cracked ignition wires | FerrariChat

cracked ignition wires

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by DZ-96, May 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #1 DZ-96, May 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi

During a larger service, i changed the ball bearings from the lower timing control gear wheels, the oil pump chain with tensioners, the seal rings of the camshafts, some new silicone water hoses (the small 7 or 8 mm hoses and the short 21 mm hose) and finally the timing belts with tensioner bearings, i saw, that the ignition wires are very hard and with cracks.
    I think this is a common problem, the rubber is old and the heat from the engine makes the rest, so you should check the wires.

The car is a 1999 model with 52000 Km.
    Chain an tensioners were like new, camshaft seal rings began to lost some oil.

So i bought 9 meters of Beru silicone copper cable (55 Euro) with 30 sawtooth connectors (12 Euro) and a special crimping tool from knippex (24 Euro).

Important : crimp the connectors to the same diameter as the old connectors so you can conncect them inside the ignition connector. If the diameter around the wire is larger, you cannot connect it into the ignition connector. 2 hours for the ignition wires, now like new.
    :)

Also i found the cause for the rrrrrrrrrr noise between 2200 and 2500 rpm.
    One of the tensioner pulleys (water pump, steering pump) had a bearing seat which was run out about 0,3 mm.
    So the bearing had tolerance.

Thanks to Ron (rmfurzeland) for his help and tipps !!!

Daniel
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  2. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
  3. philfrench

philfrench Karting

Jan 3, 2012
    France
    I bought and install genuine F parts from factory (about 1200euros) and like on my 456M the rubber was a little craked.after installing the ignition harness ,the iddle seems to be very constant without any missfire like it was a little .Very important for me for a 13 years old car ( like the two accesory pulley bearings ,hoses ,for 456 gas accumulators,new manifold gasket and ...engine mounts).
    Congratulation for your perfect ignition harness...at what price?if not indiscret

4. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #4 DZ-96, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
    Hi

I have updated the prices for the parts.
    9 meter silicone copper wire : 55 Euro
    30 connectors (6 more for testing) : 12 Euro
    crimping tool : 24 Euro

Daniel

5. philfrench

philfrench Karting

Jan 3, 2012
    France
    Congratulation for your whole work...And happyness to do yourself a nice job.For the Fchatters can you give the adress of your suppliers please ?this new ignition harness is a must for ours cars.Regards

6. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Bought the parts at the local parts dealer (here in Germany) for common car parts.

Daniel

F456M likes this.
  7. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
  8. philfrench

philfrench Karting

Jan 3, 2012
    France
    Many thanks from the community,,,Now i will have to repair a camseal above the alternator ,it was too oily and the diods failed one after the other in few kilometers...Red battery warning lights ( two) and airbag ,asr ,and .stop engine and ....breakdown vehicle (just behind us in the traffic!!)
    I thought to fix the leaking camseal problem with the cambelt in few mount but now i ll do that in few days!! With the Marine denso alternator from Cribj indication indeed !! Many thanks from the chat because when a failure like this happen you say ´i had better to take my M3'..

9. maranello72

maranello72 Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    Daniel,

once you've crimped the sawtooth connectors onto the cables, do you simply slide them inside the spark plug and ignition coil headers? How are the headers fastened to the cables?

Thanks,
    Stefano

10. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #10 DZ-96, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    Hi Stefano

When you pull the wires out of the spark plug and ignition coil headers, you should turn them against the clock, when you connect them, you should turn with the clock.
    It helps to connect/disconnect when turning into the right direction (like a screw).

Daniel

11. rmfurzeland

rmfurzeland Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    Daniel,
    Sorry coming late to your thread. If you mean you are replacing the spark plug wires I solved this by using Cribbj Coil on Plug (COP) solution, see this forum or email John direct.
    You throw away the high voltage wires and all their issues and run low voltage to an individual coil on top of each spark plug.
    Regards,
    Ron

12. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is by far the best solution. I've been running John's (Cribbj) COP system for a year now. Put it on and forget about ignition problems forever but you should probably change the plugs every 50,000 miles or so.

13. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    Beru Distributor and Coil Connector :
    connector 0 300 332 121 5kΩ ( x12 )

connector 0 300 413 311 1kΩ ( x6 )

connector 0 300 5513 119 1kΩ ( x6 )

14. Playframe King

Playframe King Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2010
    UK
    update on my recent purchase of same parts , from onlinecarparts.co.uk, which is really pkwteile.de - in Germany:-
    0300800023 ignition cable is now £4.13 plus 20% VAT per metre
    0901300002 - connectors are £0.79 plus 20% VAT each
    Standard shipping to UK cost £9.54

and they gave me 5% off overall.

Loom is off the car and stripped this evening, hopefully find the time to rebuild tomorrow. pics to follow...

15. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Are you sure copper wires are the correct ones?

16. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    How have you solved the interference supression?
    Had you used carbon resistor cables then you could have used the plain copper connectors. Is the sparkplug boot a special one?

17. Playframe King

Playframe King Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2010
    UK
    see post 13 - Ferrari already solved when first built - not going to revisit - using exactly what was spec'd with Beru part numbers

18. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    #18 DrJan, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Super! All I needed to know when I undertake that task.
    I am used to restore cars where these things did not matter much, where a valve radio was the height of technology!

19. r456

r456 Rookie

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hello and thank you,
    i am new here and would like to ask for wiring diagram Motronic 2.7 ignition coils to spark plugs for 1995 456.
    Reg. the silicon beru wire, it is copper and silver coated (prevent corrosion).
    Tks a lot

20. rviani

rviani Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ron Viani
    Daniel,

I see you were able to remove the timing cover with leaving the timing gears in place. Can you advise how you did this and what tools you used ?

Thanks
    Ron

21. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Ron, if i remember correct, it was not possible to leave the gears in place.
    The photo was taken after installing the new bearings inside the engine block and assembling the gears.

Daniel

22. rviani

rviani Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ron Viani
    Thanks Daniel