couple of questions on F430 | FerrariChat

couple of questions on F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Jan 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

1. is it supposed to blow hot air even if the ON/OFF button is pressed in? Isn't it supposed to blow ambient air, which is cold in north hemisphere now?
    2. does the Euro version F430 has precat in the header , does it have 2nd air injection?

Yesitsfast likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    1. not sure anyone actually knows the answer to this. to get the air to stop blowing i press the re-circulation button

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    With the on/ off pressed in, you should get no airflow. When it is out you get air flow

All 430 has pre cats in the manifolds which have a habit of getting sucked back into the engine

4. johncasale

johncasale Karting

May 18, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    1. You do not get heat with the a/c switch in the off position. It will blow ambient air in the off position. It must be in the on position to get heat in the winter/cold in summer depending on the temperature setting.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Glad I'm not the only one confused by this. I thought it also depended on if either than temperature control or fan control were set to "Auto". User manual doesn't help. And before you ask, yes, both directional arrows blink whether you have your left or right turn signal on.

6. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I agree quite confusing; the old hit the buttons and try different combinations on the control tends to work in getting the hot air out; usually. :)

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This same thing comes up every couple of months. It is climate control; it is not hot/cold. If you think about it being climate control on/off it makes perfect sense.

Caeruleus11 and whatheheck like this.
  8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    with climate control off air still comes through the vents - thats what i understood the OP question to be. to get no air from the vents you need to have the system off and push the recirculation button

Caeruleus11 and Skidkid like this.
  9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    TT you are correct. And turn the fan off.

10. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

First, the auto button wasn't pressed.
    The temperaure is set to its max heat. I press OUT the On/Off button, and it blows hot air---- that is normal.
    What I think is not normal is, when I press IN the on/off button, it still blows hot air, and it is 0 degrees outside the car.

I vaguely remember this indicates a heater control valve failure, any one shed some lights?

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    What happens if u press the recirculation button like i said?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    What happens if u press the recirculation button like i said?

13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

no, i didn't try it yet. But I think you don't understand my purpose

My purpose is: I want ambient air to be blowing out of the vent when the air outside is cold when the On/Off is pressed IN and the temperature setting is to max heat.

On my CS, it will blow COLD AIR when On/Off is IN and temp is set to max heat and outside temp is cold.

( i am thinking of buying this car)

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh i dont get it. U cant moderate with the temperature control? Good luck

15. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

ok, about the temp, here's what i am confused. Assume weather is cold, 0 degrees C (32 Degrees F)

On my CS, i am driving normally with heat on ( On/OFF button OUT, temp to max heat)
    I will immediately get cold air if I press ON/OFF button IN.

On the said 430, i am driving normally with heat on (On/OFF button OUT, temp to max heat)
    I will STILL get HOT AIR if I press ON/OFF button IN.

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Not sure. I really only drive my 360 cs and 430 in summer so i usually have ac on or system off and the top down.

17. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Yes. I can moderate the temp control. But I do not want to.
    I want to blow air from outside the car, regardless the outside is cold or hot.

So i'll try your recirculation method a little later today. You got a good point.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    To be honest im confused myself now. I thought u were originally asking how to stop air flowing from the vents

19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I throught i used to understand the system, now u r getting me confused.

20. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Not a 430, just a 360. One thing I do have, is if I don't actually use the air conditioner in my Modena, there's a very faint warm flow of air that comes from the vents. This assumes I have not placed it on recirculating air, and it is not also turned 'off' with that one button. Once I turn the air flow dial to auto or to 1, 2 or 3, then, and only then will it begin to run cool air if I chose a temperature which is supposed to be cool, rather than warm. I'm thinking it might have been easier to just keep it always warm via the radiators giving it some heat unless the owner explicitly decides to choose a cooler temperature, after which the condenser turns on, and there's always just a little bit of warm ear leakage due to the design if the driver chooses not to. I may be very wrong with my thinking, it doesn't really bother me...

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    im asking jerry to opine - he knows everything

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thanks for the compliment Ricky. In this case Im confused too! The only thing I can add, most modern cars, and I think the F430 also, monitors the outside temp vs the inside temp and so if you select 70F for your desired interior temp and if it is 32F outside, it will run heat. If you select the same 70F and it is 90F outside, then it will go for AC. The F430 HVAC would require periodic adjustment while I drove- the longer I drive I would have to just nudge the temp one way or another. I think you are operating it correctly. So I suspect something is wrong with your cars HVAC.

23. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    Yes, according to the 430 manual, that's how it should work. The ON/OFF only controls the AC and should have no effect on the heating function.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The 360 manual says the same thing. I am not sure why your CS is behaving differently, but I do know there is enough variation in behavior based on model year and specific car configurations to cause confusion.

Caeruleus11 and 24000rpm like this.
  24. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think the 328 is so much simpler. You get hot air no matter what, even with the A/C set to max. But with the A/C on, at least you get a splash of cold water on your wife / girlfriend / navigator / codriver’s feet in the middle of every left hand turn.

Skidkid likes this.
  25. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#25 24000rpm, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    ok, enough for the A/C issue, i think its minor and ferrari ( or I) wouldn't care too much about it anyways.
    let's talk about the car itsself, i am about to buy it.
    I test drive the car, the f430 steering is really different than my Modena(360 is better). its difficult to describe it but the 430 is not as accurate and not as easier to turn to what you want.

Anyway, this is a late version Euro car,made in 2008. When I cold start the car i heard a distinct low frequency sound coming out of the engine. The sound is like a tractor, accompanied by a small shake throughout the whole car. Is that the infamous header leak? After about 1-2 minutes, the noise goes away and the car runs a smooth idle. There's no CEL.