Crappy Replicas thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Crappy Replicas thread

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ninyo, May 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Guys, what are you talking about? The Miami Vice convertible TR was a corvette based replica. Nothing real about it.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Miami Vice:

The Daytona was a covette-based kit car.

The TR was real

There was a stunt car stand-in for the TR for the jumps and such, and it was indeed based on a Pantera with TR body panels.

That 355 replica looks like crap, especially with the T-tops.....

3. rifter

rifter Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    the 355's and the fake f40 should be taken from their owners and destroyed.

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    While I have read the article about the build of this car and the company (in a NZ magazine) the lines of this car are simply wrong. Yes I know a mold was apparently taken from a real car, but the side profile and window line is completely wrong.

Also this car suffers from the same issue that I have against 95% of replicas. It now has something like 800 hp ... the original F40 had only 475 hp (or something like that), thus again this is nothing more than a look-a-like, that will NOT drive like a F40, not accelerate, nothing at all other than a close resemblance with the shape.

While it is built very well ... it is just a well built thingy.

A guy in the States has built IMO the very best replica of a Cobra Daytone Coupe (I can't remember the link, but will be easy to find if you do a search) and he has built this car as close to exactly like the original as possible and it is brilliant. That car will drive, accelerate, feel 100% like the original and is that not what cars are about, aren't we in love with the F40 because of the way it drives not how it looks ...

I could not give a flying fnck what most performance cars look like if they were rockets and perfect to drive ... and that is how the Enzo survives. It looks like a **** that has had trouble coming out, but who cares because it goes like it is threading the needle during a bout of the runs! ;)

Thus I cannot understand why almost everybody who builds a replica does NOT even try to replicate the driving experience. In the F40 replicas case, why not design your own body shape? ... as the car is not a F40 replica and would have far more respect if they had not copied the body style.

I would not mind making a 250LM replica but it would have the same power, same roll centres, same grip levels, same weight, same braking ability, etc. so that I could enjoy the LM driving experience. But in the end why not make something original ... :)

Pete

5. docurley

docurley Rookie

Jul 5, 2004
    In some ways you have a very good point but it would be near on impossible to replicate a F40 performance or handling with out having a car to hand.

There is not many people that could afford to buy or even maintain a Ferrari in the manner it requires where as a replica can be and for those that can afford to buy a part of the dream (and it is only a dream) can afford to maintain something that looks like something we wish we could have.

Ferrari's will always be a unique car that only a few will be able to afford. So I don’t think when some one buys a replica he will be looking for the performance rather just the style of a stunning cars.

A lot of people that build these cars go to great length to build them as close to the original as they can, even using original parts where they can. So the dealer does not fully miss out and they make money where they would not have before.

I'm aware Ferrari have sued companies for copying there cars. But they still sell parts to company that know they must be selling them to none Ferrari owners.

So has I said before replica's are a dream and they just help a little to bring that dream to life, no harm intended (and I don’t think they do).

I'm sure there are a few replica owners here or want to own a replica on this forum.

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The point of this conversation, though, is that often a replica makes little sense. I know you have one of the MR2 based '355's above from previous posts. The MR2 is a fine car in its own right, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with driving one and being happy to drive one. However, for the price of a MR2 + kit + one's time, you could easily be driving a real 308 GT4 or Mondial 8. True, they're not the top-of-the-line performance cars these days, but they make all the right noises, handle great and look good. I've seen GT4s as low as $USD 6,000 that ran and drove. Why chop up a good car to make something that will never truly be anything again?

One last question -- what do you say when people ask you about the car? Do you tell them it's a replica, or do you say "Ferrari"?

7. docurley

docurley Rookie

Jul 5, 2004

I always tell them it’s a replica, I think there more intrigued about what I did to make it look like that.

I have never lied about this and have been stopped buy the traffic police on many occasions before I changed the plates, thinking it was a stolen Ferrari with Toyota plates on it. They would only believe me when I showed them the engine.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    And that is why I will probably never make my 250LM replica ... it will never be a Ferrari when really good Ferraris like 308 based cars can be had for way less money.

Pete

9. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    The pics speak for themselves!

10. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Price is the No.1 factor in a replica car. That's why they exist in the first place--because they are cheaper than the real thing. Ok, so you can find a GT4 cheap. But you're forgetting about maintenance. Exotic engines are still very expensive to maintain. Far more so than that MR2 engine is going to be.

11. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    What is that, and what is the base car?

12. Nemo666

Nemo666 Rookie

Apr 3, 2004

That's a Pontiac Fiero on some kind of really bad Lambo LSD trip!

Good God that's so sad... those photos almost ripped my retinas out!!

13. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    LMAO! Yes, you are correct . It is advertised as a 96 Diablo.

14. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Aj didnt you say you wanted another Diablo? I think in 1996 they made 12 very rare 2wd coupes...that must be one of them! Dont hesitate! LOL

-jt

15. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Im all over it John!! You read my mind.

16. Nemo666

Nemo666 Rookie

Apr 3, 2004
    Careful!! Your garage may actually throw up if it sees that thing coming at it!!

17. docurley

docurley Rookie

Jul 5, 2004
    #94 docurley, Jul 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Are they really replicas? if so they would fool me.

19. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    ok.... some of us just don't have the money for our dream cars like you folks have. I grew up in a friggin ghetto and constantly dreamed about the Lamborghini Countach throughout my childhood. I spent days and days in grade school drawing pictures of the Countach and laughing with friends about how cool it would be to see one on the street. We made jokes about ever owning one, that if we ever got enough money to buy one, we probably wouldn't be able to afford the insurance!

Well, this still holds true..... I just turned 29 and only make a measily $38,000 per year. I know alot of you on this board wipe your ass with more money than that but I just wasn't blessed with having a fimily with money to where I could start out at the top. The money I make now is from getting out on my own and making it happen. However, I still have dreams and will someday be making more than what I do now. Maybe a real Lamborghini Countach will be in the picture.

But for now, it is totally impossible for me to own the car of my dreams. With my income, there's no way I could afford a 30,000 overhaul and cluth job. Possibly, I could own a 308, but thats not what I spent my entire childhood dreaming about. I think some of you know me on this board and have said good things about my car. It is always encouraging when I get compliments from REAL exotic owners, because I hope to one day be in their shoes. I never say my car is real and I never brag about my car, because it is still just a Fiero. But I do talk to people about how fun it is and how I'm thankful for what I do have. About 3 years ago, I spent a bit of time researching replicas that were of the upmost quality in a price range that I could afford. The pictures will show that even though I can't afford a REAL, BEAUTIFUL Lamborghini Countach, I still can enjoy seeing part of my dream come true for now.

Some of you folks still have a "hate" for replicas and kits, which I could understand. In a way, it is stealing from the origional mfgr's. But, these cars are just way beyond what some of us will ever be able to afford. I mean, why should I sit around sad, kicking myself for not being able to afford an exotic, when there are quality replicas available. Mine was bought used for $30,000.00, but I'm still paying off the loan.

I do think that some of these kit cars should not be manufactured though, because of their poor appearance. If you are going to try and duplicate something that is made with the upmost quality and passion to begin with, then you better be darn sure that passion and quality is embedded into the replica being built.

I'll shut uo now and I'm not trying to change anyone's openions. I just wanted to clarify why people like myself own a replica ad still have the upmost respect for the real cars.

20. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Paul the car you own is a real stunner, not many people could tell the difference, i know i would be proud to own a car such as youres.

21. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    Thank you Stephen. Good luck getting your 512BBi one day. ;) Awsome car!

22. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Frog, your car is THE best replica I have ever seen. If I saw that on the road I would instantly believe it to be the real thing. What does the interior look like?

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Ditto!

Pete's opinion