News

CPO S-Class...dumb idea?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Julia, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Julia

Julia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Omaha
    I've been looking at S-Classes today. How reliable would a 2016 or 2017 be, do you think, after the 2 years or so of CPO warranty are gone?

2. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I bought a 2015 S63 back in 2017, no problems in two years of use (only 12k miles though).

3. bart12

bart12 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2008
    Dallas/Westtexas
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I have a 2012 and it has thesame engine as a 2017.

Still with me. Yearly service is what it needed and just bought new tires. I use it for long drives.

Julia likes this.
  4. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    To clarify, I have driven it 12k miles, it has almost 50k miles on it.

5. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    Bear Creek, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    I had a 2016 and would avoid that year. They rolled out new electronics that just didn’t work well. I hated it.

Julia likes this.
  6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have a 2015 that someone put just about every option MB had (including fridge in back reclining back seats) on it. I bought it for less than half price two years ago with less than 20K miles on it. I think I put 1500 miles on it, it is a great car for a cruise and it is my give to a valet car, kids don't find S Classes very exciting to drive. The scent thing is nice, you can change the fragrance and my car has the AMG package with the lighter weight wheels, I pulled the Z rated run flat tires off it and put Bridgestone all seasons on. Car rides even better with those tires.

7. Patek

Patek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Read about "Mercedes Warping Rotors", just Google that and see what comes up on the MBWorld forum etc. I have a E43 and the rotors are done at 11,000. It had 10k miles on the car when I got it in June. It has been in the shop from Sept 24 to November 15. The dealer said the Powder coating on the wheels got into the Rotors....... uhmm. So I got it back drove it 124 miles and actually sold the car back to the Dealership to pick up a V8 powered CLS550 with red designo leather. Will the brakes be any better..... maybe not. I have had over 28 Mercedes and this is the first time I have ever even thought about Rotors. One customer had a 2016 S550, drove it 4,000 had to do a complete Rotor change , then at 11,000 miles, and now at 19,000 same issue. Something is going on from 2014-2018 on C, S, GL, E with the brakes. I really think the build quality is wayyyy down on the newer stuff. Seems to be hit and miss, but the dealership just says "it is the way you drive the car" or the two pieces on AMG are just so sensitive , and maybe don't disengage in some modes.
    But see what you think, Mine was Certified, but I don't want to drive it another 1,000 and have the brakes shutter when hitting the slowing down.