Crappy Replicas thread | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Crappy Replicas thread

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ninyo, May 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Frog..Your car is just beautiful. Don't let others tell you any different. Rest assured, your car more then likely drives better then the real thing.

2. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Frog,

I admire your passion and embrass your candor. Enjoy your car, guy.
    If you swing by KC, stop by and I'd love to trade wheels for test drive.

Tom

3. rifter

rifter Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    wah, wah, wah. you're a middle class twenty year old who can't yet afford an exotic italian car, your plight has me choked with emotion and holding back tears...

such obvious love for the car is respectable, and i can relate to it. however, dressing up a fiero to look the car you love is not respectable. at all. to anyone involved in the creation of the real car. the real owners who own the real thing. or yourself, who is, most definitely, not "keeping it real".

this is a point a lot of you keep making, and it's not becoming any more logical or valid. you can't steal something just because you can't afford it. You don’t deserve it because you haven’t earned it. Now, a lot of silver-spoon types don’t deserve their lambos or ferraris either, but such is life. with replica owners, it’s not even debatable on a case by case basis, you don’t. Exotic cars are not considered such for only their engines and sleek looks, they’re also deemed exotic for their rarity. Who are you to devalue that rarity with your “feiro in a nice dress”? what gives you the right to make the sight of a real countach, or 355, or diablo more mundane and common on the street? Just because you want it and can’t afford it, justifies absolutely…zip. that goes for anything and anyone, even young car nuts who think they're underprivileged and deserve everything their money can't buy.

also, the badging looks authentic, so stop trying to act like you're so honest about it all. replica drivers often point to their PASSION for whatever car it is they're imitating. no, it's not about image, or badge snobbery...and yet, authentic badges are almost always worn…? if it was put to law, that replicas COULD NOT have the real badges, and in fact, had to have "REPLICA" stenciled across the front and back bumper or side, how much do you think the market would shrink? down to a damn raisin, is the answer.

i hope you ditch the fiero, wait a few years then get the real thing. as convincing as the replica may be, you will realize then, it doesn't hold a candle to authenticity.

i still have no idea why there are companies profiting from this. it's downright atrocious. they're scam artists with skill in the garage, but scam artist's nonetheless. their "businesses" should be shut down and boarded up.

replicas should only be made to be destroyed in action movies, or if the original manufacturer gets a cut of the profits. everything else is theft, and all the owners are thieves. just like pick pockets, the only difference between any of them, is how often they're caught, and it’s a real shame that they’re getting caught less and less.

4. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I saw a repro Lamborghini Countache in a small town dealers lot filled with project cars. It was a Fiero repro with nice Lambo type wheels. It looked pretty nice considering it was a sheep in wolf's clothing. I called the owner and asked what he wanted for the car, thinking that it might be a fun project for $2000 or so. (used Fiero's sell for next to nothing.) The owner told me that he would take twenty five for it. I asked HUNDRED? He said THOUSAND. Out of respect for the stupid redneck, I merely said no thanks and hung up the phone instead of calling him an idiot and laughing at his junk pile. A used Fiero is worth a few hundred dollars. Toss in a tired Lambo fiberglass repro body for a thousand or so. Add several hundred for the wheels. And this buffoon wanted TEN TIMES that amount.

5. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The reality of replicas and why their is a demand for them is they fool most people. My gf is very car savvy and can't tell the difference in a fake or not.

Years ago when I lived in N Cal my dad exclaimed to me a Ferrari Daytona was in a small car dealer shop on display in the showroom I went to check it out and it was a fake McBurnie, the salesman insisted I take it for a ride and it was very funny the reactions I got, women would give admiring glances as well as many men, some would stare at it as if something wasn't right and a few would frown knowing it was fake.

At this time I coudn't afford a real Ferrari anyway such as a Daytona and
    I really considered building one, I found the shop outside of Tijuana Mexico that made the Mc Burnie Daytona bodys and they had quite a few available but after driving this car that was enough for me I felt like such as posing looser driving this fake around for a little while, it was almost embarrassing knowing many were aware it was a fake.

6. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Couldnt have said it any better Jeff.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Absolutely true ... Rifters post was truly classless. How he sees out the windscreen of his status symbol Ferrari with his nose so high end the air is beyond me ;)

In the end a hobby to one person cannot be defined by another, as we all have our different reasons for pursuing the automobile as an interest.

I can understand all that FROG said about his replica and good on him, atleast it is a very good replica.

In my case driving and even competing is everything and thus I'd rather by a simple club car or even go kart (as I am currently looking at) and get on the track and experience REAL driving that we no longer can on these over enforced boring modern roads.

Pete

8. rifter

rifter Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    you're an absolute idiot.

yes, ONE of the reasons i enjoy ferrari's is because they're rare. there's no shame in that. at all. do you smile everytime you see a civic drive by? no? why not? it's not JUST because they're ugly and have an engine-note akin to a silent fart, it's also because every other car you see on the road is likely...another civic.

i don't buy exotic cars for status. but i don't mind the effect. i'm self-made and i'm proud of it. i also comb my hair when i get out of the shower to accentuate my features. i guess that makes me vain?

and yes, i think to an extent, replicas damage the excitement of the real thing. and yes, I think this damage is only getting worse. and no, i don't think the scam artists responsible or the “owners” funding them have any right what-so-ever to do this, even if it does seem petty and insignificant to those without the knowledge or the financial ability to appreciate rarity.

your post and the one before it are classless and embarrassing in their presumptuousness and naivety and rife with have-not bitterness. Instead of trying to attack my character, I suggest you try to refute my points, although I warn, you’ll likely have a similar amount of luck…

9. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Rifter even removed the Mona Lisa picture from his wall because if he couldn't have the original painting, he didn't even want to admire the concept. I think that he did the same thing with his Farah Fawcett poster back in 1977. Original or nothing.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thanks for telling me, I wasn't sure but now I know ;)

Could not give a hoot if nearly every single car was a Ferrari. I like Ferraris because they are Italian and because of the engineering. I currently own an Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV ... made by the 100,000's but a great driver involvement car. When I go to a club meet ... doesn't worry me that the 1750 is one of the most common 105 series ... who cares.

Do I lust after the 250 LM because it is rare ... fnck NO!, because it is awesome, a technical step forward and a winner in it's day.

Actually I like Hondas ... far more interesting to drive than most other 'A' to 'B' cars ... and I believe that they have driver fun higher up the priority than Toyotas (heck, I own a Toyota family wagon and it is about as much fun to drive as watching a reality TV show ... boring with a capital B). I'm not sure if there is any car that makes me smile when it goes by ... some definitely get my attention ... I guess some Ferrari's and old Alfas make me smile inside, but I must admit I am impressed with the new Nissan Z. Thus I guess what I am trying to say is that, yes there are brands that are not my favourite, but if they designed an exciting car ... I'd have a nosey.

It sure sounded like you bought a Ferrari for the status in your last email ... and I am a Kiwi bloke, er, combing my hair ... lets just say I get it cut short enough that I do not have to worry about that sort of debatably whimpy stuff ;)

How because you see more of them. Come on 99% of the time it is obviously not the real thing ... so excitement dwindles pretty quickly over here.

Agree with the first part but I just don't think it is honourable to copy somebody elses work ... the financial and rarity stuff is purely nose in the air BS.

Again if you judge your worth by the mere car you own ... yep I am a have not (although I am extremely happy with my Alfa Romeo thanks), but I don't because while I am a car enthusiast I work on them myself and do KNOW that they are just a collection of steel, alloy and rubber, etc. The important things in life are my family and the respect I have in my chosen career ... not the fncken car I own. Not long ago I used to drive a $1500 beater to work ... that is how little I care about what I am seen in. BTW: I'm making 6 figures so it is not that I had too.

Enjoy your Ferrari, but drop the financial BS with knocking replicas. You still own a real one and the only person who really gives a damn is yourself. I can tell you that atleast 50% of the population just see a car, yep a nice car, but just a car ... because most women still understand what a car was created for, er, moving us lazy people.

Pete's lowly opinion

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i stop, turn and stare everytime i see a Porsche Boxster; living on Long Island, i was stopping, turning and staring pretty often...! To each, his or her own...

Imitation is the finest form of flattery. If you're a replica owner and you're embarrassed to be seen in your replica 'cause other people know it's a replica, then you own it for the wrong reasons... If you're an owner of the real thing and frown upon replica owners and makers, why do you own your real-thing car...? Are you jealous that the replica owner might be snagging some of the "approval" spot light you so desperately seek...? Are you flustered because you paid a LOT more for the real thing than the replica owner did for the replica...?

There's an undeniable mystique about Ferraris - especially the older ones (80s and older) - that just CANNOT be replicated... If you can't feel that mystique and identify it whenever you're in your Ferrari, then i'm itchy to question why you own it in the first place...

Anyway, take a look at your Ferrari for a moment, whichever one it is:
    1. There are other cars out there that some people think look better than your Ferrari.
    2. There are other cars out that are faster than your Ferrari - nowadays, for half what you paid for your Prancing Horse...
    3. There are LOTS of other cars out there that are a LOT cheaper than your Ferrari...
    4. There are some cars out there that are cheaper than your Ferrari, faster than your Ferrari and that some people think look better than your Ferrari...

...ergo, if you own a Ferrari or are considering owning a Ferrari for its 'status symbol', reconsider and just go buy a leer jet...

...if you have the passion for and want the excitement that a Ferrari offers, go for it; if your passion yearns for what your wallet can't seduce, get a replica... Be proud of what you own because you WANT to own it, not because you think you're better than someone else or for whatever stupid, snobby reason some folks own their cars...

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well said NNO ;).

Pete

13. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    How did Allan get back here, and if it is not Allan he sure is doing s good attempt at copying him.

14. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Couldn't agree more.

Perhaps someone could start a poll to see what other Fchatters think of replicas.

This extract beggars belief. Theft and stealing just because the guys following his dream! What exactly has been stolen?

Get a life, Live and let live.

15. docurley

docurley Rookie

Jul 5, 2004
    People make me laugh when they’re so opposed to replicas but the thing is you buy replicas every day.

Some because there cheaper some because you think they make a better version of the original, and this goes for most thing you can buy TV's, cookers, watches and cloths and we all do it rich or poor.

For instant its a know fact the original Countach was crap to drive and a lot of the kit car companies worked out all the crap of the Countach to create a better handling and more driverble car.

So why is it then if a Ferrari gets replicated visually it’s so wrong!!!!

16. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    Everyone is allowed their openion.... trust me, I have been slammed on other boards for owning a replica and a few times in the real world so I wasn't suprised by some of the remarks on here. I appreciate the posotive and encouraging comments you guys/gals made about us replica owners. You seem to understand and respect our positions and see we also have a true passion for cars as most of you do. Hey, there are some things that I don't like about cars and car owners but I think 400SPYDER said it best....
    Cheers to all!

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Carbon my man it's Lear. Hugh's was a Leer but it's wasn't a Lear. As for Lear's they handle great, are fast, but they are a bit cramped and their range is a bit short. I've found that a G5 is the way to go if you really want to kick back. I do get your point. While G's are nice, there's nothing like a night carrier deck landing in the rain to raise your BP. and in the end raising one's BP is where it's at.

18. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    Here's a couple interior picturees Jordan and Pete. This was taken when I first purchased the car and I have since modified the shifter by cutting it down about 4 inches and installing a chrome ball instead of the 3 foot handle (or whatever that is). It's much more appealing now. The first picture looks pretty tacky with all the wires hanging but I have cleaned that up quite a bit since I can't deal with junk like that. The next thing I have planned is getting a replica steering wheel. I have seen some very well made ones but they are kinda rare and cost about $350.00. Thanks! -Paul

19. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...!

Mr. G., you're a trip...

Forget 0846, forget J6, forget (insert Duesenberg s/n here), you're a trip, all by yourself... One day, when i have my own leer/lear jet, you and i will go for a cross-country flight and you can tell me all about the difference between the two... :)

20. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
  21. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    WOA!!! No way! Thats a friggin drag car! SWEET! Check this out.... "This car consistantley runs in the low 6 second range and will rattle your teeth when standing next to it while running." I think it's cool that he did that instead of a typical track type car. I bet it pulls the tires all day long!

22. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    for me it's just that there's this thing i can't figger out about replicas, if you're honest about telling people what it isn't, i don't get the point of driving it around as it's a deliberate means to ruse others and draw attention.

but then, i of course have several 1:18 scale lambos, 'raris, etc., and i sit there thinking how cool it'd be to have a piece of art that i could drive around, so i DO understand the desire, it's just i think i'd wince to myself everytime i saw all this fake badging and whatnot on my car.

but here's the real killer for me, for the time and money invested in such a project, someone could build an awesome UNIQUE vehicle, that will never be judged by the high standard of the car it is trying to be.

i love the look of a car here in oz called the Eureka. it's just an old beetle with a sweet bodykit (and various upgrades), but dam it looks hot, and at ~700kg it does not need much power to get it to boogie. i'm trying to get a hold of one at the moment...

23. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's fit and finish are better than the real cars of that period.

24. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The looks are only 1/2 the enjoyment of these cars, driving the real cars the sounds, road feel, performance and total experience are something else alltogether, something a replica no matter how accurate in appearance can never have.

25. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Can't believe this post is still whipping a dead horse.

After rereading this thread I have changed my view on replicas due to the additional perspectives offered.

I am convinced by the excruciatingly narrow criteria offered by those professing that only the REAL thing be allowed to exist that we the owners of THE REAL THING are driving replicas ourselves. Yes, replicas!

The only true and real example of any marque is the PROTOTYPE and any car built to copy the prototype thereafter is nothing but a replica of said prototype REGARDLESS of who builds it and REGARDLESS of whether the original designer and builder gives his blessings to produce these replicas.

The preceeding statement is based STRICTLY on arguements previously set forth in this thread.

Proud to be driving a REAL FERRARI REPLICA BUILT IN ITALY BY ITALIANS.

Nice car Frog. Be happy!