Countach QV FI Thread | Page 86 | FerrariChat

Countach QV FI Thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by johnhoughtaling, Nov 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Palm Event

Palm Event Rookie

Apr 27, 2020
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    $700k on the QV FI car.......

Not bad, but certainly not setting records. BaT has auctioned off 7 cars so far this year.....compared to 7 cars over the past three years lol. Good news is that there still isn't a ton of inventory out there. Bad news is that there are only so many buyers at the $700,000 plus mark. Most of the cars have been FI cars.....wonder what a 5000S would do (I think the one in Monterey was an anomaly, similar to the $830,000 one on BaT).

Anyone looking for a "cheap" car, there is always this one:
    https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/lamborghini/countach/2603944.html

Looks like it needs a lot of love, and is an anniversary, but still might be someone's only option at the price point.

2. rsechan

rsechan Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 20, 2012
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Rob Sechan

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what is the record for a QV FI?

4. Palm Event

Palm Event Rookie

Apr 27, 2020
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    As far as publicly, I believe that the $860,000 (+$5,000 fee) from BaT is the current record for a QV FI. I've heard of some trading hands privately in the $700s.

5. Palm Event

Palm Event Rookie

Apr 27, 2020
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Few questions about the gas tank / fuel gauge I understand that capacity is 31.7 gallons, is that correct? How accurate is the fuel gauge? Mine was reading near empty (light had not come on) and it would only take 21 gallons. After filling, it still only read 3/4 full. Could this be a gauge issue, a filling issue (maybe give time to level off in other tank), or do these just read low fuel for the last 10 gallons?

6. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    I have never filled my tanks to 31 gal, poss most i ever did was 25 or so, mine will show between 1/2 and empty for a long time, then the light come on,wich at that point seem to be pretty accurate reg remaining fuel in the tanks, I did read recently a story reg getteing max fuel fill up to the 31 gal,required some patience.

7. Palm Event

Palm Event Rookie

Apr 27, 2020
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
  8. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Interesting that seller does not invest in removal of Awful DOT mods, side skirts, and mods. Not likely to bring top dollar as a result.

Ellagirl likes this.
  9. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The rear panel and bumper setup is awful. But I quite like the side skirts. Which is strange for me. But there you go....

10. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Why not go all the way with the euro look and not take care of the toasters?

Ellagirl likes this.
  11. Possibly what you (we, me?)are seeing is bat has more US listings than anywhere else, IIRC bat’s headquarters is in San Francisco. I think a few lp400’s were US cars, however after that all of the production Countachs until the QV were grey market. Besides the Anni it is the most plentiful in the US.

EMILIO likes this.
  12. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    Exactly!
    QV F.I. were sold 95% on US and very few came to Europe when the dollar was weak compared to euro
    european buyers were mostly interested in carbed countach and just lately the interest for the QV F.I. raised in Europe to

13. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Are you in the Bologna erea?

EMILIO likes this.
  14. Palm Event

Palm Event Rookie

Apr 27, 2020
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I get that....but it is still just 10% of overall production. Even when you look at for sale listings over the years, it is usually a good mix of cars.......5000 S, Anniversary, 400S, DD, etc. In DuPont, for example, they have a 5000S, a downdraft, a 400S, and an annivesary. No FI. Probably just a coincidence. I mean, I guess there were 3 consecutive 400S in 3 months on BaT from 12/20 - 3/21.

Perhaps that $860,000 car brought all the FIs out? Perhaps being that the QV FIs were the lowest priced ones for a long time, those are the people most susceptible to cashing out? Either way, it seems like a lot of them are finding permanent homes.

Spyder-Man likes this.
  15. The reason you are seeing more fi QV's is just a short time ago a fi qv was a 200-325k car (whereas the entry cost of a S1,2,3 & 5000s car was more - given a similar condition), a 200k plus gain is hard for many to pass.

EMILIO likes this.
  16. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    All Countaches have been to cheap for to long,The history and its contribution to the Car world ,in general,is second to none, and yes i agree ,it looks like many are finding permanent homes with a bright future. 5000s, Anniversary and QV Fi, wich for natural reasons are what mostly comes up for sale, seems to me,since late 90 s,pretty similarly priced. I am not selling,therefore value at this point is not important( i will admitt its nice to know whatever you own is worth something) I really think its great we see people who actually love the car are the majority of the buyers.

17. Palm Event

Palm Event Rookie

Apr 27, 2020
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Actually, as nice as it is to own something valuable, it is to our detriment as parts gets more expensive, labor gets more expensive (mechanics tend to charge more for million dollar cars than they do for quarter million dollar cars), insurance gets more expensive, and psychologically we want to drive less (costs, mileage, maintenance, parking).

I agree 100% with the history and importance of the Countach. I've been preaching for over 10 years. I believe that these will rival the Miura in value in the long term, despite higher production numbers.

18. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    EarlyCat likes this.
  19. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Your post has been auto-corrected.

But seriously, I think an era of "what was I thinking?" will soon be upon us.

20. ElvisNasty

ElvisNasty Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Elvis Jenkins Nasty
    The QV with FI is worth it and this bump is deserved. It is very fast (faster than all but the DD). The bumper change to euro style is easy for anyone with 700K to spend on a car. The bosch FI system is reliable and needs very little maintenance.

The one to look for now is the 400S. They usually go under 500K it seems. That's a bargain, as they are pretty incredible.

Ellagirl likes this.
  21. Palm Event

Palm Event Rookie

Apr 27, 2020
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Actually, the 400S sell at a premium, especially the "low body" series 1 & 2 cars. There just haven't been many really public sales recently (I think that Joe had one that sold in the 900s before the big bump up and another that no sale'd close to $900. Traditionally, the Anniversaries have been the cheapest with the 5000 QV FI and 5000 S battling it out for next cheapest. Personally, I like the FI as I drive mine often, but they traditionally haven't been the most valuable. I've commented earlier that it seems strange that most of what has been sold recently (publicly at least, or even privately from what I've heard) has been the FIs. They aren't super common, but perhaps because of the dramatic increase in price (they were some of the cheapest cars) and the fact that most of them are in the US explains why. The bumpers are the main thing holding them back. You can change them (as I did), but it is no longer (at least in the eyes of some collectors) an unmolested car. Perhaps the power is too, but they still have more power than the carbed cars other than the QV.

I am amazed at how strong that the market is holding....9 BaT cars in the past 5 months.....that is more than they have sold in their entire existence. Not only is the price holding above $600,000, there isn't an excess supply on the retail market. I know a few for sale privately, but not as many as you would think given the bump up in price. Personally, I think that the sky is the limit. These cars, in my opinion, will rival Miura prices in the next decade. I can say for sure......my car is one less car that will be on the market going forward.

EMILIO, Ellagirl and Jalpa_Mike like this.
  22. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    #2147 Ellagirl, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2022
  23. I'm at the tail end of a restoration on a Pantera. They are great cars.

24. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    So much fun , but the one I bought are not to far behind a bad high milage Anniversary in price. Poss a tad more. Super easy to maintain.

25. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    #2150 Ellagirl, Sep 13, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2022
    Image Unavailable, Please Login the Pantera csme with an Alpine casette is this the one used in the Countach? If so it would be tempting to swap. Thanks for info