CREDIT CARDS!!! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

CREDIT CARDS!!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Schnelles Fraulein, Dec 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    I'm no expert on the black card, but again, I've come across info on it during my internet travels. :)

Here's a description of some of the perks:
    http://home3.americanexpress.com/corp/latestnews/centurion_launch.asp

I believe you must charge $150K annually, be a Platinum card holder in good standing, and pay an annual fee of $2500... either that or get invited by AMEX.

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I have a 560 or a 580, can't recall which. The two factors I always get back when trying to obtain a loan, for anything, are 1) insufficient credit history and 2) insufficient employment length. There's a third factor I'm sometimes denied on and thats length at residence, since I move on average twice a year and its been that way since I've been back in California for 3 years..

On the other hand, giving up the stability means I've increased my income by 40% in 3 years. Hopefully once I start settling down (my new years resolution), I can make some big changes to my rating.

Underwriters can kiss my pale white ass until then.

Sunny

3. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    There are a few good threads in the archives about AMEX black cards. If you travel extensively they can be well worth the money if you don't mind being "marked" as a person with lots of cash.

4. twinturbo

twinturbo Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Doesn't it go against your credit everytime a credit search is done on your records?? So wouldn't this concept be bad for you?

5. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Enter the world of hard vs soft credit inquiries. :)

A hard inquiry is usually made when one applies for a loan or (sometimes) a credit card. It can be made in other situations, but this is the most common time a hard inquiry is made. When a hard inquiry is made, it can count against your score.

A soft inquiry does not go against your score. This is the type of inquiry made when you check your credit report/score.

Whenever a company says they are pulling your credit report/score, ask if its a hard or soft inquiry.

6. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I saw on that Robin Leach show the other night that to qualify for an AMEX Black Card you had to be invited by them, and also spend at least $150K annually. $150K is a good amount of money, but it's not really "crazy" spending. You would think the requirement would be at least a million.

7. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    The requirements stated already about the Centurion Card, aka "Black Card" are true. You must charge at least $150k on an AMEX card per year, meet credit requirements, and by invitation ONLY.

Annual fee is $2500, and $1500 any for additional cards.

Some Perks of the card:
    1. Free upgrade to all GOLD elite status on participating Frequent Flier Programs (delta, continental, are the big ones, but NOT United Airlines), which means FREE upgrades to business class whenever seats are available 3-5 days in advance of departure
    2. Centurion Concierge service ---- if you ever want anything special or just want someone to get anything for you, all you have to do is call them or email them. someone will always get u something. For example, I told them to research all the "extended stay" programs at all the hotels in NYC and they gave me a list of everything they found (rates, etc...) Another thing I did was ask them if they could find me a wine sommelier that could give a wine class to my friends at my apartment (they called all the top restaurants in NYC to get a list)
    3. If you are ever in trouble (medical, physical, etc..anything), and there is no way for you to get out, call them and they will send a helicopter to pick you up for FREE. For example, if you are in a 3rd world country, call the phone number on the back of the card and a chopper will pick u up.
    4. Free upgrades on all rooms at participating hotels (ie. Ritz-Carlton, etc...the nice hotels). Besides free upgrades, each hotel has an additional perk like free high-noon tea for 2 at the hotel, etc....

These are just some of the perks. The best part of the black card is the concierge service. And definitely if you travel a lot, the card works wonders!

8. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Actually, because of this thread, I decided to apply for an upgrade to MBNA's top-tier card, the Quantum. (I was approved.) No fee = not nearly as many perks, but there is a free concierge service, among other things. It's also a decent rewards card for travel, etc.

It's not really an "elite" card, but it's a great feeling to be in such good standing that you can get one, especially at my age and without being extremely affluent.

If the black card is a little out of your reach, some other companies' top-level cards might not be, and they still come with extras.

9. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    American Express is slipping. They invited me for the Centurion Card.

10. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    I got the black for a while now, frankly, it's quite a lot of BS.

YOu get upgrades et al, but it's basically the same you get from platinum.

For Europeans, the cool thing is the car insurance cover, but it's only a nice try, since the car value is limited to 50'000 USDs.
    Then again, at avis you can rent any car costing under 50'000 USDs (and also more), with insurrance. But rent exotic, and you're cooked.