Crack in a carbon fiber seat | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Crack in a carbon fiber seat

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jim Riggs, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kirill

kirill Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Kirill

Just trying to help, but if you open an issue with NTHSA - and that's a safety issue, and you can show that is not a case of a single car - I believe they have ways to force manufacturer to fix things.

Whatever, that what I would do, if I was in this situation. If Ferrari can say "go to hell" to NTHSA - that would be something interesting.

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    what hasn't been mentioned yet is the reason for repairing..

in normal use even with the crack you will hardly if at all notice the problem. The main issue is in the event of a crash.....in a frontal you will still not notice anything, in a side on, you may move more than you you should but the worse case is a rear end crash.....if you were to spin off and hit a wall backwards, or have someone slam into the back of you, the seat would collapse and you would hit your head...possibly fatally.

It is a real problem and the repairs should be carried out immediately and properly.

Racing CF seats are usually lifed to only 2 or 3 years of normal use, and replaced in the event of a rear/side crash.

As rexcr said....carbon kevlar is the way to go...expensive, but what price a cracked skull?