CS lurching in 1st | Page 2 | FerrariChat

CS lurching in 1st

Discussion in '360/430' started by ifeelfree0, Oct 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Try uploading a video so we can see exactly what’s going on?

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The "pilot induced oscillation" (PIO) effect in first gear seems to be related to how the driver places their foot on the gas pedal. If the position allows the driver's body to influence the position of the gas pedal, then the oscillation effect comes into play. Sudden acceleration in low gear causes the driver's body to push back into the seat, which causes the foot to lift off the gas pedal. As the acceleration is reduced, the body of the driver lurches forward, applying pressure on the pedal, which causes the oscillation to repeat and usually, get worse. For manual cars, pushing in the clutch stops the oscillation but for two pedal cars, only two things can stop it. Lifting off the pedal or locking the foot so it's no longer being influenced by the movements of the body.

I've seen this problem in every performance car I've driven and usually, after about a month of driving, I get the foot position down so it doesn't happen. I think the F cars are particularly affected since they have such a sensitive pedal, light flywheel, and high revving engines.

I suspect the OP doesn't have this issue as it's not a new car to him. If the OP has changed something as minor as new footwear, it could be the PIO effect though.

3. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    As I noted earlier, I may have gotten sloppy in my technique, knowing this is a different animal than my 575 or other F cars I've ownws had. I would rather have it "on me" than my wallet so I will report back once I have had it out again later this week.

EastMemphis likes this.
  4. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    Me again, I also had to replace my throttle pedal potentiometer, The first 10% travel ended up being dead. So that is also something to look into.

EastMemphis likes this.
  5. ifeelfree0

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Much better with a flat foot on the pedal versus the toe only on the pedal as I seem to have been driving before. Probably 70% better than where it was the last time I drove. Still a few missteps but I'm hoping that is fixable as I learn this method.
    Thanks to those who sent me straight. The throttle pedal potentiometer is also in play

brookliner7 and Michael B like this.
  6. ifeelfree0

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Second run with a firm right foot on the gas pedal with no soft pedaling and the car runs like I should. Many thanks. Feels like a new car and one that's a pleasure to drive now

7. ifeelfree0

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I wanted to put this out to both of you however couldn't figure how to do that. Certainly adds validity when there are 2 similar opinions.... getting the message in stereo!

armedferret and Michael B like this.