Current 458 prices discussion | FerrariChat

Current 458 prices discussion

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Joe P., Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joe P.

Joe P. Karting

Feb 22, 2018
    Charlotte NC USA
    Full Name:
    Joe P.
    Hey guys,
    New here- just picked up 1 owner 2014 458 with 8400 miles it's being delivered in a few days- came out of a 17 Z06 (that car is wicked fast but went to cars and coffee- saw 3 other black ones like mine and that was my signal LOL). So I have done a LOT of research, talked to many folks who know cars- one guy said that 458's are "in freefall". I have been watching prices on ebay cars.com autotrader carguru- all the main places we check. What i'm seeing is that low mileage examples are still commanding a decent price (I know- it's listed doesn't mean that's what it sells for but you know what I mean). Yes- you can now pick up 2010 with 50K miles for about 127K but those are few and far between. Also, while my car was listed with the original MSRP, many cars are listed for sale without mention of the orig MSRP so if a 2012 is selling for 179K- was the orig 296 or was it 243K- huge question when looking around. I know you can look at the sticker and see but shopping around I noticed it was not readily available especially on the listings. When I sell my 458 one day (who knows when)- I will not only state that I have full service records, the PPI from Ferrari when I purchased it but also show the sticker, which is so helpful as a potential buyer can use that to make their decision easier in my opinion.
    Sorry for going long. Any other opinions on this subject? -if it has been discussed a lot already maybe we can refresh the conversation/update it a bit? Thanks and good to be here.

Joe

2. alexwolf1216

alexwolf1216 Rookie

Jun 15, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Alexander Wolf
    So I’m selling my 2012 certified 458 with 14.8k miles for $179k, and sadly I don’t have the sticker. They sent me the build sheet, but it doesn’t have an msrp. They want $500 for a replacement sticker, and in not sure how else to get one.

3. Joe P.

Joe P. Karting

Feb 22, 2018
    Charlotte NC USA
    Full Name:
    Joe P.
    Are you sh...ting me? $500 for the replacement sticker? -I know it's Ferrari but give me a break that's absurd. I already took a cell pic of mine in case it disappears one day/as backup. Good luck with the sale. Here in Charlotte there are 2 red ones for sale 2012 with same miles as you asking in the high at least 10K more but this is not a big Ferrari market town. Good luck with it

4. alexwolf1216

alexwolf1216 Rookie

Jun 15, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Alexander Wolf
    Dude tell me about it. That’s why I didn’t post msrp, because I don’t have a clue. I did read somewhere that my headrest stitching was $3600 or something nuts like that I don’t even get to see it

5. Joe P.

Joe P. Karting

Feb 22, 2018
    Charlotte NC USA
    Full Name:
    Joe P.
    Yeah strange. I was looking at Huracan before deciding to go 458 and same crap- some sellers post MSRP some don't. If two 2012's are selling one for 179 one for 198 with similar miles but one has a 296 MSRP one has 245, would be nice to know for buyers to compare apples to apples, but I guess that's asking for too much of some. Anyway again bro good luck with selling it. Why are you selling?

6. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Was looking now paused. 1 lots of inventory. 2 488inventory is growing. 3 488 pista coming 4 f12 prices dropping. Etc. all put price pressure on 458. There are some great buys out there.

Agree about window sticker and msrp. It’s hard when it’s gone. Is it worth 500? Hmmm. Perhaps.

shawdut likes this.
  7. Joe P.

Joe P. Karting

Feb 22, 2018
    Charlotte NC USA
    Full Name:
    Joe P.

Noted. On the flip side- 458's becoming more affordable to the 150-200K crowd that can't or don't want to do 300K+ for a weekend type car. The 488 mechanically is a 10 but looks-wise of course some feel that the 458 is cleaner and there's the "I don't want turbos and that big gaping vent look on the 488" not to mention the noise factor, so numerous factors at play. 7 years maintenance on newer 458's also making more new-to-ferrari buyers feel better about a pre-owned purchase than in past. I know i'm not saying anything new here though....

SlickMurphy and shawdut like this.
  8. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Use Autobytel.com, search up your car model and year, and go to the "Build Yours" tab to get the MSRP of your car.

I found the options to be VERY accurate in terms of description and pricing. I tried it with my Speciale that has nearly $90k worth of options and it got within $<100 of its final sticker.

I've also configured on that website with a lot of other cars and it has always been super accurate. Just select your car's model year and then begin ticking the options it has based on the build sheet!

kiryu and Joe P. like this.
  9. BlueFerrari458

BlueFerrari458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2018
    In my mind you buy a preowned Ferrari for the car itself ... the spec you would have done new or as close to it ... buying cars like this to flip or store is kind of silly in my mind. On your deathbed who cares about what your car collection is worth? What you will have is the miles and smiles as memories. Cars plummet in value so do these Lambos ,McClarens, you name it. Unless a dealer buddy of your gave you a speciale aperta build slot your values will go down. I like the 458 as the last naturally aspirated 8 from Ferrari I am considering a 812 for the same reason as a 12 but if you buy as an investment you are making a huge mistake. My car is an early 15 model ( manufactured 8/14) 340k sticker I bought for 269k with new tires 3800 miles and CPO warranty. I could have bought equivalent cars for maybe 20k less yet I wanted this car. In the end enjoy each day is a gift drive and smile and that is your real return.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Mike Marks and bball16 like this.
  10. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Joe,
    I’d venture that by the time you sell your 458, the original MSRP will be nothing more than an interesting side note.
    It will have no effect relative to the other 458s on the market.

11. alexwolf1216

alexwolf1216 Rookie

Jun 15, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Alexander Wolf
    Brilliant. I’m gonna give it a go.

Selling because I financed a bit of it ($80k) and I don’t want a payment. I do love the car, but it was an impulse buy and admittedly I regret it.

12. alexwolf1216

alexwolf1216 Rookie

Jun 15, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Alexander Wolf
    Fabulous! My msrp is $266,307 before the headrest stitching (wasn’t an option) cucire cavallini su poggiatesta in full Rosso is what it’s called on the build sheet.

Great resource.

Joe P. likes this.
  13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Took some hunting to find where to build on the autobytel site but good tool. Got close with a $351k+ msrp.

14. Joe P.

Joe P. Karting

Feb 22, 2018
    Charlotte NC USA
    Full Name:
    Joe P.
    No disagreement here. I have real estate that I invest in and my 69 Camaro will only go up in value- a regular production car including 458 is not an investment. My sticker was 296 i paid 195 with 8400 miles. Will enjoy it for few years and go from there- If it's worth 150 in 3 years and I drove the car for 16K a year or so that would be just fine

15. Joe P.

Joe P. Karting

Feb 22, 2018
    Charlotte NC USA
    Full Name:
    Joe P.
    No disagreement here.

16. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Yes autobytel is solid, use it for all the cars. In addition to the msrp, u get to learn the options available for your car so it makes shopping a lot easier. You can look at pictures and identify options and extras, to help gauge if it’s a good buy.
    As for the value, it’s certainly a buyers market for now. However low mileage and well optioned ones are still holding, just for pple who simply want a cheap 458 regardless of miles or options will get some steals out there. If I have waited 6 months to a year longer, I could have save 10-15k, but that isn’t really all that much. The 458 has been holding value well for a long time much better than macs and Lambos.... it’s about time it gets its share of depreciation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Original MSRP has less value both financially and to a buyer as a car ages.

Current model cars are sensitive to original MSRP and options because you're essentially comparing a user car to a new one. Once a car is phased out of a production that comparison is void.

The only thing a high MSRP tends to do is give you a ton more options than a comparable car and makes it likely easier to sell so long as those options were tasteful and not overdone. The reality though is that on a 458, the must haves are upgraded seats, (sport or daytona), forged wheels, painted calipers, and shields. Everything else including the LED wheel is completely subjective IMHO.

Joe P. and Fastmd like this.
  18. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    You may be right but an interesting thing happened three to four years ago. All high end used dealers began pushing their prices up based on original msrp quotes. I mean who can resist the deal of. A400k car new for 150 now. They began distorting the current value based on original pricing.

That said a highly optioned well speccd car will likely sell faster and for more than lower speccd and priced cars all other things being equal - color condition location.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  19. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Agreed a highly speced car does sell faster and for more money then a cheaper lower speced car.

20. oversteer

oversteer Rookie

Jun 28, 2007
    Orlando
    Heading down to check this one out next week: 2015 458 Red/Beige 7700 Miles with Ferrari CPO for $199K It's at Ferrari West Palm Beach and was a trade in on a 488. This is the first single digit 2015 under $200K that I've seen.
    2015 458 WPB $199K

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Fair price given mileage. Nicely optioned sans carbon inside which is personal preference and you can easily add.
    Personally not a fan of tan carpets so that would be a deal breaker for me.
    But looks like a good car, nice price.

22. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    blue carbon looks awesome.. great shots