Couple 348SS S/Ns | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Couple 348SS S/Ns

Discussion in '348/355' started by FandLcars, Dec 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    mine does NOT have a plate. it is # 98737 i did research and it is supposedly number 6 . wtf the plate is dont know, none were ever installed. factory has no clue.

2. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Again, I really do not care what the factory rating is/was. Ferrari has skewed reported power output in the past. Maybe the data on all SS cars were all adjusted by the factory. Who knows? We are more concerned with where the rubber hits the road. BTW, I have seen Spiders and SS cars all rated at 310 or 312 HP and I have not been able to determine which was "correct". Euro cars have the 320 HP rating. I am beginning to think that all the data may be suspect. So quibbling about printed engine output data probably is not as important as the equipment that each SS type car was furnished with. I also call attention to the part numbers for the ECU's (which are not different) and the exhausts (which are). Not that that makes a difference either.

I enjoy the discussion, but I do not want to get sidetracked into an argument over what I feel are suspicious data points to begin with. SS cars are great. 1992-1993 are the seminal models; 1994's are somewhat unknown due to their scarcity. Some ppl think that the 1994 SS model was nothing more than a factory or FNA sales gimmick to move cars in a difficult market. Probably true for all SS cars and 348 derivations. It marks an interesting point in their history, I think. Oh, and I certainly don't take anything written here personally, so take heart from that. A 348 Brother is, after all, a Brother. :)

3. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Do you have vin #'s of any pre '93 or '94's that were retrofitted?

4. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    I test drove a '92 tb before i bought the '94. The '92 had a tubi so it sounded more harsh. The ride is much more stiff on the '94 due to mods. Mine (unbeknow to the dealer and me at the time) had been raced, so the suspension was set up for that. With the 18 in speedlines it really handles well on the track. A little bit rough on the road for some maybe, but acceptable (desired) to me.

5. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    I think they were a FNA or even dealer installed. I understand the '94 serie challenge plate was an after thought and not all cars had them installed. The #'ing does not follow chronologically with the vin's either on the challenge plate.