Coupes vs. Spiders which do you like | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Coupes vs. Spiders which do you like

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by vincent355, Jul 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

how do you like to ride?

1. coupe

2. targa

3. spider

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think its pretty funny that so many think they are such professional drivers that any extra body flex or wind resistance the spider may have will impair performance. Oh no, you just may get to the mall 1/2 second later! And others that think a spider is a poser car to be seen in(as if a ferrari coupe just moves through traffic anonymously). They are all street cars, not race cars and if you don't like convertibles or the looks of them that is fine but some of the reasoning is too funny.

2. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Different strokes for different folks. Plus different strokes for the same folks at different times:

Berlinetta for me. I drive fast, and the realities are that the wind buffeting at high-speeds becomes irritating very quickly. Plus I agree with PSk's comments. Coupes are:

Nonetheless, there is nothing more fun during a night out on the town then a Spider. A GTS is a happy medium, but with most Targa tops, and certainly with Ferrari 355's, there is often creaking and rattling with the GTS top on, which is highly irritating.

3. mikeivan

mikeivan Rookie

Feb 25, 2004
    What is the origin of the term "spider"? Are all convertibles spiders? or just F and P cars? or what? Some cars just look better as coupes, imho.

4. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My 1st 2 Fcars were a 84 GTS and then 87 GTS. Then I happened to buy a 77 GTB because it was too cheap to pass up. I liked the way it drove much better and looked better, too. So...I sold the 77 and 87 and bought a 94 TB, then an 85 GTB (very rare in US) and finally my current 89 GTB.

308's and 328's are not particularly stiff cars to begin with, even GTB's and I really don't like the flex. I think, performance wise, the difference is negligible, they just drive better. Newer cars are stiffer to begin with, so flex is not as big an issue. A 360 spider is probably more stiff than my 328 GTB. IMO, coupes are the purest form, and with rare exceptions (like a 275 NART spider) better looking. That's why my handle is "Hardtop".

Lastly, I know I am in the minority, the market says so. 360 spider sales outnumbr coupes about 3-1 in the US.

Dave

5. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I've always preferred coupes. They look better, they drive better, and I can drive around without constantly being gawked at.

fwiw, I think the 355 Spider looks great and the 360 Spider looks awkward. Clearly a minority viewpoint!

6. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    #31 venusone, Jul 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While riding top-down in the Miata seals it label as a “fun car”, I don’t do it as often as I’d like because it’s a manual top. If I had the luxury of lowering it w/ the touch of a button, I would enjoy it more. I know, how lazy of me. I like the lines of a coupe MUCH better & therefore prefer a hardtop.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    I prefer targa.

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Can I say all three? Kuzi's got it down... but a painted targa top gives you the best of both worlds. In the 355, berlinetta looks best.

--Dan

9. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Interesting.

It seems that spider owners are more outspoken than coupe owners. Which seems to fit with the reasons some people own spiders (recognition) and some own coupes (low profile, if any ferrari classifies as such).

Yet coupe seems to be winning at this time.

Personally I like the styling on the coupe much better than the spider especially for the 348 and 355. The 360 spider is a better design and more integrated IMO.

Kuzi,

You're a rockstar! some people just can't carry it off the way you do. When's the next time you're back in the bay area?

10. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I just like sitting outside in the sunshine - couldn't care less who sees me. Well, except for those breast flashing women every one seems to have seen but me.....

I generally agree with you, especially the 355 - it is a beautiful car in the berlinetta. I haven't warmed to the 360 styling generally, and the in particular the spider.

But I like to sit outside in the sunshine........

Cheers
    Kevin

11. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    I always love the idea of a cabrio - my friends usually go for cabrio models of their cars (Merc, BMW etc) and I do enjoy being a passenger in them... however when I buy my cars I always end up going for the hard tops.... maybe partly to do with our weather in the UK?? I don't know. Perhaps if we had slightly more favourable weather I would go with the drop top.

With regards to the 355 I love the Berlinetta shape, Spider roof up doesn't look good to me, roof down is a different story though.

12. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario

13. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Mario,

Good to hear from you. It's been a while. the corvette comment almost made water come out of my nose.

I was referring to the number of spider posts vs. the actual voting.

You definitely have the right color, IMO.

Are you going to the ALMS race at infineon on the 18th. There will be a corral for the ferraris through the FCA. I'm pretty sure spiders are welcome. :)

14. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    so true , jeff.. i was thinking the same thing.... my friend in cali. races a lot and he has driven both 360 coupes and spiders and even at track speeds, he says the difference only minimally noticalbe... certainly on the road it is not.. on a nice day, i do not like conv. because i am a poser but because i enjoy the sun and wind and fresh air...if i am a poser, then coupe drivers are socially stunted hermitts with a phobia to the outside world!!! hows that for name calling,lol!!!!!

15. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Wow, I wasn't expecting a poser vs. non poser thread.

Also was not expecting coupes to be leading the way, as it seems that spiders are so popular.

interesting.

16. 360 GT

360 GT Karting

Jul 8, 2004
    Corona, Ca
    Full Name:
    Sean Dunne
    if im at a track then coupe at the way aerodynamically but im a stunter i love to have the top down and just haulin ass in the spyder!...... f1 spyder all the way

17. superyota

superyota Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Newport Beach
    I drive a 360 coupe but the 360 spider is the hottest car on the road when the top is down.... The coupe is the second best looking car out..imo

18. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Hell, to tell you the truth, I'd drive anything with a Ferrari stamped on the hood.

Thanks Vincent:).............Next trip to SF is probably sometime in early september...............of course I might have to cancel at the last minute.........if you know what I mean (DAN!).;)

19. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I've always been a coupe man myself, but cannot deny that the 360 spider (with top-down) is just dead dead sexy. The problem, however, is that the 360 spider with the top UP is awkward-looking and just plain ugly. So if I lived in an area with year-round awesome weather (i.e. not NYC), then I'd get the spider, but for general usefulness, the coupe is the way to go.

But I do have to add -- In the summer, on a nice 70-degree day, at dusk, there is nothing better in the world than driving a spider.

nlh

20. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle

except driving a coupe!

21. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i would hardly call a 360 spider with the top up plain ugly!!!!in fact as far as conv . go,it looks less awkward than most and still is a nice looking with the top upthe 550 b is ugly with the top up, as is the 3 series bmw, the clk mb, etc....

22. ecadwell

ecadwell Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Bend, OR
    Full Name:
    Eric Cadwell
    I love the lines on those coupes... Can't get enough!

23. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Personally there is nothing better in the world than driving a spider - full stop.

I have only just bought my first Fcar and it had to be a convertible, when the weathers good or bad nothing beats the 'wind in your hair' feeling - a/c is no substitute.