News

Coys of Kensington Insolvency

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Marcel Massini, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  2. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Gee, how is this possible? Not supported by the British government. Or pre-Corona misery?

Ciao
    Oscar

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Isle of Luci
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Isn’t this the second time for them?

375+ likes this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Rossa Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    ish?

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  5. wolfchen75

wolfchen75 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    Bridgehampton
    terrible but perhaps not the last classic dealer to go bust ?

turbo-joe likes this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6 Nembo1777, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    True story: Monaco auction preview 2012, I was looking at the ex Lord Bamford Khamsin and just when I saw there was a bird's nest in the engine bay -I kid you not, great cleaning work chaps!- the O letter of the Coys sign behind me fell on me and I had not touched it. Thankfully it was in styrofoam....Basil Fawlty would have been proud.
    Did one of their directors not get led away in handcuffs at their Essen auction last year? Enough said.

375+, turbo-joe and readplays like this.
  7. Ozeskiman

Ozeskiman Karting

May 15, 2016
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Tony
    This is the 2nd time. First was around 2000 I recall. Then they restarted from a small mews showroom somewhere strings Knightsford. I went there to look at a California Spider they had for sale. Around 300,000 pounds at the time. Could've done, should've done. Isn't hindsight wonderful.

8. Ozeskiman

Ozeskiman Karting

May 15, 2016
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Tony
    That should read Kighstbridge.

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Knightsbridge

10. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    They have (had) a terrible reputation in the UK so much so there is a group on Zuckerburg's empire dedicated to people who have had problems dealing with them.

11. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    I could be wrong, but didn’t Coys conduct the 1st Auction in conjunction with Ferrari in Maranello that turned out to be a disaster? RM then took over after that?

12. 375+

375+ F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Rossa Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Not Coys but Sotheby's. It was originally scheduled to take place in May between the Mille Miglia and the GP of Monaco. The Ferrari Classiche program was in its infancy and the factory wanted to establish Classiche as the gold standard. Every car in the auction had to be Classiche certified, but the factory lagged in completing the process. With typical arrogance they delayed the sale until every car could be certified to their satisfaction. Frankly they(Ferrari) didn't know what they were doing.

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    that was back when Ferrari still controlled Maserati, I had arranged the sale of the Costin Coupe from Alfredo Brener to Classic Coach Collection as it was sitting in the Maserati SpA showroom in Modena. There apparently was some “encouragement” from the powers that be to enter the Costin Coupe in the auction.

About a week before the auction I received a frantic call they needed to know how the car got into Italy from Germany when Brener purchased the car from Rosso Bianco. A phone call later, it turns out that SpA themselves had arranged to bring the car into Italy for restoration of the back to original road spec.

Like many of the other cars in that auction the Costin was a No Sale.