Crosswind landing A 380 | FerrariChat

Crosswind landing A 380

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ferrari_250tdf, Oct 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
  2. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  3. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    I guess that's the aeronautical equivalent of a "tank slapper".

Looked very scary indeed....pilot induced after the initial touch down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Fly Emirates, NOT!

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks like the tail kicked out about 30 degrees to the right upon landing and the pilot was able to realign with the runway. For those pilots out there, what would be the maximum displacement of the tail beyond which it is not possible to regain control of the aircraft?

6. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It looks like the pilot was a little behind on his rudder inputs.
    The passengers now have an idea what the esses at Circuit of the Americas feel like
    in a race car.

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Alright; we need some experienced input here......looks scary....looks like a 'good save'.......commenters are divided betw. "good save" and "send him back to the sim"....
    Where is the reality? (TIA)

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm not a pilot, but that looks completely off from other crosswind landings I've seen widebodies make.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    First of all, Emirates is a fine carrier. I would have no problem flying on them myself, or sending my family on them.

It looks like a very windy, very gusty day. In the second half of the video, you can see the airplane on final from another angle, and it's bouncing around quite a bit-- and that's an A-380!

It looked to me like he kicked it straight in the flare, as he should, and then there was a gust, or more accurately the lack of a gust, which caused him to inadvertently overcontrol. From there, it was a bit of pilot induced oscillation, until they got it under control. Was it perfect? No, but a safe job on a challenging day.

I don't fly big airplanes like that, though, so I'd be interested in hearing what Lou has to say.

10. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    That guy almost lost it. Should have had more air speed, and put her down harder.

11. 400GT4doors

400GT4doors Karting

Jan 2, 2009
    Vigo, Spain
    My question is: Why to assume the risk of landing with those wind conditions? Why the pilots didn't go to a safer weather conditions airport?

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Commercial airliners are tested and made to land in crosswind conditions as these so it's not high risk. It's up to the pilot to have the skill set to land safely in those conditions. Landing at another airport is not easy or cheap. For the A380, there are very few airports made to handle them (see the recent emergency landing A380 due to the engine failure). Not to mention the added costs of getting the plane back to its proper airport and passengers off then on (and missing connections at that airport and subsequent for new passengers due to diversion).

It would need a hurricane to shut the airport down like what happened recently in FL for Hurricane Irma.

400GT4doors likes this.
  13. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    It was a very stormy day. I was on the mainland that day and the news channels were showing quite a bit of storm damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Would the landing gear have to be crack tested after or is it designed to survive shear? That looked like it could have damaged parts.

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There are limitations, and presumably the conditions at that airport were inside those limitations. If so, they should have been able to land safely (and they did), and if not they should have gone elsewhere. I have not heard that they were exceeding the limitations, but I guess it's possible.

And, limitations are based on the information you have at the time-- if it's right at the limit (based on a report 5 minutes old) and the wind picks up, there isn't any good way to know that.

400GT4doors likes this.
  16. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Would be interesting to see how autopilot would perform in such conditions.

17. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    There are design load conditions for 'drift landings'. But like every other load condition they are based on a set of specific parameters. If those parameters are exceeded then inspections may be required.