CS F1 computer | Page 2 | FerrariChat

CS F1 computer

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by duskybird, Jun 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#26 Ricambi America, Sep 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good picture Damian! I guess that's why having top-tier diagnostic tools (like an SD3 or ST05) is becoming a necessity for independent shops as more and more late-model cars pull into you door.

The TCU's we get now from SpA are an even later software version and usually dated in late 2003. The one currently on the shelf has a software date of 8-25-2003. (the overlay sticker suggests it was a Marelli reflash of an early physical box) Honestly, I don't know what the software revisions are... but it was substantial enough for Ferrari to issue a part supersession and the item is now listed as 196986.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    Daniel,

TCU 197263 which Ferrari-tech showed supercedes to 211023 for non-CS 360s ;-)
    You showed the CS TCU, but your question regarding use of the latest correct
    TCU is certainly still valid.

Regarding calibration with SD2/SD3, I expected all along that a recalibration
    is needed to get it right. I've had the TCU in my MY01 recalibrated a few times
    in the 3 yrs I've had the car as the clutch wears in. Each time there was an
    improvement, but the most dramatic improvement was when FoW met me at VIR and did
    it in the paddock for me. Great service.

As for the latte, get the fatty version and live a little ;-) You've helped me multiple
    times with parts and great delivery, so I'll gladly buy you one (fatty or low-fat)
    next time we meet up. Hey, if you loan me that CS TCU for a few weeks to
    experiment, I'll step it up to a somewhat more expensive drink ;-)

Lou

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'm fine with that deal. I'll take any classified growth Bordeaux at the Angus Barn, thank you very much.

Seriously, as long as you don't cook it and promise to give lots of feedback, come get it. You could take it down to Roebling... that'd be sweet. Give me a ring today.

With regard to the part numbers, the normal 360 TCU's seem to get updated more frequently than I change underwear. The CS one however, does not have nearly the same number of revisions. What's even more interesting is that normal 360 TCU's are actually more expensive than the CS one. Go figure.

4. ferrarilou

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    Wow, terrific offer! I need to find someone with an SD2 who is willing to do the calibration here in NC, and I need to think about how we measure and prove the improvement. I'll post back after I've done some checking. Thanks!

Lou

5. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Sure, but first I'll have a quad grandee nonfat cap.

You need to have it set up with a SD2/3. The difference between a stock 2000 and a Stradale is very noticeable. Better driveability around town and better, crisper up and down shifts in sport mode.

6. xavior

xavior Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dan, can I clarify? in layman's terms. If I have a 2000 360 F1, updating the TCU is a must. The CS TCS would be the best bet over the updated 360 version?

After reading this thread, I would come to the conclusion that the CS TCU

1) Properly calibrated, shifts faster in sport more and rev matches better on down shifts.
    2) Shifts smoother in normal mode and improves on clutch wear.

Is there any merit to updating with the 2002+ TCU?

7. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Updating to the 2002 TCU or a flash to your existing TCU will provide a much smoother, positive shift. I went with the CS TCU because I wanted to have my car shift like a CS does. It's a bit more abrupt while shifting up (heavy acceleration) in sport mode but the down shifts can't be beat. It makes this "bark" through the Larini that scares the neighbors!

8. JChoice

JChoice Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JC
    If I already have an 02 360, can I just flash it or reprogram it to be smoother/faster? Is the software updateable?

9. ferrarilou

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    Quick update on this. I have a shop lined up to calibrate the TCU. I've also been looking at ways to measure the
    resulting change. Spoke to Lolaman and he thinks I can do it with my Traqmate. Since the FCA SE region
    Savannah event is just around the corner, and I have yet another business trip between now and then,
    I'm going to delay this work for a couple of weeks.

Lou

10. fyamamoto

fyamamoto Rookie

Sep 3, 2007
    Atlanta, Tampa
    Full Name:
    Franklin
    Do you know what was involved with getting this to work? I have my car at Ferrari of Atlanta and they say the car will not self learn because the TCU appears to be searching for some things that don't exist in a 360. Do you know what in particular got recalibrated after the TCU was installed?

11. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    All we had to do is do the proper setup with the SD2.

12. fyamamoto

fyamamoto Rookie

Sep 3, 2007
    Atlanta, Tampa
    Full Name:
    Franklin
    I got off the phone with FOA a while back and they said they're thinking there's a problem with the unit now.

13. thehick

thehick Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    VA
    Just got my 02 360 back from Competizione after new clutch and CS F1 computer upgrade. All I can say is wow, what a difference! The shifts are lightning quick, blips on up and down. This is the single best upgrade I've done to date.