crack in exaust manifold | FerrariChat

crack in exaust manifold

Discussion in '360/430' started by jim frank, Oct 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jim frank

jim frank Karting

Mar 29, 2006
    florida
    Full Name:
    jim
    Dealer says the ticking noise in engine is due to a crack in the exaust manifold and factory will not help since warranty is up(2003 360 with 15k miles). A search has shown many similar complaints.Dealer is going to weld it for $1000.Do I have a shot going after the factory emissions warranty since the problem is ahead of the cat.conv.I also wonder what the chances are of another crack later on? (This same noise accurred 2000 miles back but went away when I changed the oil).

2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Unless your dealer's welder shows you his certs that he is qualified to weld on nuclear reactors - I'd sure not pay $1000 for a weld job.

Heck, even if he was - I'd offer $200/hr plus materials and come out ahead on the deal.

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Are they going to remove the manifold to weld it Jim? Or are they going to weld in it place? :):)

They *may* crack again in the future, you just dont know. :):)

4. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Absolutely that should be covered under the extended emissions warranty - with cracked headers you're spewing untreated exhaust to atmosphere. I'm pretty sure Ferrari covered those on the 355...

5. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    It is my understanding that US Federal Law mandates an 8yr, 80k mile warranty on emissions equipment, so I would expect that Ferrari is forced to replace or repair these at their own expense. I recommend you check with your state's DMV . The following link to a PA summary gives a lot of background. Headers are included in the list. www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/drivecleanpa/news/warr_1995.htm

I didn't notice specific mention of aftermarket exhaust in your case though you made specific mention of the cat converter. Is that why the dealer is offering to fix them at your expense?

Lou

6. jim frank

jim frank Karting

Mar 29, 2006
    florida
    Full Name:
    jim
    The dealer removed the manifold and sent it out to his welder. The manifold is not after market.

7. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My '99 owners guide and emmissions guide state that exhaust manifold is covered under the 8yr warranty. I have heard that this warranty was taken out of later model 360 warranty cards. Call FNA direct and speak with them about the issue.

Robert

8. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sorry guys. Federal law mandates 8 year coverage for the following: cats, ecu's and obd's. Everything else has a 2 year requirement. State laws could vary.

Dave

9. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Ok, I see where the majority of the $1000 is now. :):)

Labour to remove and replace the manifold. :):)

10. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Not too worry about the repair part of the manifold, as I can can TIG it muself. But what's the best method to test it? I imagine it would be hard to determine if there is a crack since it a all wrapped in stainless steel. Using a smoke generator?

11. Fiorano1

Fiorano1 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2004
    Coral Springs, FL
    Full Name:
    Haywood Jabloemi
    I would replace the complete manifold with an aftermarket (Capristo is a good choice) as if in the event that factory warranty will not cover, you wll realize better performance for the investment vs. factory.

12. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
  13. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    In California its 8 years. My 430 is about to go out of warranty so I checked after reading about the other 430 header going out.

My local smog man told me it is 8 years, he was not sure of other states though.

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I had the same issue with my 360. Dealer told me that it was not covered and the repair was to weld it.

However, I later contacted the FNA warranty dept and they said that if the manifold needed to be replaced it would have been covered for up to 8 years. Repairs by welding are not covered. This really sounded like BS to me.

But how do you handle this? Since I am not an attorney, I don't know what is the right solution. In the future, do you tell the dealer to replace the cracked manifold so the warranty will pay for it? They will argue that it is not justified to replace it since it can be welded. Why isn't that covered too?

15. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jim,
    I just purchased an 03 360
    Ive been reading through the service records and it shows both LH and RH manifolds have ben replaced due to cracking.

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Friggin **** boxes!! these manifolds are an issue from the 355 on up. Why they heck can't they make a manifold last?? I sent off a set of 360 manifolds to a friend of mine who fabricates and manufactures parts for the aircraft industry, to have a look at why the things fail so often. He called me up and asked if it was made in a back yard!! The quality of the material and process they use to make these manifolds is absolute crap. Back in the 1800's it may have been acceptable, but now that manifold wouldn't even pass as a good door stop. Junk them and buy a good set from the posted companies and send Ferrari the bill.

I am getting very discouraged by Ferrari's complete lack of quality control. They have become a company that build over priced cars for hair dressers and are counting on the cars to only out last the warrenty.

17. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    This problem is seeming like a common issue on Maranello's machines. My ex355 did had it, luckily, my local repair shop could fixed it by welding with argon and then wraping with kinda racing tape.

18. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    #18 cf355, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
    It seems that we keep reading about manifold failures in 355's, 360's and now 430's.
    When I spoke with the dealer about this a few years ago their position was that the exhaust manifold were a 'consumeable' part.......but at 10g per set?
    I have not heard of any other street car regularly going through manifolds
    Its too bad there is no class action law suit to address this issue once and for all.

19. kouroshoo7

kouroshoo7 Formula 3

Jul 21, 2007
    Full Name:
    Kourosh
    I had the same issue a few weeks ago....
    If you need advice PM me and i will give you full detail....

Have they looked inside with a camera yet to check the exact spot of the crack?
    Is there any fiberglass pieces anywhere in the engine bay?

I have a very good friend of mine that could weld it for $600....
    Its a very long process and very time consuming.... and one really has to know what they are doing...

Let me know if you need more info on my welder friend...

Kourosh

20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 no excuse. Its hard to put 'quality' and 'Ferrari' in the same sentence and the meaning of it = "good". If other manufacturers can make them last, so can Ferrari. I would NOT get this welded without going to FNA and exhausting all avenues of remedy that are of NO cost to you. Good luck with this repair and situation.

21. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    This is crazy. I did a WCD driving event in May. While I driving the 430, the manifold CRACKED! The interior filled with fumes and I couldn't breathe. The car from the outside, sounded like a an VW bus.

22. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    Were you able to breathe?

23. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    No, eyes teared up and it got bad.