Crackles & Pops on Overrun | FerrariChat

Crackles & Pops on Overrun

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by chris5150, Apr 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    Right ok I have searched & read all I can on this forum and found no definitive answer to the question of how you can get the lift off farts & pops/crackles back into a 458 exhaust, yes I am sure many still have them in earlier cars, 2010's etc, but I wanted to start a thread to see if there is any advice on how to get it back in later cars. Mine is a 2015 speciale and I would like it to crackle & pop on lift off, other than that the car sounds great, so just to be clear I am not after another exhaust to provide a louder or more F1 type of sound, all I am after is the crackles & pops, if it can be achieved with a new exhaust fine, recommend away.
    Has anyone done something such as a Novitec stage 1/2 or whatever , or had their ecu altered?..indeed any test pipes/exhausts etc help bring it back?..I presume not as from what I have searched it seems to be an ECU issue...have read a thread where it was mentioned there was a 2nd set of valves further up in the exhaust that the later ecu's keep closed on lift off, and that it was these valves being opened that let unburnt fuel through to create the crackle & pop
    Not sure lot of info, but not found anywhere whereby someone has managed to alter the ECU or whatever to get them back...so chip in if you have any knowledge or advice on how this might be achieved thanks

jbswiss likes this.
  2. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Seriously??
    Read my thread on the topic; and contact Shiv at Open Flash Performance.

very best

3. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    while i agree to some extent that the overrun noises sound fun it is in fact a symptom inefficient performance

but then there's always the hotrod lover in all of us

4. Floydison

Floydison Karting

Dec 25, 2016
    What's the "inefficient" aspect of it? Fuel economy?

5. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458-italia-488/544337-how-many-458-italias-original-ecu-exhaust-crackles.html

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    For me overrun noise is a vital part of the 458's experience as a whole. A part of its charm, of feeling alive instead of a machine, a fun factor, an x-factor.

Although I agree with your assessment, I would say inefficient burning. It doesn't hinder performance in a decisive way, imho.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

7. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    Yes so it seems openflash tuning can redo the ECU to bring it back , but not keen on posting my ECU's from the the UK to the states etc...but clearly the only answer then is if you want crackles & pops its an ECU retune, which to be honest is not something I am too happy about messing with so think I will probably just have to live without my crackle & pop, will keep my ears open to anyone getting anything done like this is the UK, and maybe someday I might give it a pop if it all gets good feedback etc, but not holding my breath

8. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
  9. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    Cheers Tackleberry,good thinking, I had one of their maps on a rangerover & was very pleased with it...will drop them a line

10. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    You're welcome ;)

11. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    It won't solve the crackle and pops as much but if you're not using a valve controller (I don't recall from you original post) it's a cheap easy stop on the path to getting closer to the sound you want. Made a significant difference on my 458

12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Openflash will be "restoring" the burbles to my recently-purchased Italia on 4/22. I'm looking forward to it!

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx for the tip T,

It looks to me that JMS wants to upgrade HPs ... we are only talking about noise ...

I would also never send my ECUs to U.S. .... too risky imo (well, now with Brexit :eek: )

14. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1. Being that my '11 458 Italia was never flashed and I have the original pop and burbles, the sound is so incredible now I just can't get enough. I really think these cars need the valve controller to unleash its full auditory bliss.

jbswiss likes this.
  15. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    In my humble opinion, Steve's absolutely correct.

You get the best of both worlds: you still refrain from drawing your neighbors' anger when you fire your 458 up, and everytime you downshift you'll get goosebumps from the thundering noise coming from behind. The crackles and pops are a bliss, period. That said, there is significant difference between a stock exhaust/valves and a different, more/always open setting.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

16. edgramir

edgramir Rookie

Dec 6, 2015
    I agree that the deceleration burbling sound on a 458 is a must. OpenFlash can get that back for you plus a lot more great improvements. Completely worth doing it.

17. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have the full catless IPE TI F1 setup and after reading about OpenFlash from forum members (thank you Carlo) and driving in edgramir's car I am sold. I will post my thoughts once it is installed. Nice write up here by Autoweek too (I have no affil): We drive a Ferrari 458 tuned By OpenFlash Performance | Autoweek

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #18 Melvok, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Make them aware of this thread please ... it may give some directions ...

I only see data, not the things you asked for yet ... and I am not looking for 40 HPs more ...

And: please let us know.

I also do not want to ship things out of EU (well ... Brexit now :D) !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Barry P.

Barry P. Karting

Nov 22, 2016
    Milton Keynes
    Full Name:
    Barry
    In total agreement with this post, I had the Steve Bisel made Forza controller fitted to my exhaust and it's made a massive difference to the sound of the car, the crackles and pops on lift off sound superb. No need to mess around with the maps if all you want is a better sound, buy one of Steve's exhaust valve controllers.

20. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    Barry, can you expand on this please, from all the posts I have read crackles & pops on lift off come from the software, NOT the valve in the exhaust. I have a Speciale, so its a lot louder anyway , ie the valves are open a lot more.
    Did your car not pop & crackle before you fitted the valve controller?...or are you saying its just louder?..if you have a pre 2011 car I think it was & original software then you probably have the crackles & pops anyway , the valve controller is just moving it to open valves quicker/earlier etc to accentuate the sound
    If Ferrari indeed has written pops & crackles out of the ECU's I don't see how having a valve controller will make any difference to getting that aspect back again
    thanks

21. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Depending on Barry's year of 458 and if he has original software version. Btw...it's 2012 and older. I believe Ferrari updated the ECU's on 2013's and newer. Having the valve controller in later models will not bring back the crackles and pops. It will just enhance the sound of the car as the valves won't close when letting up on the throttle like they do in sport or race mode.

22. Barry P.

Barry P. Karting

Nov 22, 2016
    Milton Keynes
    Full Name:
    Barry
    It's a 2010 car and has been serviced at a UK Ferrari main dealer, (Greypauls). I have no idea if the ECU has been remapped by them however I did not really notice the crackles on lift off until the valve controller was fitted.

23. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    That's interesting barry, one of the things that came out of these threads is that the subsequent ecu updates write out the crackles & pops. So if you still have these it would seem that graypauls haven't updated your ECU during servicing etc...wonder why, It seems people with the earlier cars have indeed lost theirs following servicing ...maybe mention it to them next time you send it in, be interesting to know if they intentionally have left it that way..

24. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    I drove f458 2010, it has the pops and crackles.. i think you should ask the dealer if they can bring the previous update

25. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    Ferrari determined that the burbles, pops, overrun etc were damaging the secondary exhaust valve (i.e. the valve that switches between the inner exhaust pipe and the outer exhaust pipes on the 458), so they got rid of them with a software update. It is intentional and irreversible unless you arrange for the ECU to be flashed (or some similar aftermarket step).

Labman likes this.