Creaking Top Components | FerrariChat

Creaking Top Components

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by BUD STONER, Jul 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BUD STONER

BUD STONER Karting

Apr 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    BUD STONER
    Hey guys, on my 13 Cali 30, whenever I stress the chassis such as turning on an upgrade, my top mechanism has a slight snap, crackle, and pop. Is this normal for the cali or do the components/joints need some lubrication? Thanks! Bud in SC

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hi Bud...It seems to be normal for hard top convertibles. I have noticed in on my wife's SLK and our Cali, both made by the same company (Webasto?!?). It's not inordinately loud in our case, and it seems to be more likely when you are turning while going over uneven pavement. I have read here that the annual dealer service for the Cali includes lubrication of the HTC components/joints...T

Edit - post # 8 in this thread from Steve Fordham @ Boardwalk Ferrari.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/cali-t-roof-squeaks-vs-portofino.559561/#post-145556187

3. BUD STONER

BUD STONER Karting

Apr 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    BUD STONER
    Thanks Tom! As I said, it's not really a problem. I'll mention it at my next service interval and see if Ferrari Atlanta has a fix for it. Bud

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Lubricate the seals.

5. BUD STONER

BUD STONER Karting

Apr 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    BUD STONER
    Thanks Michael, I'll give it a try. Bud

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Bud...Another thing I noticed with the wife's SLK was that the creaking got worse in hot weather. If you go to the SLK forums, they seem to recommend gummi pflege (sp?) for lubrication...T

7. BUD STONER

BUD STONER Karting

Apr 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    BUD STONER
    Thanks Tom, I'll try to run some down. Bud

8. BUD STONER

BUD STONER Karting

Apr 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    BUD STONER
    I contacted John Henkel, service manager for Miller Motorcars Ferrari, today (where I bought my Cali) regarding the creaking Cali top. His response was that all convertible metal tops have this issue. Re the type of lubricant for the hinges, John said it should be white lithium grease only and said do not put it anywhere except where it already has been placed. He is my main man so I'm going to relax, put up with the sounds, and let Ferrari Atlanta do the lubrication at my next maintenance visit. Bud

tomc likes this.
  9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I don't know how the "creaking" issue suddenly entered the discussion. You originally said "...whenever I stress the chassis such as turning on an upgrade, my top mechanism has a slight snap, crackle, and pop...". That problem comes from the roof shifting while it is in position, not when it is being operated.

If you have dry seals, you will get creaking and banging noises where the seals contact the deck. As the chassis twists or hops over a hard bump, the roof will move against the lid because the roof is only sitting on the lid pressed down by the roof mechanism and the seals are the contact points with the deck lid. The roof is only latched to the windshield - it is not latched to the rear deck lid. Dry seals become hard and will make a sharp noise when it is vibrated or slipped/skipped over the rear lid. This has nothing to do with "hinges" (of the roof mechanism).

If it were hinges you would hear the problem when the roof is being raised or lowered whereas your noise complaint is when the roof is in place. And if the hinges are really dry it will result in major wear on the hinges and you should not wait for the next service. Lubrication is primarily designed to prevent wear and the lack of noise is just a side effect, not the actual true purpose of lubrication.

10. BUD STONER

BUD STONER Karting

Apr 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    BUD STONER
    Excellent points!

11. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Also keeping rubber seals healthy will reduce paint wear in the areas where the seals make contact with the body.