Crankshaft Sprocket HELP!!! (4.7 Indy) | FerrariChat

Crankshaft Sprocket HELP!!! (4.7 Indy)

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by FreitasFerrari, Dec 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FreitasFerrari

Aug 26, 2016
    Hi all,

Can anyone please help me to find the proper position of the Crankshaft Chain Sprocket once it has been removed from the crank?? :-(

I have taken the crank to my usual engine shop, to have it dissasembled since i have tried to remove the sprocket but it didn't moved! the technicians there though that it would have some kind of key, line, mark something on it or on the oil pump ( which at the time was covering the crank ) but once it came out we understood that it was indeed an interference ( and a very big one at that! ) fit.

now, i have a sprocket and a crank and i don't want to "guess" where it should be positioned. (Obviously i could do and educated guess, but i think with timing i should be as milimetric as possible! )

How did the guys at the factory manage this?

BTW does anyone have a picture of the tool to assemble and disassemble the crankshaft Sprocket on this engines? i would love to see one, even better if i could buy one!

to assemble it i am thinking of chilling the crank in a fridge for some hours and heat up the sprocket. does anyone have a better ideia?

I would be very thankfull for any help!

Best

F

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    They didn't mark it before removing it? :eek:

3. FreitasFerrari

Aug 26, 2016
    No! :-(

Now i have a BIG Problem in my hands... but i am under the impresion that there is a tool for removing and inserting this sprocket. with luck, it should also be some inscructions on how to do it... isnt there a service manual for these cars? ( i have the maintenance one )

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I take it this is driving the camshafts ? Hence the cam timing-if that is the case is the cam timing adjustable on slots at the cam sprockets- if so then provided you can get the cam timing right , does it matter where the crank sprocket is ?
    Never worked on one but it should be adjustable, bearing in mind it is running 1/2 crank revs. You can adjust bike sprockets on elongated slots on the cam sprockets

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think what this effectively does is mean you'll have modify every one of you four cam sprocket alignments to effect proper timing which is too bad if they were very close before you started. Not the end of the world though.

But it's been 18 years since I had my 4.9 V8 all apart so someone like Gene O'Gorman and others can probably give you a more detailed view of what this means now.

6. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    The Quatroporte III service manual is the best info for rebuilding the V 8 engines. MIE sells these. Most but not all engine do have marks for the sprocket and the corresponding mark is on the oil pump. It is a small 0. Snapon tools makes a puller that will remove the sprocket but there is no tool to my knowledge to re install. MIE also sells a tool for the removal. Cool the crank with dry ice and heat the sprocket to 400 F, you will still need a press to assemble. You can add the timing mark to the sprocket and oil pump after assembly. The cam sprockets at adjustable and are used for the correct timing. There is also a timing mark on the back of the crankshaft to mark TDC and also on the flywheel.

7. vlasic ludovic

vlasic ludovic Karting

Apr 13, 2015
    Nice France
    Full Name:
    Vlasic ludovic
    +1

8. FreitasFerrari

Aug 26, 2016
    Thank you Guys!

Effectively, my engine has marks on it. The marks are on the oil pump and on the sprocket itself.

I was afraid that the sprocket needed to be on a relative position to the crank. But if i understood correctly i can press the new sprocket in, and then time the engine using cams adjustments, and then mark the new 0s.

you guys rock!

Happy 2017!

best

F

9. FreitasFerrari

Aug 26, 2016
    I cant find the Snap On puller, can you please post a picture of it, a link or any kind of info that could be usefull to identify it?

10. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    I looked in the snapon catalog and could not make a positive ID. The one I used looked like the pitman arm pullers. But as I mentioned above MIE sells one that works. You might also ask the people that took yours off what they used. I know a regular two jaw puller does not work very well because the arms that go behind the sprocket are too thick.

11. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    #11 AM1220552, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017