Croatia and Slovenia - Itinerary Help | FerrariChat

Croatia and Slovenia - Itinerary Help

Discussion in 'Travel' started by 3POINT8, Apr 29, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Hi -

My family and I are planning a trip to Croatia and Slovenia in August. We have not bought tickets yet but plan on flying into Ljubijana on August 12 and out of Zagreb on August 23. This is of course flexible, these connections just seem to be the most efficient at the moment.

We have four kids under the age of 12 and have been traveling abroad with them about once a year since they were born. They have been all over and are generally ok with doing whatever (and their favorite part is always the plane ride).

I have done several rushed itinerary type trips and would like help balancing between not being rushed and making good use of time. I think we'd be most interested in scenario and small towns.

I have mapped out a little itinerary but hoping to get some boots-on-the-ground feedback of maybe some smaller out of the way places to stay near the towns I mentioned. Any and all other advice is much appreciated!

The tentative plan is as follows:

Fly in to Ljubljana
    then to Trieste
    then make way down to Zadar area
    then up through Plitice Lakes
    then to Zagreb

I figured this would be a good swatch for 12-13 days-ish but not really sure practically. Thanks again for your help!

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would strongly recommend seeing Lake Bled, but it is in the wrong direction you are headed. However,the Postjona Cave is on your way to Trieste, a must see.

3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    awesome thank you! looks like Lake Bled could be a day trip from ljubljana?

4. mcw

mcw Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 10, 2008
    In Slovenia:
    1.) Postojna Cave tour, whole family
    2.) Predjama Castle, whole family
    3.) Lake Bled, adults for vista and stroll. About an hour or less from Ljubljana.

In Trieste:
    1.) Espresso, hot chocolate, other food delights at "Caffe" at Via Vincenzo Bellini 51, or other nearby trattoria on the Canal Grande di Trieste, adjacent the Ponte Rosso bridge for Via Roma on which there is a famous stature of James Joyce (who lived in Trieste), whole family for food, Joyce for some adults. If using public parking, be cautious about valuables left in vehicle.

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    wow awesome thx

6. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
  7. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Ljubljana sucks. I've rarely been to a city that goes so completely quiet after 20:00. Highly recommend flying into Venice instead, rent a car and drive down the coast to Dubrovnik. If you can swing it, make a small detour into Bosnia too--it's a really cool country mostly unspoiled by tourists. Depending on how much car your family can stomach, a loop back through Visegrad, Srebrenica and perhaps Belgrade would be fun too.

8. travis Jins

travis Jins Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 5, 2024
    Full Name:
    Travis Jins

I would strongly recommend seeing Lake Vrana, its going to be a very good adventure

9. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Not hijacking thread but we are in early stages of planning trip to Serbia and Croatia to visit my grandfather's birthplace. I found the above posts helpful. Thanks.

3POINT8 likes this.
  10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Thanks for the tips!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Loved Lake Bled . Took the kids and rented a row boat to the center island/church . Kids rang the bell . Jumped into the water for a swim . Trieste you need to see Mirimare Castle . Nice place to walk around as well. Ljubljana is nice to walk the Canal at night , I think it's not bad for the visit . Zadar is small but the sea organ is something special as the waves hit it and makes music . Most Important is to have fun and make the best of it .

If you can make it down to Dubrovnik and Montenegro, that would be REALLY special....I know it's a big drive but one day ...

12. Cionweest

Cionweest Rookie

Jun 23, 2024
    Start in Zagreb, Croatia's capital. It's got cool museums and parks. Then head to Plitvice Lakes for unreal nature vibes—waterfalls galore! Next up, Split is rad with its old town and Diocletian's Palace. You gotta hit up Hvar Island too—it's a party spot with gorgeous beaches.

3POINT8 likes this.
  13. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    We started in Dubradnic (sp?) then pretty much the exact same itinerary. Cool trip. But going from Dubradnic up to Split you have to pass through Serbia, which was a little weird.

14. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    In my childhood neighborhood on The West Side of Steelton, you could go from Croatia through Serbia and back to Croatia in three connected row houses.

Innovativethinker likes this.
  15. Cionweest

Cionweest Rookie

Jun 23, 2024
    For Slovenia, Ljubljana is a gem. Think colorful buildings, cute cafes, and a chill vibe. Lake Bled is a must—castle views and a stunning lake to kayak or chill by. And don't skip Postojna Cave—it's like another planet underground!

For travel between cities, I'd use trains. They're comfy and scenic. Check out https://www.dbfahrplan.com/de/ for schedules and tickets—it's super handy!

16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    awesome thanks. was bled crowded when you went?

17. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    awesome thanks!

18. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Considering it was the season and comparing it to other destinations it was nice . Nothing "over crowded" to the point of not enjoying it . Rented a row boat and went to the center island church . A must . Great local 2 second story resturant with a view of the lake .

3POINT8 likes this.
  19. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    wow!!!!!! looks insane

koisokok likes this.