Craziest things your Service Adviser has told you... | FerrariChat

Craziest things your Service Adviser has told you...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by flifer, Apr 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I took my 488 in for its first service and as I was chatting with my SA he literally had the gawl to tell me that my Carbon ceramic rotors on average need to be replaced every 25,000 miles. I asked if he was referencing track usage and he said that with street usage only the rotors need to be replaced every 25k miles!

I asked several times if he meant brake pads and he said no, all 4 rotors need to be replaced every 25k miles because they are measured based on 'timed used' not actual wear & tear.

I'd sure like to meet the maniac who burns through a set of CC rotors that quickly on the street :D

I was chatting with a McLaren SA at another dealership and he told me that McLaren carbon ceramics never squeak... He didn't seem to know anything about the bedding-in process as I prodded him further, he just professed that McLaren CCB's never squeak.

What is the craziest falsehood a SA has told you before?

Texas Forever and paulchua like this.
  2. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Mine have been pretty straight forward but this thread should be pretty entertaining, cheers!

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The worst thing a service advisor told me at a Ferrari store was after having a major done on a Testarossa.

Got the car back and within a 100 miles it started overheating. I checked the expansion tank and found it had motor oil mixed in the coolant. Car gets towed to the dealer and SA tells me the water pump failed. I checked my receipt and saw that they charged me for a water pump. Silly me for thinking that they would step up and do the right thing and fix it. They instead double talked and babbled..... took my engine completely apart and charged me an additional $10K to put it right.

After talking to the mechanic that did the work, he informed me that when he went to get the new water pump from parts, they were out of stock. He was told to button it up and get it out. They did, but charged me for the water pump anyway and when it failed, they failed to do the right thing.

I usually do my own work, but I thought I would 'treat' myself to a 'dealer service'. That was the last time I let a Ferrari store touch any of my cars.

Rory J, stavura, Shamile and 7 others like this.
  4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I took a Range Rover sport supercharged to a dealer for a service a while ago, and they stuck £1000 on the bill for doing the cambelts BEFORE I’d even given them the keys, and they took the money on the card. I rang my own race team guys, asked them what cost the cam belt would be if I got the, to do it, and they came back and told me that the supercharged has a chain, not a belt, so it wouldn’t need doing yet anyway, and it’s a chain anyway!

I went straight back in and had a shouting match with the service manager who was insistent that the car had belts, I was a fool, and they were right..... this was a main dealer....... eventually calling a service tech in to tell me I was wrong. This chap promptly put the manager straight, nd he sheepishly had to give me the money back and apologise.

A year later, I take the car to them for the annual service again, and after paying out £1500 on a bill that they tried to start at £3500 for various things they claimed they had done, I had proved they either hadn’t done them, or that they had to reinstall parts they changed for no good reason (the car only did 3000 miles a year, and was maintained almost monthly by my guys anyway, I went for the dealer stamp essentially)

On the way home, I notice white smoke pouring out the back of the car, I thought it was on fire. I slammed on the anchors and bailed out. I realised there was no fire, it was oil burning somewhere, so I drove it the last mile home, had the recovery firm come out, inspect it, and rang them. Immediately they answered and I said my name, the first thing the said was ‘it’s nothing to do with us’. Cheeky sods.

We had looked in the engine bay, and saw oil leaking from the hydraulics onto the exhaust, from a connection to part of the suspension. They had put a seal in backwards, and it had blown the system, destroying the whole set up.

I told them to STFU, and told them the problem identified and the fact they had detailed replacing this part on the service bill, so it was down to them. The whole job cost them £5000 to repair as it had destroyed various parts of the suspension, and they had the car for almost a fortnight..... idiots!

5. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    These stories are putting my stomach in knots. I ****ING hate crooked service centers.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  6. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    After taking 3 years to rebuild my 1972 365 GTC/4 motor, I noticed water in the oil after driving it for 50 miles. Took it back to the shop, and the lead mechanic (who is still in business in Costa Mesa, California) said he would pour a couple of cans of stop leak in the cooling system. I refused to let him do this and demanded they pull the motor and correct the problem. They did and found the water pump seal was in backwards. Had to replace main and rod bearings, turn the crank, new rings.....just about a complete rebuild. And of course they wanted more money in the end.
    I'd had the car 15 years and it absolutely ruined the experience.
    Moved to Arizona and was down at FMS in Fountain Hills...... wouldn't you know they had a 330GTC in the shop with a spun bearing rebuilt by the same guy in California.

7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Bought a CPO Ferrari out of state, took it to my local dealer to change the dead battery a month later. While they were inspecting the car, they noted old fluids. Service adviser where I bought the car told me brake fluid was probably years old, but it was still OK because they car hadn't been driven much.

daytona355 and Texas Forever like this.
  8. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    $830 for Interstate battery 2015 6000 mile FF.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    wow, at the dealership? Dare I ask which one?

Kevin T and daytona355 like this.
  10. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Stealership indeed!

paulchua likes this.
  11. Back'n'Black

Back'n'Black Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I had a car with intermittent power loss. It would idle fine....just wouldn't accelerate properly. Thinking it might be the transmission, I drove (DROVE) the car on to the flatbed for the trip to the dealer. After a day at the dealer, the service writer said my engine was blown. Huh? Explain, please.

He said the cat had become plugged and that it caused back pressure which caused the engine to "blow". Um...you can't give the cat a hard look with out the "check engine light" coming on. Why didn't the light engage first? The repairs would run $4,600 for a used engine (but they were going to re-use the offending cat).

I drove the car back on to another flatbed for the trip home (with the blown motor)....where I replaced the fuel pump. $200. Problem solved. The guy smirked at me when I got the keys back from the service dept, like he'd been busted "...yeah, what are you gonna do about it?".

What's sad is that there was a little old lady being helped by the same guy....she had the most dejected, frightened look on her face. I wonder how much he fleeced HER for? How does he look himself in the mirror and be pleased with what he sees?

12. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Ferrari FtLauderdale, in my opinion one of the best..

13. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I managed to get installed $300.

14. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Funny you mention the Interstate battery cost.

I had my 328 in for regular service, including a dead battery. I charged it twice but still wouldn’t hold a charge. Topped it up to 100% on a Saturday, and it was still flat by Monday morning when I tried to drive her up to the shop. Yep. Battery is done. Please replace.

So, one of the line items on the detailed quote was a new battery at $375 (I think) parts cost. I recall asking the SA “What the hell are you thinking you son of a...”. Well, not in so many words. Told him that the last time that same shop had installed the same battery in the same car about five years ago it was $125. Double checked my records - I have a full binder of all receipts since I bought the car, and a ton from previous owners - and yes, there it was, Interstate Battery Model # Whatever, $125.

So just for fun, I went and checked Interstate’s website. Yep. Retail price for that exact battery at any local Interstate dealer was $375.

So I felt like a bit of a turd for calling him out on it and said so next time i was there. I borderline accused them of gouging, but it turns out it was Interstate that had tripled their price.

15. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Had a car (can't remember which one, nothing exotic) at a mechanics shop (cant remember what for) and he noted the car needed a complete full service. I said I have just changed all the fluids and filters. He replied, well that doesn't do much at all. I lubed the latches and hinges when I got home and never went back. :)

16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Wow !

17. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I was very ill a few years ago after a botched surgery and took my car to a local guy I knew who was a very good mechanic and had worked on my Ferrari's before. I needed the timing belts replaced right away. He said he would do the work but wanted 2K to do it. I reluctantly agreed, and set a date to take the car to him with the rear bonnet off to save him some time. I show up on the appointed day and he is not there. I wait for an hour and the guy finally shows up. He says didn't you read my note I left on your van last night. I decided I don't want to work on your car, its a pain in the ass. Besides a Ferrari mechanic makes about $350.00 an hour and you are taking advantage of me. I said..........your not a Ferrari mechanic and left. I spent a few hundred on some new tools, two Costco floor jacks, and some jack stands as well as belts and bearings from Ricambe. After reading every post here about belt replacement I took the plunge. Was done in 8 hours. So the goof ball passed up on $250.00 and hour..........and he has a lift!!!! I never looked back and now do most of my own work. Much happier now.

Ryan..., Schultz, stavura and 10 others like this.
  18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The funniest thing was the service manager at FOH telling me to put black tape over the CEL. I don't want to get into the non-funniest thing.

VAF84, DIGMAN52, 19633500GT and 2 others like this.
  19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    the dealer wanted $1300 for a new battery on my 599GTO with 3400miles .. obviously I did not buy it..

brianweekes and Texas Forever like this.
  20. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    "We finally take the AMEX card for payment".

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I can honestly say I never had anything crazy told to me by a Ferrari, Maserati, or Alfa dealer's service department.

In fact, I've gotten some pretty good advice how to save money:

Mechanical Dad likes this.
  23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Many years ago I had company cars and for oil changes the company had us go to any of several national chain stores. So many times I would be in the waiting room and the SA woud approach a customer (men, but especially women) and pitch what was clearly needless services. It used to make me sick. One time I spoke up when what they were proposing was just ridiculous and told the woman she didn't need whatever it was they were pitching.

I agree, I don't know how some of these people can sleep at night. Don't they have any self respect?

24. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Bob, your video reminded me of this one. If only all techs were this fussy.

25. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    What movie is that from? I remember seeing it when I was a kid.