Couple Test Drives this morning 365BB, 512BBi, 308 Glass GTB | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Couple Test Drives this morning 365BB, 512BBi, 308 Glass GTB

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by glh, Apr 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Can someone say who is selling the 365BB?

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I would be interested in the 365bb as well. It looks to be quite an early one judging from the seats...

Edit add:
    Although just looking at it, it seems to be a 'pure' Euro car devoid of all US required safety lights, bumpers, etc. May need to be sure the EPA/DOT paperwork is in order and a call to Mr Richard Merritt at DOT...
    I do like the 8 track.

3. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Are these cars being offered by RPM out of vergennes Vt?

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    that 365bb is "IT" ! i even like the fact its "NOT RED" . yep..... i would buy it . :)

5. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    The cars seem nice. Now starts the deducing and questioning.

pros: ultra rare, (seems in) excellent shape, 12 cylinders.
    cons:parts (harder to find and expensive), maintenance (more expensive than a 308).

512i
    pros: rare (compared to the availability of 308's, 328's...), less tempermental & easier to service that a carbed Boxer, 12 cylinders.
    cons: same as 365.

pros: (fiberglass) THE most desireable of the 308's, less prone to rust, more HP, parts & maintenance (more available and less costly, when compared to a Boxer).
    cons: interior looks a little tired, 8 cylinders (I'm gonna get flamed for this!), not as fast or exclusive as a Boxer.

In the end...it's up to you. Like I once told you, there is a Ferrari out there to satisfy every need and every budget.

6. glh

glh Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2005
    Burlington VT
    Full Name:
    G.L.
    #31 glh, Apr 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am posting in the few windows of free times I have here.

Your assessments are extremely accurate regarding the two models (365&512)

And the reasons why I am leaning toward the 512 is also for the reason you mention regarding the 512 being more civil... at least compared to the 365. (Warning to the purist... I am a definite neophyte at driving those rigs)

To hang on the wall and as an investment.... 365 all the way... actually THAT 365... but a car and specially a Ferrari is not an investment in my book. When I get one I intend to drive it and thus maintain it. This brings me to the 512. I am now considering Carbureted versions also since this shop is in my backyard.

Driving impressions...
    I drove the 512 BBi first and after more than likely 5 months of hibernation here in Vermont the thing started right up. Warmed up fine and then we took of on a Vermont country road (two lanes, plenty of curves, and long straight shots going up and down... in other words... perfect) My host drove first on the out leg... about 7 or so miles and I drove on the way back. The car felt like a heavy go cart (awesome) with gobs of power and torque. The front end was bouncy but my host had mentioned that the front shocks needed to be re-done and that I would not fell this bouncing around in the 365 that was perfect in regards to suspension and actually close to everything. The bouncing around settled down over 80 mph and my first ride in F. V-12 was bliss... a little bouncy on the front end but I account that to the shocks of this specific car not the whole line.
    Come back into the parking lot park it and jump into the 365. Steve my host drives out again over the same road... this car fells nimbler smaller more responsive (carbs) it sounds a little meaner... throathyer (?) and once I drive it I mention to Steve that I feel more comfortable in it. He says that the steering wheel is not as thick and maybe a little smaller than the on the 512 thus giving the legs on my fat 6'3" frame more space while squeezed between the steering and the shifter especially in the lower gears... The front shocks on this thing are perfect (as far as I can ascertain in my very limited F-Car driving experience) and that car is rock solid and has that 20-pound go-cart with a V-12 feeling I now know I want!!!

Price wise the 365 in such a good shape as far as I can ascertain (no knowledge here) is out of what I want to jam in such a car. It is literally 45-50% more than a good enough for me 512... I'm not looking for Barret-Jackson kind of "original air in the tire" deals I want something that "dare I say here" I can "run through it's paces" (read beat on a little) every spring and fall while I wait for boating season to be perfect here on Lake Champlain...

Regarding maintenance... I have been reading a lot in the last month around here about the costs and compared to boating and the thrills it gives me it sounds like a walk in the park... and driving those v-12's today were getting remotely close to the thrills boating gives me and at that... dare I say... at a fraction of the price!!! So inherently "You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs” pay to play!

I will get to the glass 308 later I have to go play darts with the some buddies downtown, now that my wife and two sons are sleeping.

Of course I have yet to see you guys post pics of chicks in bathing suits and thongs while drinking beers in the sun all afternoon and crashing (read sleeping) in your rigs… which is what we do all summer in our boats… but this pastime has a lot of potential and looks like it’s fun enough now that I have the boat I want!!!

I know you guys might not give a rat’s rear end but this is my pride and joy (toys wise anyway). 2000 / 42’ Cigarette Twin Supercharged Chevy 502’s bored out to 509ci (I did have this little blow up last year during a poker run in NY needing re-boring! J ) pumping out 1300 hp’s altogether runs 80 mph. It gets a whole 0.6 miles a gallon. But I digress!!!

Anytime anyone here hauls up to lake Champlain this summer PM me for my call and I’ll take you for a ride.

If you read all this congrats and keep the suggestions coming regarding what model F-Car you like and your experience.

G.L.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. glh

glh Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2005
    Burlington VT
    Full Name:
    G.L.
    Yes

8. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Are you sure all these pics of the blue 365 are of the same car??
    Radio different from shot to shot, carpet different colors, filter covers different colors, gas caps different???

9. glh

glh Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2005
    Burlington VT
    Full Name:
    G.L.
    #34 glh, Apr 13, 2005
    Your right...
    The three last pics of post #23 are from a car Steve gave me the pictures of (another 365) he is preping and has already sold to someone else... My mistake.

Pardon me.

Here are the outside of that one...He gave me a ton of pics of that one too... Pardon my confusion but as I said, I'm new at this Ferrari thing.

10. jmn

jmn Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    jmn
    I have all the above cars, but unfortunately the 365 is the kind with the motor in the front and the kids in the back. I've driven a few carb and injected Boxers and I much prefer the carb cars. Better sounds, better throttle response, and more top end power, no question. They are also currently slightly cheaper, which I attribute primarily to the fear factor on emissions issues and secondarily to the fact that they are older and on average in poorer condition. My carb 512 is an 81, black/bordeaux and in excellent condition. My 308 is a '77 glass euro spec (dry sump, single dist, etc) black/tan, also excellent. Simply put, although I consider my type of 308 the best of the series, it doesn't compare to the Boxer- it is a good handler, but requires a lot more work to drive fast and is pretty slow over 100mph by comparison. A Boxer is a much more serious proposition, and while you can toodle around in town pretty well due to all the torque, I guarantee you'll find yourself going way too fast, even insanely fast, on B roads. The Boxer is fine on the freeway, but really very boring. If you want to absolutely fall in love with the car, drive it on a windy road where most corners can be made in the 50-100 mph range. It doesn't feel as planted as a modern car, but that's mostly due to the overall liveliness of the feedback and the skinny tires. The back end can feel a little loose and even borderline scary at times, but ultimately the grip is there and you have to be pretty stupid to lose the car (I sure hope I don't ever have to live that last sentence down). I'm sure a lot of people remember the first time they drove a 308 and how nasty and awkward the gearshift felt. After subsequent drives, you learn the car and the rhythms required for flawless shifts and all of a sudden you just love that nasty gearshift, and nothing else seems quite as much fun. The Boxer is just like that, only more so, if that makes any sense. When you first drive one it feels fast, big, almost unwieldy. With time, it shrinks around you and starts to feel almost delicate. The engine is just amazing for its flexibility, considering its lack of variable cam timing, variable intake runners, etc- all the things that we now take for granted. For me, it is not just about going fast, as there are many newer cars, including cheap ones, that are a lot faster. It's about the whole experience and the Boxer delivers the goods.
    I note that the pictures of the cars here appear to present more than one car as a single car, and some pictures (many?) are available elsewhere on the net, so I'm not sure how serious this thread is, but if you ARE serious about buying one of these cars, I think you can't go wrong buying any decent Boxer. I'll even stick my neck out and say that if you buy one and keep it, eventually people will actually think you were pretty smart to do so.

11. glh

glh Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2005
    Burlington VT
    Full Name:
    G.L.
    The dark blue car I saw today and drove....The lighter blue car as mentioned in the post above yours are pictures I was provided from my host Steve during my visit.
    I made a mistake posting pics in post #23 and ackowldged it.
    I am used to skepticisme on Message-boards like this and have a track record on an offshore boating board anyone here can verifiy. My screen name is the same, GLH.
    http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

I have over 8500 posts over there and have met hundreds of people on it and no one over there has ever called me a liar. There are "trolls" over there as much as I am sure they show up here but don't mistake me for one. Anyone can call me on my cell at 802-734-8284 and dare me for any satements I make here if it makes anyone feel better.

I'm easy to find also.

G. L. Harvie

12. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    At ease there Ghyslain. I recognized Steve's place from one of your interior Boxer shots.

13. glh

glh Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2005
    Burlington VT
    Full Name:
    G.L.
    Those Corsa Red barns are easy to pick out... :D

14. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Actually...it's the wall that sparked my memory,as well the silver-grey hue of the hood.

15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    GLH : sorry about the skeptacism here on this board. You do not have to "prove" anything to anyone. I was met with the same by some and my thoughts are F them , I know what I have.

16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    What's up with those seats in the 365BB. Tell me those are Not stock seats. Is that what they origanally came with!

17. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    In fact, the June 1975 issue of Road & Track mentiones that the 365BB seats were upholstered in some sort of burlap-like cloth.

18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The dark blue 365BB is fantastic.

I believe the reason carbed 512BBs are worth less than BBis has to do with the difficulty of registering them in California. California is probably the largest single market for Boxers, and if you have to eliminate all California buyers you are greatly narrowing the field. Fewer buyers = lower prices.

Boxers are wonderful cars. Totally impractical, in any rational sense, but that's half the fun.

19. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I posted earlier and I still love the blue 365bb. Now I've got a reason to go visit my mom too - she remarried and lives in Newport VT so I gotta get up there and then pop down for a ride in that boat!!!

Good luck on choosing - I stand by my earlier post that my 348 would be history in a heartbeat if I could bring that dark blue 365bb home.

Cheers
    Kevin

20. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

21. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    I have owned both a 512BBi and my current 365 BB (S/N 18745). I will second what some of the people have said on this thread. The 365 is a raw, loud car that is very exciting to drive. However, it needs to be driven at higher revs to develop its power potential. The 512BBi is somewhat more refined and with more mid-range power, making it easier to drive on the streets. I am attracted to the 365BB because I like its cleaner styling (without the front spoiler, NACA ducts, wide dished rear wheels) and I love the sounds that it makes.

By the way, the seat coverings in that blue 365BB are not original. There were only three types of seats on 365BBs: The early 365s had one piece seats (fixed seatbacks) with cloth (very few early cars) or with leather (almost all of them). The later 365s had two piece seats (adjustable seatbacks) with only leather surfaces. It appears that the seats in the blue 365 have been re-covered with non-original style leather.

22. glh

glh Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2005
    Burlington VT
    Full Name:
    G.L.
    #47 glh, Apr 14, 2005
    Kevin/ Your more than welcome for a ride, besides you'll fly into Burlington if you come this way. Newport is a couple hours WNW from here.

I got to get Bernie in his 308 and those Montreal dudes down here and take them for a ride. :D Heck it's only 90 miles from the Champlain Bridge!

As for the original seats in that 365... I am sure anyone here is better informed than me as to what they were when the car was new. Steve did mention that he did not think the seats were redone but pointed out that the leather on the middle cluster matched the seats and the dash and "between seats" cluster were redone in leather.

On more questions for you experts... After riding in those three cars.... Why do they even bother putting radios in these things??? Who wants to spoil the harmony happening behind the seats with music???

23. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    Out of curiosity, what is the market $$$ for a 365? What might that dark blue one be worth????

In all honesty, I did not know that the 512 had a predocessor, i.e. the 365...

24. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    According to the Mercato section in Cavallino magazine: between 50 & 100K, depending on condition, demand...

25. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I actually go often to Burlington and northern Vermont with the wife, so I may just take up your offer and gather up a few of my Ferrari buddies this time.

I agree, a waste of valuable dash space. Those radios have to work harder that Ricky Martin's girlfriend...Heyooooooo!!!!!!!!