AGATA likes this.
  11. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    I wish i could also add a fuelie to the stable.. my long time buddy has had one a long time so i also always admired them.

12. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Boomhauer and S_AGATA like this.
  13. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Very cool,lots of Contach. The fi in the backround(your first) would it happen to be the DEALER Countach,previous owner of Everglades marine,Ft Lauderdale?if so,i remember this car well, in my enviroment. Thanks

14. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    SOLD!

S_AGATA likes this.
  15. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I bumped into Valentino at Amelia at an auction. He said the FI and DD cars made about the same power. He said the main difference was in the torque curve. It was hard to believe he was just being a nice guy as others have said.

16. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I think all you need to do to a FI car is the Quick Silver headers and muffler. It lets the car breath, sounds great, reduces weight. I think it makes up for the 35 hp loss between the DD and FI cars

S_AGATA likes this.
  17. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Thanks for giving your honest opinion. Others have only spoken of the FI cars as step children as they were not even Countach's

18. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Much of the classic Lamborghini community exists abroad, and many enthusiasts, mechanics, and collectors haven't had too much experience with fuel injected QV's until recent years.

As I've stated many times, the distinction between USA and European spec is NOT unique to the Countach. EVERY USA spec vehicle of the time had to comply with period regulations, often at the cost of exhaust, timing, weight, etc.

These vehicles include:

Ferrari 512bbi
    Ferrari Testarossa
    Ferrari F40
    Lamborghini Jalpa
    Lamborghini LM002
    Lamborghini Diablo
    Lamborghini Diablo SE30
    Porsche 930 Turbo 3.0
    Porsche 930 Turbo 3.3
    Maserati Biturbo, 228, 430, etc
    Mercedes 560 SEC

Within their respective communities, all of these vehicles are still desired and appreciated to a point. It's up to the market to determine the premium in price between different specs. At some point, especially for the informed, it stops to make sense. This is why we're seeing some FI cars slowly migrating over to Europe.

Make no mistake, the QV was fastest machine legally available on American soil in 1986 PERIOD. It's the car that people recognized as the ultimate super car, regardless of what Lamborghini had to do in order to squeeze it into the USA.

Great advice, headers and the deletion of two catalytic converters easily returns 30-40 bhp.

19. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    #194 S_AGATA, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    For the sake of correctness I'll add - the carbureted motor shines when responding to modifications such as cams, timing changes, etc. hence why we sometimes see examples of 475 bhp DD engines.

With the exception of some well known examples such as Joe's (or Raymond's or Patrick's) and Pierluigi's, most other QV's are also sitting around that 440-455 from the factory.

Without modifying the CIS for higher air flow (possible to do) it'd be harder to get into that 470 bhp zone. A FI car would actually respond very well to a stroker crank, but now we're off topic :)

ken qv likes this.
  20. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It would also certainly respond to distributorless ignition and electronic fuel injection....

S_AGATA likes this.
  21. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Being a car thats 30 yrs old or more and less than 2,000 made does it matter anymore? 30,40,100 hp? Who cares.. they are are countachs.. rare, special, exotic and owned by people that are a little "off", in a good way LOL

22. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
  23. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Also there were more Downdrafts produced than F/I

24. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    DD really do make magical power. Sackey has been right all along. We must sell our F/I and get one of these incredible beasts...