Couple tech issues | FerrariChat

Couple tech issues

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Jdubbya, Mar 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I have a couple issues that I've not been able to figure out. First is a laptop that refuses to update the software. It's WIN10 and the laptop itself I think is an HP that's not very old. It starts to update, says it's complete, then goes into a loop where it says it can't complete the updates and undoes them. This whole process takes a LONG time too.

I've tried every solution I could find by googling the issue. None have worked. I've stopped and restarted the update manager, deleted all the old update files and logs etc. Nothing seems to work. The only other thing I can figure out to do is completely reinstall the OS and be done with it but I'm afraid to find out that won't solve it either. Either that or I'm just going to wipe it and buy a new one, it's been a pain in the ass since I bought it.

The other issue is with my Roku4. It worked fine for a while but now every time I go to switch the tv over to it I have to go unplug the Roku and let it reboot. It just shows a blank blue screen on the tv when I switch the source to it. When I push a button I hear it beep, but it does nothing on screen until I unplug it and reboot it. I've updated the firmware and it says it's the latest version, still no luck. Not a big deal but kind of a pain at the same time.

Thanks in advance for the help, I know there are some smart folks here!!!
    John

2. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Did deleting the old update files include deleting the catalog file?
    Did you try Microsoft's fixit tool?
    https://aka.ms/wudiag

3. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Not sure, I've been through several different sites ideas on how to fix it and none have worked. I have tried the Microsoft troubleshooter. Once or twice it's found some issue and claimed it fixed it but still no joy. I'll try the one you linked when I get home.

4. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Let us know if the Fixit tool worked. I had a very similar issue a couple months ago with several laptops (also HPs). I believe the fix for me was multiple cycles of running the updates, running the "Windows found errors and needs to fix them", rebooting, and running the updates again. Total mystery as to why the problem but I just assume some file or files get corrupt and Windows struggles to delete or overwrite them.

5. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I think I've done that one but may try it again. I tried the other one you linked with no luck. It just got stuck in the startup "can't complete changes" loop. I tried to reset it once I stopped and started it with the power button three times but that didn't work either. I just happened to be at Costco today and saw a decent deal on a new one but when I got to the register they told me they were out. Not having a good "tech time" these days. Oh well. I'll figure something out eventually. Thanks for the ideas!!

6. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
  7. Jeppedo

Jeppedo Karting

Sep 30, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Hi John - Have you given up on your laptop and bought a new one or are you still working on the problem? I'd like to help if I can. If you still want to troubleshoot the issue can you tell me the exact HP model you have. Also, the Windows 10 version currently running. You can get this a couple of ways. Right click the windows icon on the task bar, the select run, and key in winver. This will return the version and build. Is the laptop running fine otherwise?