CS Price check | Page 10 | FerrariChat

CS Price check

Discussion in '360/430' started by riverflyer, May 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    The mileage and asking price are spot on.

2. scott40

scott40 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #227 scott40, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    Yes! But he still owes me for new fobs:( No biggie really, had he not promised and promised to reimburse me for them. For anyone considering working with him, I recommend getting everything up front before any funds trade hands.

3. stradaledriver

Sep 3, 2007
    Yes you are correct my Stradale received its 15k and 30k services at RTGT and now it is stored in Portland. I have it listed on FerrariAds if anyone is interested. It has been given a clean bill of health and was stored at the dealer until 2 weeks ago. It is now at a private storage facility indoors of course.

4. Stradale Joe

Stradale Joe Karting

Jul 26, 2006
    downtown
    Full Name:
    Joe Panache
    I guess I was lucky to sell my 9600 mi CS last October for 175K (it needed a major) even though it had 2% brake wear and 10% clutch wear.

5. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    #230 nerd, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A few British cars brought what I consider crazy money at Monterey, but I didn't think I'd see a day when my E-Type was worth about the same as my Challenge Stradale.

RM lot 556 - 1966 E-Type OTS 1E13164 fresh restoration from Classic Showcase. Estimate was $125-150K brought $159,500.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Simply awesome. Congrats my friend!!

7. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    #232 nerd, Aug 18, 2009
    Thanks, I think.....

The value of my two E-Types have seemingly held firm over the past 1-2 years and my CS has dropped about 20%.

Here's a good comp for my '62 FHC:

Bonhams Lot No: 257
    1964 Jaguar XKE Series I 3.8 Fixed-Head Coupe
    Chassis no. 889113
    Engine no. RA3302-9
    Body no. V6391

Another Classic Showcase restoration.

Sold $99,450 - A really solid number for today's market!

Really, really puzzled.

8. balenciaga

balenciaga Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2008
    NYC
    Full Name:
    derek
    are you crazy? price is spot on ?? car has high miles and the reason it has not sold is the price. if it was spot on it would not be for sale for over a year

9. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    #234 StoryBook, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
    Derek, relax man! What I meant when I answered Stokpro's question about whether that was the car at RTGT was that it IS the car. The mileage and asking price are "spot on" as far as that exact same car. I guess my answer was lost in the internet translation.

Unruffle those hackles man.....and my sentiments are exactly as yours.......way over priced for what it is in this market.

10. balenciaga

Jul 19, 2008
    NYC
    Full Name:
    derek
    cool man ! lol)) sorry I was just looking at the car for so long and wanted to make a move on it but it was always so over priced! my bad !!

11. stradaledriver

Sep 3, 2007
    #236 stradaledriver, Aug 19, 2009
    The reason it has been for sale for so long is becuase RTGT erroneously had the car listed for sale at $185,000.00 for many months and that is NOT the price that the car was supposed to be listed at. Once I discovered that the price was wrong it was listed at $169,000.00 and then dropped to 159,995.00 negotiable. I took over the sale of my car a few weeks ago and it was moved to a private storage facility in Portland and now I am responsible for its sale. As far as the price it goes it is a good price for a clean, fully serviced, no story Stradale. I dont know why everyone is afraid of the mileage...the car is a Ferrari and and most people act like it is going to fall apart soon because it has "High" miles. IMHO the yellow Stradale with 200 miles is far more of a gamble than a higher mileage car...5 years old and only 200 miles...not good from the perspective of an automotive technician. Sitting for long periods of time is not good for a vehicle especially from a lubrication standpoint. Is the oil 5 years old? How many times has the car gotten up to operating temp? The questions are endless and I maintain that car is more of a gamble than mine. One more thing...if you dont like the price then dont buy the car. But someday someone will get a very nice beautiful black Ferrari for a good price (whatever that price may be) and this person will realize what I have realized...you simply cannot put a price on the feeling one gets when he slides into the drivers seat and pushes that carbon fiber bathed START button and hears that engine bark to life in all its glory and I feel priveleged to have experienced over 14000 miles at the controls of one of the most incredible vehicles ever conceived. A Ferrari is born to be driven. End of story.

12. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2005
    Colorado
    That's beautiful CS. That's how they should look.

13. balenciaga

Jul 19, 2008
    NYC
    Full Name:
    derek
    #238 balenciaga, Aug 19, 2009
    at the end of the day someone is going to buy a car with 11,000 or 8,000 miles or even 200 miles over your car with 18000 miles no matter how many times you say its better to have a car with 20k.

Dont get me wrong... I love your car. I wanted to buy your car at one point. my car looks almost exactly the same. All I am stating is what the real world out the door value is, in my opinion. thats all. cars near or over 20k are going out the door for 130 to 140 those are just real world numbers.

14. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    interestingly in Switzerland circa 12 for sale, not of them ever sell, but the owners will not accept lower prices = no market

15. stradaledriver

Sep 3, 2007
    That car is, quite possibly, the most beautiful non-living thing these eyes have ever seen. I dont know why I feel that way about a car but as long as it is legal and feels good I dont question it.

16. stradaledriver

Sep 3, 2007
    I am not saying that my car is better or worse than anyone elses. I am not saying that the price I have it listed for is right or wrong. I am not saying that I know what price I will eventually sell the car for. I actually am not talking price at all. I am not talking about nor do I care what the market is like. What I am trying to address and dispute (or maybe just understand) is why it is considered to have "high" mileage. I am not talking price I am talking mileage. Why is 20,000 miles considered high mileage on a Ferrari? I am a retired automotive tech and owned my own diagnostic shop. When vehicles would come into my shop sometimes they were not worth repairing anymore for numerous reasons and one of the reasons might be "high mileage" and the general consensus was that anything over 150,000 miles was "high". So the implication, to me anyway, is that a car with "high" mileage is near the end of its service life and not worth repairing anymore and should be considered nearly worthless. I mean how long does a Ferrari last? Is my car on its last leg? Was I duped by Ferrari into buying a car that wont last more than 20 or 30k miles? I have included a picture I just took of my other toy a 2008 Alpine white M3 that is 1 year old. It is stored, as my Ferrari was, from October to May and is only driven on nice days and never in winter. It has 15000 miles on it...is this also considered "high" mileage?

17. stradaledriver

Sep 3, 2007
    #242 stradaledriver, Aug 19, 2009
    pictures. Does this car have "high' miles? if you answer "yes" then please explain why and if you answer "no" then why does my Stradale have "high" miles? Thanks for everyones comments and input and for everyone realizing that this is a discussion and not an argument.

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    It would seem that in the past 'high mileage' as it relates to a Ferrari was much lower due to the perceived mechanical maladies they suffered. There was an old cartoon in Road & Track of a Ferrari Lusso being admired as people stood to one side. However the reader could see the other side and the front tire was off and the car was jacked up. The perception was that these cars were complicated and wore out quickly.
    Then along comes increased demand for Ferrari models. As a result you could not just walk in and pick one off the showroom floor. You had to order the car and that took time. If there is one thing Americans don't like to do it is wait. (Even Rolls Royce had to start carrying inventory at it's American dealers. When the customer decided he wanted a Rolls; it was right away. Not 6 months later.) To jump the line as it were Ferrari customers started to offer a premium for quick delivery. Thus there was an incentive for the dealer to sell the same Ferrari twice in a short period of time. The prefered customer put a few hundred miles on his Ferrari and then the dealer sold it on with very low mileage as a used car. As more dealers got into the act there were many low mileage cars available. This then became the standard; you could buy a used Ferrari with very low mileage. When something showed up with 15,000 miles it was not popular unless the price had taken a big hit. The surplus of low mileage cars have tilted the mileage scales for Ferrari cars to a much greater degree than 'normal' cars. There is really no comparison. Just my humble opinion.
    CH

19. balenciaga

Jul 19, 2008
    NYC
    Full Name:
    derek
    I dont claim at all to be an expert by any means. Just some one who owns a 360 and knows the the ins and out of the stradale from converting mine over all with oem parts. And also searching to buy one for over a year.

If i look at all the stradales for sale right now and make a list of all the miles on all of these cars I have a feeling the average will land right around 9,000 to 13,000 miles. So if there are 20 stradale for sale right now and the average miles on the cars is 10,000 and yours has 20,000 the mileage is double what all the other cars are. So yes in comparison your car has hi mileage.

So lets assume I am looking for a stradale and I and see a few i like in a certain color. Myself and YOU will choose the model with the lower miles over the same exact car with 10,000 more miles. And same with every other person on the planet earth. as long as all the service is done and its a clean car.

20. raw tubor

raw tubor Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2007
    I like you're post and the message you're implying is absolutely right. I'm sickened by the gadflies who regard a 4-5 year old Ferrari with 15K miles+ as a "high mile" car. This implies the cars are made out of paper mache. It further implies that a high end porsche turbo that can easily go 100K miles without major problems if far superior, mechanically, to any ferrari out there. Moreover, the tendency for many cars to be low mileage, and thus set a 'low mileage norm', further implies people buy them not to drive them or enjoy their true performance but simply to 'own one' as one does a piece of jewelry for regular buffing. In other words, "look at my jewelry, hardly used, hardly touched". And then there's the issue of super low mileage cars with drying seals etc. Sadly, our angst over this issue is not likely to go away easily for the simple reason that a large share of F wannabees are paper mache characters. It's not a problem with modern Ferrari cars!

21. stradaledriver

Sep 3, 2007
    for helping clarify what I am trying to convey. The implication is that Ferrari, when compared to cars like Porsche or BMW, is so substandard in design and manufacture that actually driving or putting miles on the car is detrimental to the vehicle and should be avoided at all costs. And if that in fact is the case then almost every vehicle manufacturer out there is better at designing and manufacturing automobiles than Ferrari is. Man did I have it backwards or what?

22. F458

F458 Karting

Aug 1, 2009
    Malibu, CA
    #247 F458, Aug 19, 2009
    +1

It's a relative question, not one of absolutes.

Edit: Although, I also agree with your points Stradaledriver that compared to other cars it's silly and that 20k miles is not a problem in modern Ferraris. "Unfortunately" for you, the market and its average mileage is what it is.

23. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Having just gone through the buying experiance, I found most cars in the 04' vintage had less that 10k miles, many had less than 5k miles. I did not consider any car with 20k miles since it seemed way out of the norm, and why not buy a low mileage car? The car I bought had 8k miles on it.

Not an opinion, just what my experiance was.

Now the quandry is what do I do? I think screw the depreciation, I'm gonna drive the car.

24. acon

acon Karting

Nov 3, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    Anthony Cacciola
    there is a silver cs for sale at naples motorsports with approx. 7000 miles. Does anyone know anything about this car?

25. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini

Ask them why the CEL is on. Aftermarket headers have altered the O2 sensor readings. The car looked very clean but wouldn't pass emissions testing in TX...can't get it titled. I found this out from sources close to Ferrari of Atlanta. This was not revealed to me by the sellers. Problem may have been fixed since, but I passed on the car.