Craft beers - are you a fan? | FerrariChat

Craft beers - are you a fan?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by kizdan, Jul 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I am not, and I will tell you why.

There is a restaurant, close to my house, that was our "go to" place. Great food, and a great selection of beer on tap. They decided to go all craft beers recently.

So you go through the charade of getting brief descriptions of the craft beers available at a given restaurant with the waiter. In my case, I was always asking what tastes like the non-craft beers I normally order. Maybe you'll land on a craft beer that you actually like. Go to a different restaurant the following week, and go through the same charade again, because their selection of craft beer is different.

I know when I order a bottle of Heineken, it is the same anywhere I go, and every restaurant offers it. Same with main-stream beer labels on tap.

I like the beer that I like, and am not in search of maybe something that tastes "better" in a craft beer. I'll skip the charade, and get exactly what I want, every time.

2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Some people like the same thing all the time, others like to try new things. I know what styles of beers I like, so I order those and sometimes I get a really good one, sometimes an average one, but I'm always happy. What bothers me is when a place that serves 'craft beer' has 20 IPAs and 3 other varieties. I like a good IPA from time to time, but I certainly don't always want one, and for some reason some places equate IPAs with craft beer. Probably because an IPA is easy to make and all the hops cover up crappy product or really high alcohol content, which the same places seem to also equate with craft beer, so you get a bunch of crappy IPAs with 10% alcohol covered up with a ton of hops to make it drinkable - but I'd rather drink two good beers than one awful one with twice the alcohol.

I guess I'd feel different if one or two of my favorite beers used to be on tap all the time and were removed, but that's pretty much never the case as they're less common German and Belgian beers, not the usual commonly available stuff. But, due to the craft beer revolution, I can find them in a lot of beer stores that 10 years ago wouldn't have them.

3. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    No.....not fond of the trend.

I don't need some bearded hipster explain that they were actually going for a bitter hoppy flavor and that it is supposed to be barely drinkable. He generally thinks he is the first nitwit that ever put pumpkin seeds and cinnamon or grapefruit in a beer. It is pretty simple.....you give me a beer that tastes like beer and I drink it, maybe order a bunch more and pay for it.....all the rest is just posing and adding flavors to beer that are not supposed to be there. Beer - make it cold, easy drinking and plentiful!

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I like beer. I like beer a lot! My gf and I go out of our way to find good beer, sometimes a very long way. Too crafty, too hoppy, not always a favorite. Great browns, reds, and sours are great. Not all are restaurant type of beers either that go well with a meal, so I do understand having standard beers on tap.

5. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Could not have said it better myself!

6. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    We 'had' a seafood place that was our go to for great crab cakes and a cold draft. It recently became a 'draft house'. Now you get a card that you insert into a slot at the wall of taps that tallies your total. This means that every time you want a beer you have to get up from your seat, walk to the 'tap room' insert your card, make a choice, etc. etc. Just bring me a damn beer! haven't been and won't go back.

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

This. I usually cut to the chase before the soliloquy begins, and just tell them to bring me the darkest beer they have...T

8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Sours are my new favorite. Ive been addicted the last year, just not enough have a high enough ABV for me.

9. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Jason, have you tried Silly Sour or Stupid Silly Sour?? They are fantastic!!

10. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    I am a fan of craft beers at restaurants. I can't stand drink the typical crap. Miller lite, bud, etc. etc.

It doesn't help that my uncle is a GM of brewery. I have learned a ton from him and have also drank a ton off good beer.

11. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #11 TexasF355F1, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    I haven't heard of it until you mention it. Looks like total wine has some, I'll have to look. Where so you find it?

Are you able to share the brewery? That's a good family member to know lol.

BTW, if you haven't tried Victory's Sour Monkey, give it a shot? I love it, also around 9.5% ABV. Ordered it for lunch one day while having lunch with some friends and the waitress was like "oh, hopefully you don't have to go back to work", I said, "lucky for me, I'm not working right now lol".

12. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    I had both the sours at Flying Saucer. Let me know what you think!

Home ? Fernson Brewing Company

Unfortunately can't get it in Texas.... yet.

13. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Not a fan of the "craft" beer phase nor the IPA's. When I go out that's what seems to be all the rage. Heck I would take a bud over most of this crap they call IPA and I don't even like bud.

14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow, what a tough crowd. I probably shouldn't admit this here but....First off, I don't have a man-bun (or as I like to call them.. ****-knots) and I am far from being a hipster. That being said, I do like a good IPA. I am the type of person who likes a good bitter beer. I also like variety and trying new stuff. No, I'm not into fruity or overly fancy beers. I just like a good IPA. So if I stop at a place and they have a new beer on tap I'm likely to give a try.

So, hate away all you barley and barely favored water drinkers. ;)
    Enjoy your swill. :D

15. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #15 TexasF355F1, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just checked again, can't find the Silly sour in the stores around here or a bar local to me. There are two beer heavy bars opening near me soon so maybe I'll have luck then. World of Beers off barker-cypress soon and also Rosehill Beer Garden literally a down the street. Can't wait.

Tonight I may have made a mistake, having my third Sour Monkey..... 9.5% ABV lol.

I love IPA's, had a bearded fox, a local brewer on Sunday and it's fantastic. Im still bummed we couldn't meet up a few years ago when I was in Seattle. Gonna make that happen in the near future for sure.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Same here. Not for me.

17. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    It seems to me that the whiners about 'craft beer' don't have an issue with beer, but with pretentiousness. Seek out other places where $$ and being seen are less important.

'Bearded hipsters'? What does that have to do with craft beer?

18. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    If beer needs to be ice cold in order to be drinkable, it is not good beer.

19. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

No, it just tastes bad to me.

20. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    With respect..... you shouldn't be drinking beer if 'craft beer' tastes bad. You either don't know, or don't like good beer. Drink what you like, and forget about the **** knot types.

21. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Here's the thing. Taste is subjective. I am not a fan of watery pilsners like Bud and I am not a fan of big huge heavy beers like Guiness. So what I like is IPA's. Nobody else has to like what I like, that's why there is such a HUGE variety of beers out there.

In my opinion it's a great time to be a beer drinker. There are more choices in what to drink out there now than there ever has been before. So like I said before, find what you like and drink it. You sure don't have to drink what I like, cause I ain't gonna return the favor!! :)

Let's all hoist whatever beers we like tonight and celebrate God's golden, or red, or black, or yellow, or even green gift to mankind...Beer.

CHEERS!!

22. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#22 NbyNW, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Really? Critical of me because I don't know or like good beer? Is there a test I forgot to take? And not sure how my dislike of craft beer should stop me from drinking and enjoying all beer.

As Jdubbya said, it's all subjective and tons of choices. No need to take it personally. It's beer, enjoy what you like, moving on.

23. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    #23 stever, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Sorry.....shouldn't have said 'you shouldn't be drinking beer'........maybe I should have said 'you shouldn't be drinking craft beer if it 'tastes bad'. I DID say 'drink what you like', which is all that matters. :)

24. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Thanks... looking forward to a cold one this afternoon!

25. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    No, too much over hopped dreck. I prefer to taste the grain and the yeast and certainly not flowers or fruit.
    I think so many brewpubs only serve their own because a side by side with some "pedestrian" mass produced beer would put theirs to shame. I've yet to find a stout to compare with Guinness.