F8 - Couple curious questions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 Couple curious questions

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 05F430F1, Mar 15, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

Things do and can change, that you can count on however in reading what you have posted, and I do appreciate it, it also says that the month and year can also be listed. I am just glad to know that I can date code just about anything on my 50+ year old muscle cars including the glass and I enjoy knowing that provenance if you can get it. A quick example is my 1969 Camaro where I decoded the passenger side rear glass and it was actually made in 1968 when they took it off the shelf to install it on the car I own. In addition to those markings, its also cool to find VIN numbers marked in various locations and of course the engines where everything had a code on it and I guess I do wonder if the Italia's and Speciale's and other Ferrari's have Vin numbers on the engines as well. Happy hunting.

2. Yes, no doubt.

My point only was that it is not legally required, at least not in the US.

3. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

Sure and what I said about change is always possible. It could very well be that it was not legally required but that the manufacturers decided to do it for their own quality control or there was a time moving forward that may have changed the law. I don' have that answer and its not important really other than to attempt to decode a car as much as you can to authenticate it.