Countach Tires - does anyone care | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Countach Tires - does anyone care

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Longstone Tyres, Dec 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    We will be buying these this year....? Or will it likely/ realistically be 2019?

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey

3. Maser

Maser Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Harry Metcalfe
    I'm pleased to report my Countach is now fitted with a set of Pirelli's reintroduced Cinturato P7 tyres, which I'm currently doing as many (varied) miles on as I can over the next few weeks, after which I will report back to Pirelli on my findings comparing these to the P-Zero Asimmetrico tyre. Before then, though, I thought you guys would be interested to know some initial thoughts.

First thing to note is the very different profile at the outer edges of the P7 compared to the Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico, as you can see in this photo..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    You can see how the shoulders of the rear tyres are much more rounded. It's the same story on the fronts but a big surprise is the P7 tyres have much less tread depth than the P-Zero, which I think is a good thing as I felt excessive tread block movement was a significant issue with new P-Zero Countach tyres. The P-Zero tyres that came off my car still had around 6-7mm tread depth after around 6,000mls and set of nearly new tyres I have as spares have between 8-9mm tread depth, while the new P7 tyres have approx 6mm of tread depth, or around 30% less than a new P-Zero.

Once I drove the Countach with the P7 fitted I could feel the difference straight away, the car immediately felt as if it was riding better on the P7, there was none of the 'squirm' I had felt when I first fitted a set of new P-Zero tyres. There was much less tram-lining apparent, which I guess must be something to do with the more rounded profile presenting less tread on the road when the car is running straight. I've only done around 200miles on them so far but now they are broken in, I want to try them on more demanding roads as I have a suspicion out-right grip might be lower than the P-Zero but I'm hoping the outer limit of grip is easier to read, which was another failing for me with the P-Zero Countach tyre.

That said, I already feel these new P7 tyres suit the Countach better than the P-Zero, they feel 'right' straight out of the box, which is not something I felt with the P-Zero but I'll report more thoughts once I've put more miles on them.

Here are some more photos of how the tyres look on the car (the hand-written number on the side-wall is to signify these are pre-production customer standard tyres, which have been checked by Pirelli and cleared for testing), they don't look as imposing as the P-Zero did but somehow look very right on a Countach..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

BBoyJmE, NürScud, Spyder-Man and 3 others like this.
  4. Craig Holcomb

Craig Holcomb Rookie

Jun 10, 2008
    Has anyone heard the status on the 285/40/15 P7? Are they still on hold?

5. Maser

Maser Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Harry Metcalfe
    I would need to check with Longstone Tyres but I believe Dougal had a set of those on the van when he came up to fit these 345/35R15 to my car. He also had a set of P7 205/50 fronts for early Countach, which haven't been available for decades.

6. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Nice, moving right along. Thanks for testing (risking lol) Harry.

7. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Thank you Sir. This is great news! I hope they are a hit and you can recommend them. Get that video camera rolling.

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Fantastic, thank you for doing the testing Harry.

Dougal has been great with heads-up along the way and I look forward to receiving an early set!

Your comments only confirm my expectations and what I have said for years: the PZero is not the correct spec tire for the pre-Anniverstay Countach.

Even my old P7s feel much better than new PZeros.

Personally, I do not care for the tread-pattern on the PZeros and much prefer the rounder shoulders and iconic tread pattern of the P7.

A fantastic conclusion to an epic story of persistence.

NürScud likes this.
  9. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  10. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Your tyres are on the way Joe!

11. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    Fwiw last weekend a Pantera enthusiast told me that the 285/40 were being made [for the front] so that a full set would be available for the Pantera. There are no 195/50 on the cards [for the front of the Silhouette] so the 205/50 will have to suffice...

12. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
  13. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.

The homologation Silhouette 40026 on P7s outside the factory when new...

NürScud and S_AGATA like this.
  14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thank you Dougal, I'm honored to receive set number 1 for the USA, I don't know what to say, except that I need to call you Monday and pay up!!

15. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    #315 P300V8, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    P7s were initially seen on Bravo in 1974 and they were tested by Sterzel on the arancio P250 bodied Urraco muletto in the last quarter of 1975 and the Silhouette proto snorkel car in the winter of 75/76. Guerra told me that he made the arches and snorkel engine cover from aluminium...

S_AGATA likes this.
  16. Maser

Maser Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Harry Metcalfe
    I spent today driving my P7 equipped Countach on the more dynamic roads I use for most of my filming and I'm very pleased to report I like these new P7 even more today than I did before.

My fear the grip levels wouldn't be there like before proved to be unfounded, I'd have to go on track to push any harder than I did today and yet the car didn't spring any surprises, understeer was minimal and reading what was happening at the tyre contact patch was much easier with these new P7 tyres than with the P-Zero tyres I had fitted previously. In fact, my Countach felt better dynamically today than it has ever felt before, which is such great news.

In summary, these P7 tyres tramline less, ride better, deliver similar levels of grip but better feel than the P-Zero, which is a great list of attributes and a remarkable result for Countach owners. If you care about how your Countach drives, then I have no hesitation in saying these are the tyres for you, thank you to all involved in getting them back in production, us Countach owners should be most grateful.

Pirelli were asking for feedback on Friday afternoon before pressing the (production) button but I wanted more time to try them on these more testing roads before reporting. The only thing I haven't done is test them in the wet but I don't see this as a critical factor in how they drive, so I will file my report in the morning

BBoyJmE, joe sackey and NürScud like this.
  17. Maser

Maser Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Harry Metcalfe
    Not sure where Douglas came from, meant to read Dougal, apologies. I blame auto spell checker!

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Speaking to a tire engineer, I was told to expect good things with today's rubber compounds.

Hearing your Countach feels better than it has ever done only underscores my belief that these cars can be made to work incredibly well by following the original format.

I cannot wait to get these P7s on our Countach as we had the suspension completely rebuilt during the restoration and subsequently dialed-in.

A big win for the Countach in general, epic news all round, and thank you again for the effort.

Yes we are lucky to get early sets of tires and I appreciate Dougal doing that.

19. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Fantastic, souds like we all will enjoy our cars even more, can not waith to get a set, will they be avail in Us thru Pirell Us? Or will Longstone tires be exclusive?

20. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

These tyres are available through the various distributors of Pirelli's classic range, which are available here https://www.cinturato.net/ top right hand corner.

In the US they will be available through Lucas Antique tyres https://www.lucasclassictires.com/Pirelli-Cinturato_c255.htm they aren't listed on their web site yet, so just give them a tinkle -- 1(800)952-4333

21. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
  22. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    I am posting this message in hope that Dougal does not see it ;)

Unless you guys are getting an unbelievable 20% 30% 50% off on a set of tires from somewhere in your/our country, I would heavily suggest and recommend buying them from Longstone.
    '
    Dougal has been one of the driving forces for us owners and is the ONLY tire guy that has kept us updated. The other distributors have rather just sat back and waited for these and its orders from owners. I do not recall any of them checking with us.
    Look at this thread and when it started on Dec 23, 2015. Has anyone else thought about us and checked with us? No.

Now we have Harry testing and posting his feedback here, to us! Really, us guys, not just Pirelli.
    To save a hundred, if that, is not really worth it considering all that has been done for us. Plus it looks like free shipping to the States, at least.

That's just my 2 cents. I will be ordering at a later date as my car's getting a bunch of other much need work done. Even though I have pretty new P-Zeros on it!

Jalpa_Mike and S_AGATA like this.
  23. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Btw, can we get them with raised white Pirelli letters ;) :)

24. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    I was wondering the same thing Peter. Dougal offers free shipping. Not sure what Lucas Tire will do once they have them in stock, but I could see $100+ shipping charges tacked on. I agree with you that Dougal put this baby together, I’d order from him without question.

Not only that, but I must say I was shocked at the price. All this time I had been assuming the price of the new P7 would be as expensive, if not more, then the P-Zero Asimetrico tires. What a surprise to see both sizes of the P7 were less than 1/2 of the P-Zero!! Its almost like Christmas in May! :)

Thanks again to all involved in putting this together.

Mike

P.S. Just curiouw for those who have the tires already, what are the date codes? I’m assuming they are something like “1118, 1218, 1318” or something close.

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Success is almost always the result of a joint effort and a positive mindset, and this thread underscores that, and Pirelli should be applauded for listening

You can paint them on as Pirelli did for the Auto Shows in yellow, meanwhile I think the moulds are set with 'Pirelli Cinturato P7'

The pricing means that PZeros (which are not the right equipment anyway) will almost always be passed over in favor of the P7 for the Countach, thereby making it viable for continued prodction by Pirelli

Meanwhile, only Harry has a set, mine are in transit, I'll check codes when they arrive