Countach Technical Thread & Questions | Page 17 | FerrariChat

Countach Technical Thread & Questions

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by jollygood, Mar 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Big question Simon is that have you actually used the car enough to bed the brakes in! :D I'd be interested to get your feedback.

Cheers
    Rob

2. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Hi Rob work just fine, I would say slightly reduced pedal efforts and much more confidence inspiring probably down to more modern caliper design, bigger pad area and better friction materials. Occasional rumble but that is normal with cross drilled discs, would probably opt for slotted rotors next time.

Spyder-Man likes this.
  3. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I've just blown my second cooling circuit fuse in a month - something isn't right somewhere. Being in Texas, I am definitely considering the upgraded SPAL cooling fans but had a couple of questions - do they draw less current, or just move more air? Also, having the 3rd fan, does that pusher on the front of the right radiator push more air, or just draw more current (and blow fuses)? Would it be worth while removing it? I remember reading somewhere that a push-pull configuration is not much more efficient than just a pull.

4. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    For future reference, these ones from NorthWest Import Parts fit perfectly:

https://www.northwestimportparts.com/MGB-Emblem-medium-blind-retainer-clip-70-72-d2433.aspx

I'll report back if the Mini-Mania ones also fit when they come in.

MiuraP400 likes this.
  5. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I think the new Spal fans do both. More air and less current draw.
    R

6. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    All needed information can be found here: http://www.countach.ch/fans.html

7. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
  8. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Thanks Rob - that would be ideal!

9. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Thanks Ryamond - I've read that a couple of times in preparation. I've also ordered new air filters (just replacements, not as extensive as your alterations) as I figured "while I'm in there..."

10. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    I still have the BMC filters, sold Joe the car with the stock filter boxes.

11. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    And speaking of that blown fuse - both times the plastic of the fuse has melted at one end - so the fuse isn't just "blowing the fuse" it's getting the holder hot enough at one end to melt the end of the fuse - should I be checking the fusebox? Could the fusebox be part of the problem?

Jalpa_Mike likes this.
  12. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    #412 Jalpa_Mike, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2022
    very common, Dean. I was going through fuses like water through a sieve! I completely rebuilt my box and split the fans to run on seperate circuits. So, each of the 4 fans has its own seperate fuse and relay. Here is a shot of what my old box looked like and what it looked like after I rebuilt it. Since this, I’ve not blown one fuse.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

EarlyCat, Spyder-Man and S_AGATA like this.
  13. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    That looks like very nice work! Although I seem to be changing different fuses to those - I'm just changing a 25 amp fuse in the normal fuse panel?

Jalpa_Mike likes this.
  14. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Dean,

I should have asked which Countach you have! LOL! The fusebox I showed above was only used in the ‘85, ‘86 and possibly into ‘87 model 5000QV’s. If you have a later model, or 25th Anni, this page from Raymond’s Countach site should help you:

http://www.countach.ch/Fusebox/index.html

Mike

15. GraemeS

GraemeS Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    Auckland New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graeme Stebbing
    I had a friend that built a Countach Replica many years ago with a jag v12, he had one push fan and one pull per side, after months of testing he removed the push fans, and had no more cooling issues, it turned out that you should not put push and pull together, as they cannot be in sync, and the push is trying to force air through the pull blades, the end result is a lower airflow ,than a single pull and Spal is the brand to get.

16. My Pantera could sit in traffic all day & run cool. Get up to highway speeds & it would slowly get hot. I replaced the radiator with a bigger high cool unit & changed the thermostat. I bled the system out overnight, jacking the back of the car up in the air, to remove any air pockets. Still did the exact same thing. So I had it running in the driveway and was trying to figure out why. As I got to the front of the car I could feel air blowing. What? The fans were wired backwards. It was pushing air through the radiator, out towards the front. That was the problem. I doubt that's your problem, but it is also an Italian car & easy to rule out.

Peter K. and Spyder-Man like this.
  17. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Mike,

I have an 86 QV, but my fuse panel is under the dash, and has a row of about 15 fuses on it. Nothing like that.

Dino

18. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    That's what I've heard too, is that a push and a pull are less efficient than just one on its own. Might have to consider options here.

19. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Heh - not a common fault, but I will check that too just to make sure! Although, I've not seen cooling issues when the fans are running - just when this fuse blows it tends to heat up fairly quickly and cool pretty slowly even at speed - makes me think the radiators rely on the fans for good airflow.

20. That might be a difference for a fi car. My 5000s has everything under the dash on the passenger side as well.

21. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Dean,

the Fuse/Relay box you are looking for is in the rear trunk (LH side) behind a panel. Open the trunk, look to the left and you’ll see a black plastic knurled knob on the side panel. Unscrew that, remove the panel and you will see the box. If you have an ‘86, chances are it will look just like mine above. Lamborghini in their infinate wisdom used a plastic box and then screwed a lid on it so it couldn’t breath. And with 4 relays in there, it gets hot..... FAST!

Here is a shot from Raymond’s site showing his box (you can also see the radio antenna too).

http://www.countach.ch/fusebox.html

Mike

22. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Sorry - should have clarified that it's a downdraft.

23. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Mike,

The fuse I'm having trouble with is the one in the fusebox under the dash. It's a 25 amp fuse for the "fans" which seems to be the cooling fans and the interior cabin fans as one circuit, as once it goes I lose my A/C fans too. But I know where the fuse that is blowing is, and it's not the one in the rear trunk - I've already replaced it twice, and it's under the glovebox.

Dino

24. Yes, I'm aware of that. I am thinking the difference in wiring, like Mike's, is for the fi version.

25. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Ah - sorry, now I understand. I think it's just confusion as to which fusebox, because the page on Raymond's Countach site Mike referred to is a Swiss Downdraft, which is what mine is too. The part numbers for the 5000S and the QV are the same also - 006775095.