CTEK Battery Reconditioner Adapter Plugin | FerrariChat

CTEK Battery Reconditioner Adapter Plugin

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 2fastforu, Jul 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    My 458 Spider didn't come with the battery reconditioner. Instead of paying $400 for a factory Ferrari brand CTEK charger, I'm planning to purchase a better one from CTEK. Do you know where I can get the Ferrari plugin adapter that plugs into the passenger side? Apparently the CTEK charger doesn't have this Ferrari plugin. I have sent an email to CTEK if they have this adapter and waiting for response.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Ferrari only - either you pay the F tax or you rewire with the CTEK leads

3. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #3 720, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I emailed CTEK a couple months ago, and they told me they do not make an adapter cable.

There is a solution :)

Contact Warren (fchat wkumari). He makes adapter cables himself. First class. I bought one for my Speciale so I could use my CTEK 3300 battery charger. Works great.

https://www.kumari.net/index.php/cars/ferrari-battery-charger-cable

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q-sponsored-algar-ferrari/347563-yabtp-making-battery-conditioner-connected-light-3.html

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    Thank you! I will contact Warren.

5. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yes, Warren hooked me up a few weeks back. Works like a charm with the CTEK chargers 3300 and 7002 (Which I use)...

6. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    Which one is better? 3300 or 7002?

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    3300 will work fine. 7002 is better though as it has more conditioning modes and seems to be a little more robust at withstanding brown outs and power surges. Some say the 7002 is overkill. It probably is. But then again, these are special cars.

8. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    Been in contact with Warren and his advice below:

Any of the 12V <10A chargers should be just fine. If you don't have a CTEK yet, I'd go for the CTEK Multi US 4.3, around $65 on Amazon. More below.

I have and use the CTEK Multi US 4.3, around $60 on Amazon- http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-864-MU...&keywords=ctek

The CTEK Multi US 7002 is very nice, but I don't think worth the extra price (~$100) - http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-353-12...&keywords=ctek

Lots of people already have the CTEK Multi US 3300 - CTEK Multi US 3300 - http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-158-12...&keywords=ctek (~$60)
    I use one on my 308GTSi - if you already have one, use it. If not, spend the extra $5 and get a Multi US 4.3.

CTEK also makes a black rubber bumper to go around the charger ( http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-915-Bl...XGTEV47SR1V2B4 ) - I've never seen the point, but some people like them. They also sell a wall mount (http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-314-Ha...&keywords=ctek) - again, I don’t see the point, but if you’d rather have it wall mounted, it looks like a nice option.

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    If you have or ever want an AGM battery for your car, the CTEK 7002 is the way to go. Such batteries need a different charge profile to remain tops.

10. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    I think the 4.3 works with AGM battery from what the docs say.

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes that is all true what the fellow told you. I still have had such good luck with the 7002 that I just stick with that. It is more expensive but I think its a better unit.

12. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    exactly...we are talking about a Ferrari here...might as well shell out $100.00 for the best charger...of course you need to spend another $99.00 for Warren's plug adapter.

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I see the latest Ferrari Battery Maintainers now have a dongle, exactly as you need, for $465
    70002821 BATTERY CHARGER USA/CDN - Ricambi America, Inc.
    Ferrari 70002821 Battery Maintainer Dongle Complete System Upgradable | eBay

cable alone
    The Ferrari Dongle Free US s H 430 458 599 Ctek Battery Maintainer Cable | eBay

with charger
    Ultimate Ferrari Battery Maintainer Ctek Mus 4 3 Dongle Complete System | eBay

14. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I just ordered my second cable dongle for my eventual F12 through Warren today. He just made up another batch this weekend. FYI.

15. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #15 synchro, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    FerrariChat only Black Friday $30 holiday discount on everything you need from wall plug-to-Ferrari.
    I pay for all Paypal fees, all shipping, handling and insurance costs

The CTEK MUS 4.3 and The Ferrari Dongle, while supplies last
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/144332265-post6.html

Everything you need from Wall to Car

16. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I would contact Warren also, as I found out today that material parts are on lengthy backorder, extended yet another 30 days from my estimated arrival date. This may not be a good sign. Then again these also fit the F12

17. phatteus

phatteus Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    My previous 2 winters with the Ferrari supplied charger/maintainer resulted in a car that just barely started after a couple of months of inactivity.

I'm pleased to report that this winter, with my Ctek 7002 and Warren's plug, I just started the car after 2-mo of inactivity without the slightest hesitation. I highly recommend this route to anyone that can't get to their car for a number of months.

Thanks Warren!

18. Alex HH

Alex HH Karting

Dec 11, 2021
    Zhuhai (China)
    Full Name:
    Alexis H
    Hey there, I just received my Ctek adapter from Ebay (a nightmare to bring into China), plugged it on the passenger side of my Speciale... and... nothing happens.

Looks like it doesn't detect any battery. Do you know if there's something else to do in the car? I thought I'd save manually hooking it up to the battery but now for some reason it feels like the Ferrari connector doesn't work. I'll take everything down this weekend but if you guys have suggestions before that, I'll welcome them ;)

19. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just to make sure...You plugged it into the car, before you plugged it into the wall, right? I'm not sure if it will detect the battery if it is plugged in the wall first.

20. Alex HH

Alex HH Karting

Dec 11, 2021
    Zhuhai (China)
    Full Name:
    Alexis H
    Mhh I’ll try that , I think it was plugged to the wall first

21. Alex HH

Alex HH Karting

Dec 11, 2021
    Zhuhai (China)
    Full Name:
    Alexis H
    Didn't work, so I ended up taking down everything again to access the battery and I eventually plugged the ctek cables right into the battery, and this time no issue.

It seems that the "Quick" plug does not work (or maybe the adapter). I'll run a check with a voltmeter in the next few days to figure it out. If the adapter is fine, I'll try to understand what's happening with the 3 pin plug, but that seems to be a lot of work, including taking down the footstep stuff and more fabric. Not sure I want to do that..

22. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Maybe a fuse that protects the 3 pin plug?

23. Alex HH

Alex HH Karting

Dec 11, 2021
    Zhuhai (China)
    Full Name:
    Alexis H
    Went through the fuse description and didn't spot anything related to that.
    Is there a specific name besides "3 pin plug"?

24. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't know the official name unfortunately, I was just trying to throw ideas out there.

25. tfrev24

tfrev24 Rookie

Jan 13, 2022
    I had the same issue on the second day I owned my car. Should be located behind the driver's seat labeled "F78 - Battery Charger". I believe it is 15A fuse. Took 10 minutes and $5 at the local auto parts store for all of the battery charger lights came back on.

If its helpful, here's a video of how to access it (skip to the 5 minute mark).

Good luck!!