Countach, the ultimate supercar | Page 977 | FerrariChat

Countach, the ultimate supercar

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Aug 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Fantastic pictures!

How does their driving experience compare if I may ask?

Lel likes this.
  2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Lambocars666 likes this.
  3. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Who`s gonna win the battle?

Park them on a market place and wait, watching the people....!
    I always parked my LP400 in a sea of red Ferraris during the various ol`Ferrari-/Maserati Challenge events here in EU. While all Ferrari owners were searching their (then allways red!) cars on the parking lot it was very easy for me. My car whas there where the biggest crowd people was...! Hah! ;)
    Gee...I miss it today...:(

Lambocars666 likes this.
  4. Lel

Lel Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2007
  5. Lel

Lel Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2007
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The Ferrari is a much more nimble car for everyday use. I once made a 7.000 kms long trip from Sweden down to the south of Spain and back in a Testarossa, which is an updated version of the BB, and it was really fast and comfortable. I have not taken any of them to the limit, even if I tried to go sideways in a LP400 with no success. That was before I read that "if you are going sideways in a Countach you are either very skilled or you trying to commit suicide".
    Back in the seventies when the BB and the Countach were introduced, they were the absolute stars of the road, two unattainable speed monsters that you just drawled over. But today, forty years later, the BB seems a little tame while the Countach LP400 gives an even more outrageos and spectacular impression. Parking it after an hours hard drive an early Sunday morning you feel that you have done a day's work. The Countach is the hardcore one, no doubt.

bernardo66, hyenahf, miura1 and 4 others like this.
  6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    After driving 500 miles in an LP400 you need a good, cozy hotel room...:)

joe sackey likes this.
  7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #24407 joe sackey, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    I agree that from a driving standpoint, the Countach is the hardcore one in your 70s comparo (I've driven a well-sorted 365 BB and owned a number of great LP400), and I can tell you it is the same with our recent 80s Countach Downdraft vs 288 GTO comparison.

In fact, as far as a hardcore drivers car, I personally rate the Countach model overall as the most hardcore of all mid-engined V12 Lamborghinis. For example, I could pilot all of the Miuras I owned with fingertips caressing that thin-rimmed steering wheel. Not so the Countach, all the ones I've owned have required muscle and a firm grip to guide that thick-rimmed small steering wheel and drive effectively.

From a design standpoint, the Countach simply puts its 70s and 80s rival in the shade.

As regards limits, Walter Wolf told me his LP400 didn't have enough grip and this motivated him to work with Dallara to use parallel-linked suspension, wider wheels and the legendary P7. That said, a skilled driver who can control power input can still get a later Countach sideways as we have seen in a number of videos and magazine articles.

After 500 miles in an LP400 I would require an appointment with a very good Chiropractor.

Ciro Izzo and Lambocars666 like this.
  8. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Thanks for sharing this!

I can understand easily about comfort, practicality and even aesthetics impressions. But what about the engine, the tractability, the roadholding of these two early iterations of these iconic cars? I would be interested in knowing the differences between the driving impressions after let’s say a sunday morning spririted drive!

Must be great to be able to make such a comparison!

Great that both are from 1975, what a pair!

Lambocars666 likes this.
  9. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    I am very curious to get the LP400 on a long trip.

I did that several times in the 5000S and it was much more enjoyable than I thought. Actually, comfort was not a problem. The only downturn was getting caught in traffic jams. Even though it didn’t overheat at all, the clutch is really heavy in these conditions! And there is the fear of getting touched by the cars around.

On the other hand, I could instantly feel the difference in terms of inside space when I entered for the first time in an LP400. What a difference it makes with a later model! I am not tall, but it made it for a snug fit. My head almost touches the headlining. But all in all the impression is very nice, you feel connected to the car in an even more pronounced way than with the later cars.

Let’s see how it feels after 500 miles!

Lambocars666 and Boomhauer like this.
  10. Lel

Lel Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2007

My experience, having had two 365 BBs and two Periscopio is that the engine in the Ferrari are much smoother. It delivers power from low rpms all the way to 7500 in a linear way. Both my Countaches had that significant hesitating at 3.500 to 4.000 rpms which is blaimed on the proportionately big Webers. I believe they got rid of this problem on the 400S which had 40 mm carbs instead of the 45. This means you are forced to keep the revs up at 4000 all the time to get a "smooth" ride in the Countach. This makes you tired. On the other hand over 4000 it is extremely powerful all the way up to 8000 and I think the gearbox has perfect ratios and is great to manoeuvre. Other old 4 litre Lamborghinis are turbin like in their smoothness, but not the LP400. Maybe you can adjust the engine more proper than I.
    My first LP400, #1120022, was, as you may know, built as a W.W. Countach with parallell linked rear suspension and 345 tires on Bravo wheels. When I brought it back to its narrow form I just removed the Bravos and put on a set of 14 inches standard wheels. Maybe due to that I did no compensation on the wheel alignment the car felt very nervous. I did some 1.000 kms trip with it in normal speeds but once trying to have a little extra fun and with power give it some oversteer I lost control. My #1120142 gives me a safer feeling and I tested it on the race track a couple of times. As been said I havn't taken either the BB.s nor the Countaches to their limits but with the right driver behind the wheel I would be surpriced if the BB would be the faster one.

And back to the question "who's gonna win the battle".
    The Countach , all the time. You don't even have to start it, it's the winner.

amc, Ciro Izzo, bernardo66 and 5 others like this.
  11. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Perhaps I am too late here - but I much like the rear lights of your LP400. Were they on the car from the beginning or are they -sorry for this- "aftermarket? Can not believe this...! But they look much like those on the prototype and fit perfectly to the stunning design of this early, magic version of the Countach.

Lambocars666 likes this.
  12. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Thanks a lot to share these first hand impressions! They are so valuable! They underline well the importance of setting, especially on a car like that.

The other 4 liter V12 that I experienced were indeed very smooth, and I haven't driven the LP400 enough to feel what you are mentioning. But if I remember correctly, some period tests also mentioned it.
    By the way, I also very much like your tail lights!

Lambocars666 likes this.
  13. Lel

Lel Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2007

They are aftermarket!
    Done by myself in the garage. And what is good is that I have done no harm to the body and can turn it back to original look in less than an hour.

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    FWIW the LP400S S1 & S2 had 45mm Weber DCOEs, I'm not in a place where I can check about the S3s.

Meanwhile some interesting reading on the LP400 vs Boxer discussion just over 12 years ago, using our 1120192.

Lambocars666 likes this.
  15. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    40mm in the S3s

Lambocars666 and joe sackey like this.
  16. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #24416 EMILIO, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    S1 had 45 DCOE
    S2 had 45 or 40 DCOE (and i am not sure it depends on VIN or markets)
    S3 had 40 DCOE

some 5000S also had 40 DCOE (i think Swiss and few other markets)

the esitation at 3500 rpm was the same on all 4000 cc cars with 45 Webers: engine internals are the same
    i had the same esitation on my 1978 S1 for the first 1 or 2 years of driving, then i had a very good mechanic tuning carbs, timing etc and it was gone almost completely.
    i have to say it was not terrible, it was somewhat in line with the carachter of the car ;)

the S3 has no esitation with the 40mm and, in all honestly i cannot almost feel any difference in power between the S1 and S3 engines
    but the S3 engine was totally overhauled before i could drive it for the first time ....so i do not know if is due to the worck done on it

Lambocars666 likes this.
  17. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    they look fantastic!
    best ever mod on an LP400 to me :)

Lambocars666 likes this.
  18. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
  19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #24419 joe sackey, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Thanks Chris.

Emilio, you are basically correct, S1 & S2 had 45 mm Webers, but note that some cars had these changed for the smaller dimension items even by the factory, and apparently in the USA.

On the topic of hesitation through the rev range:

All 3 of my LP400 (1120056, 1120110 & 1120192) exhibited this quite significantly, to the point where, as Lel states, it made driving the car somewhat tiring.

All 3 of my LP400S S1 (1121034, 1121036 & 1121038) exhibited this but to a lesser degree, making driving a bit easier, courtesy of the factory-installed breather system which is advanced from that of the LP400.

All 6 of the aforementioned cars had 45 mm Webers.

In March 2004 issue of Octane magazine, we compared our LP400 1120192 with our LP400S S1 1121034, and I recall the gentleman who drove both cars remarking that the LP400S had less hesitation

Lambocars666 likes this.
  20. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I do not believe the hesitation is inherent to the design. The design makes it more difficult to tune out but not un- solvable. All cars with Webers and a high power to weight ratio have a propenesity to have this flat spot. I have tuned it out of many cars including a S1 Countach (w 45 DCOEs), a 289 Cobra, 246 Dino, several D-type and C- type Jags. If the car is set up right, high powered Weber carbed cars are extremely trackable and easy to drive. Of course the opposite is true if they are not set up right. I have seen some people try to bandaid the tuning by messing with the accelerator pump system. If someone proposes that as a fix, I recommend trying someone else.

Cheers Jim

joe sackey likes this.
  21. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I had the opportunity to purchase that car from the original owner several years ago. Should have jumped on it.....Love the color combos....and it is injected the ultimate QV :)

Ellagirl likes this.
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed.

We worked on tuning LP400S S1 1121036 and got it to the point where it was fairly smooth, not perfect and without any hesitation as say our current Downdraft is, but it was better than the other 2 LP400S S1s, and significantly better than the 3 LP400.

23. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    So sweet looking I got a cavity

24. mt_jt

mt_jt Formula Junior

May 9, 2012
    Australia
    Jesus Joe, I can't believe you've owned three LP400 let alone all the other Lambos! If you're still working on that "Countach Bible" then please put me down for one definite pre-order! I need that sitting next to my copy of your Miura book.

joe sackey likes this.
  25. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Beautiful,what a color combo, stunning congrats, post some more info,please.