348 - Crank Sensors | FerrariChat

348 Crank Sensors

Discussion in '348/355' started by vvassallo, Oct 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Here is why we replace these simple parts. Check out the repairs guide for directions but honestly this is a very simple replacement. Accessing the upper sensor is a little tricky but I found a wobble socket on my hex socket did the trick.

Photo 1 is of the replaced sensors. They look fine after cleaning them up.
    Photo 2 shows the condition of the plug on the lower sensor. Cracks.
    Photo 3 shows the flip side of that sensor. More cracks.
    The upper sensor was in okay shape.
    This is why we need to replace these at least once. In my case I was trying to diagnose an intermittent miss and/or loss of power on one bank. I'm not sure this cures it but so far so good.

Note: The Kia replacements cost me $32 to my house. They are almost an exact match. The wires are slightly longer and plugs are slightly wider so that you need to bend open the mounting bracket slightly. Remember our cars are between 25 and 30 years old. These engine compartment items are going to wear out eventually. It makes perfect sense to just replace little items like this that cost very little and take almost no real mechanical skill to replace.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ernie, Qavion and Ferrarium like this.
  2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree and here is a huge list of parts and sensors like that that can be replaced pro-actively.

Here is a tip the top sensor bolt you can get to with a 1/4 drove socket, a swivel elbow and a long extension. You can get to it from the passenger wheel well. Otherwise the AC belts are in the way and it takes forever from the bottom.

Qavion likes this.
  3. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    just to note, some crank sensors may have tiny shims that fall off when removed. Having said that I'm too lazy to look up the exact clearance required. Murphy's law steps in and is a pita to find. Magnet is your friend.....

vvassallo likes this.
  4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    A few have done this to their regret ) Too many shims (perhaps) = poor/intermittent signal. Too few (perhaps) = tooth contact for some kinds of sensors.

0.35~0.90mm ... I'm not sure what kind of instrument you would use to measure this. A micrometer depth gauge can be quite bulky.

johnk... likes this.
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Feeler gauges. I replaced mine with OEM sensors and mine are at .35 with 1 shim.

ernie and Qavion like this.
  7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    oops.. of course. I was thinking of cam sensors and the like (in holes).

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I know every one call them shims but I've never seen a car, any car, that had none or more than 1. The tolerance is pretty wide and the "shims" are really pretty thin. Note that these "shims" would only be useful if the gap is too small. What if the gap is too wide? Do you throw away the sensor and try a new one hoping it will be ok? I'm of the belief that the gap variation is to allow for manufacturing tolerances, which at 0.35~0.90mm, or 0.014to 0.035 inches, is pretty rough. The "shim" IMO, is not a shim buy an aluminum gasket placed to ensure the sensor does not adhere to the engine block. I could be 100% wrong on this but I just get the feeling... I replaced one of these on my car and in doing so noticed bout had only one spacer and the gaps were considerable different for both. There was no record of them being changed so I would assume if they are installed at the factory they either didn't care that much about the gap or it's just a gasket as I surmise.

Oh, and after all the pain and suffering replacing the side mounded sensor on my problem turned out to be a broken lead in the connector to the sensor, wiring harness side. Neither sensor was bad or cracked. They should measure about 900 ohms between signal and ground. The 3rd pin is a shield and open to the other two pins.

So to the OP, check the impedance of the old sensors and tug of the harness a little. If a wire is broken internally at the connector, the insulation will stretch like spaghetti.

ernie and Qavion like this.
  9. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    On my 348, there were 4 shims on one sensor and none on the other from the factory so they are obviously not gaskets. I think the reason for using the shims is to achieve equal gaps for the banks and not to achieve any particular gap (as long as it is between 0.35 and 0.90 mm). How it is probably done is attach both sensors, measure the gaps and verify they are both between 0.35 and 0.90 mm, then bring the smaller of the two up to the gap of the other (bigger gap) sensor with the shims.

When I installed new KIA sensors, they both happened to have the same gap of 0.65 mm so I did not use any shims. To measure the gap, it is better to get a set of non-magnetic feeler gauges. I got a good one on Ebay in 0.05 mm increments - https://www.ebay.com/itm/FACOM-804-AM-ANTI-MAGNETIC-FEELER-GAUGE-SET-10-00-100-100mm-THICKNESS-GAUGES/360858085107?hash=item5404d166f3:g:UkAAAOxyRhBS-k5p

ernie and Pangea like this.
  10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I spoke wrong my OEM ones with 1 shim was at .813mm on both.

11. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick

Off my own car. 2 shims on one. 1 shim on the other. I refitted them to the position they came from with new sensors and the gaps were both within tolerance. I checked before and after fitting. They were the original sensors as far as I can tell. Just what I found but Im not sure if there was a thickness difference in the individual shims.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Good info. I still wonder how you are supposed to correct a gap that is too wide. But those don't look like Bosch sensors. Of course, if they are form 91 they might have changed from a metal to plastic case later on.

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My original 1990 ones were metal cased as well as those are, my new OEM ones are plastic bodied. New ones are plastic, if they are too far out they can be easily sanded. Its what I would do.

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice job Haole.

vvassallo likes this.
  15. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    They are defo Bosch sensors I removed. Ive got no record of them being replaced previously though so I presume they are the originals. My new ones are plastic bodied.

16. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Good catch on the shims comments. YEs, there might be shims in place to create more clearance for the teeth. Obviously having your flywheel teeth meeting the sensors would not be a good thing. My lower sensor had no shim; the upper had 2 paperthin ones which I reinstalled. I did compare the "heights" of the stock and replacement sensors and honestly the replacements appear to not need any shims at all, being ever so slightly shorter. However, one does not feel like experimenting. ;)

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    But not those older metal can ones. :)