Current Testarossa Values | Page 56 | FerrariChat

Current Testarossa Values

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by UAS, Nov 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Those prices don't seem to be translating here. While at the same time according to Darius, 512m's are a lot higher over here than in Europe.

Shamile

Freeze. . . Miami Vice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

2. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Yeah, maybe the US places more emphasis on performance (late models) and the UK and europe more on the nostalga / classic side of things?

I see they`re all starting to pick up a bit in the US now though - but there is a premium for euro cars still.

I think MonoSpecchio's car looks a great buy, when you look at yesterdays price!

I would have thought the ultra low miles `91 would have gone a lot higher though - unless there was some obvious reason why not.

Anyway on Saturday there`s another auction - Bonhams Goodwood revival, UK.

There`s 2 Testarossa`s there:

lot 306 LHD Swiss 1988 Testarossa, 45,000 miles, Red / Tan? est: £75-85k GBP ($115-130K US)
    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22725/lot/306/

....and check out this one - Magnum`s Testarossa lol!

lot 367 LHD US 1985 Flying Mirror, 18,000 miles, Red / Cream est: £100-120K GBP ($155-185K US)
    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22725/lot/367/

Dom.

3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think lot 114 was a steal at that price. Unfortunately I was on a plane to Hong Kong during the auction! Whoever bought it will do very well.

Testas/TRs certainly seem a bit stronger in Europe. You can see the same happening with 550s which have gone mad in Europe. There's this German 'young timer' trend which is influencing these cars, also Porsches from the 90s and the like.

I wonder how much of the 512M US premium is due to there being 75 noted and plated US cars. There was a dude from Monte Carlo asking on the Sales forum how easy it would be to convert his 512M to US spec recently. But the US 512Ms are made a unique individual market by those plates. Having said that, Euro prices for these have gone up by at least 50% this year.

4. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    #1379 Veedub00, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
  6. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
  7. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Prescient. Imagine the values in five to ten years with an aging boomer population. No kids, no tuition, no weddings to finance. 👍

Sent via itty bitty electrons

8. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Wow...i started that thread about 10 years ago
    Truth is stranger than fiction!!!!
    -------------------------------------
    Started 2006

Just say you took a million dollars 18 months ago and bought 10 246 dino's.
    Your principal would have doubled.
    So...you say what F car is next to show the greatest spread in valuation.

TOO late for the Boxer....EH EH cats out of bag.....only time to buy is at low end of valley..I say Boxer will top out at 180 to 200 g's..........Time to scoff up a dozen late model low mileage TR's and sit tight....92' 93' 94's

I have been playing this game for 20 years!
    I will wait till the depth of winter and then stab.....

The tr cat is still Hibernating.....so dont let on....

9. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Wow amazing!

Sure was right - and for all the right reasons!

Trouble is trying to convince someone back then that Testarossa`s and Countach`s would be so coveted and that the window for getting one whilst they were that cheap is closing, was like trying to convince someone you had seen a UFO! (although seeing a Countach or Testarossa in the wild is almost as awesome).

I remember scouring the ads 10 years ago, seeing them so cheap, just thinking I hope they stay cheap long enough for me to somehow get one before they go nuts - and fortunately 3 years ago I just managed to (cut it a bit close though lol).

Reading threads about them from back then it`s hard to believe how naive the "old school" collectors were in not understanding that these 2 cars were the most exotic and iconic cars ever made to a whole, massive generation.

I suppose in the collector car world we didn`t have a voice back then - as many of us didn`t have the funds to buy one, so they just laughed when we said how badly we wanted one.

Now though, I bet they`re seeing the thousands of us buying them and thinking oh cr*p we were so wrong lol!

Long live the 80`s! (well the cars anyway!)

Dom.

10. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Hi, yesterdays auction results:

lot 306 No sale

lot 367 £102K GBP / 138k euro / $157k US.

There`s a few more auctions left this month - will list them later.

Dom.

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    With no offence to our friends at the EPA, I wouldn't buy a 1980s US imported European car over here in Europe unless it was a real unicorn. If you want it original, you get a load of smog/emissions and safety equipment stuck on that you don't need, and which mechanics here will not recognise or understand. And if you take it all (mostly) out, it is no longer original. With a car like a Testa, of which there was no shortage made (7177) why not choose a local car?
    Also I may be wrong but I am pretty sure I remember that Swiss Testa (no sale) on sale in Switzerland earlier this year. If that is the case, it's someone trying, and failing, to turn a quick profit on a car whose stock as UK RHD is quite plentiful. British buyers aren't suckers, quite the opposite, and if you want to bring a LHD catalysed Testa over from Switzerland with highish miles, you need to know why people in the UK will buy that over the lower miles UK RHD stock. I saw the same with some highish miles LHD 355 F1s brought over recently.
    If its a rarity, that's different. And if this isn't the Swiss car I saw, unreserved apologies to the would be vendor. But the UK market is sophisticated, and if you want to buy a Swiss LHD car, you'll probably buy it in Switzerland.
    So, something to note to anyone reading this who thinks with the cheap Euro/slightly isolated Swiss market/plentiful US market and rising prices, you can just make a quick buck without knowing what you are doing. Just enjoy the cars instead.
    Again, this may not apply to those specific cars.
    Rant completed, now its Sunday morning, its not raining and I need to take my daughter to run some errands, definitely a task for the 512M, via a small detour or two..

12. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Hi Darius, hope you had a great day out in your 512 M.

I never get bored of driving and listening to my early `86, so I can only imagine what an M is like!

Yeah if ppl want to make money importing / buying / selling them, then good luck to them - if you love old cars, what a great way to make money!

Like you say though, I think to be able to pull it off you have to be realistic with the pricing, as there`s a wide variety of models and specs and therefore values.

Original UK RHD Testarossa`s with sub 30,000 miles seem to start around £150k now (for 87-92 years).

I think you could probably still pick up a UK RHD 60,000+ miles car for £100k - not that you ever really seem them for sale - so I reckon you`re looking £110-120ish for a 45,000 miles similar car - assuming nice condition ofc.

Obviously there`s a premium for a RHD UK car both because of the RHD and also the UK/euro spec. (and also rarity I guess).

Based on that, here in the UK I think for a LHD US / Swiss / Japanese car with 45,000 miles £70-80k is about the most you can expect at the moment - with a high 60,000+ miles one maybe around the £60k mark (although Jap spec would probably be my preference of the 3 as like most Jap imports, they`re often still like new underneath!)

Much more than that you are definitely closer to being able to purchase a LHD euro spec. and not too far off a high miles RHD UK car.

A lot of these imported cars could have been landed back in the UK with all taxes and registration paid for well under £50K a year back - probably nearer £40k - so I`m surprised at the profit some people are willing to turn down even selling at £60-70k.

There`s nothing wrong with a good condtion non euro spec. car - they`re all Testarossa`s - but obviously what you can get for a bit extra does dictate the price for what in some markets is considered a less desireable spec.

Obviously if you lived in California (I wish!) then full U.S. spec would be the only spec to have and no doubt the most sought after.

Anyway it`s good that there is still a wide spread of Testarossa`s to suit everyone with some still just about affordable - right up to the ultra rare versions and garage queens for collectors!

I`ll post those other 3 September auctions up l8r.

Dom.

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Agreed completely, Dom. Really interesting analysis of pricing too.
    I have met a few people at UK auctions who are importing from Eurozone (which neither of those cars were) and trying to flip, and it's not quite as easy as that, I think - as your price analysis shows.
    There was, however, the chap who just got in ahead of me for the 575M manual 1500 km in Switzerland in February, and sold it in the UK a couple of months later for a big profit; but that's a unicorn. (See Maranello forum, I'm consoling myself that it wasn't my absolute favoured colour..)
    And absolutely, no offence to the US; I'm sure a RHD UK car would carry a big discount over there.

14. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Dom, a couple of questions. Why are full US spec the most sought after? Second what is the biggest hindrance to importing US cars to the UK? Im assuming there must be a hefty import tax because the price difference from here to there is substantial. Frankly Im surprised that more TR's arent making the trip from the US to Europe.

15. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Hi Christian,

I don`t know a lot about the US markets and emissions requirements - but I`ve had a few C4 Vette`s over the years, so often read the US Corvette forums and the picture I got from reading them especially when questions are asked about exhausts and emissions was that California has really strict smog requirements - so I (possibly wrongly?) assumed that a full US Spec car would be the only way to have a legal Testarossa that would pass emissions scrutineering in California, so more sought after than say a gray market converted euro car?

Correct me if I`ve got the wrong impression though!

It`s a while since I looked at importing to the UK - so I would think it is now a bit stricter - but the last time I looked, you pay duty - something like 10% and then VAT (currently 20%). It may have all changed now, I`m not sure - but the general rule was that by the time you had paid all shipping costs and taxes / duties and registered the car, the price in dollars would more or less become the cost in GBP. - So a Testarossa at $100K US - would end up close to £100K GBP - ie. $150Kish by the time it was road legal in the UK.

There were certain reliefs for older cars - not sure if the Testarossa is old enough for that yet though.

Other than the cost - it`s not complicated as the UK generally has much more relaxed rules for safety and emissions than the US and LHD isn`t a problem. The main changes on older cars were the lights - the headlights have to dip to the left and also we have amber rear turn signals not connected to the brake lights and a few other things like a rear fog light needed. Really nothing major especially on a fairly electrically simple car like a Testarossa.

My info there is a probably a llittle out of date and I`m sure there are people on here who know all the in`s and out`s but you get the general idea - it costs money but is relatively simple to do.

When you look at current US prices though - you can see why maybe it`s no longer that profitable to import one to the UK.

If I had the money spare a year ago I would have done it as prices were silly cheap in the US then - but now even though they are much cheaper than the UK, by the time you have paid everything and then taken into account that a US spec LHD car won`t b worth the same kind of money that a UK RHD is worth then it`s probably a bit too late to do it.

Over here in the UK the mid 80`s were still a time where UK spec. meant you got the full blown non tamed / non emission controlled version of an Italian exotic as intended, so as Darius points out there is more to it than buying from the US, importing to the UK and having a "like for like" car at a serious discount.

Like I say a year or two ago it was definitely a viable option though - and maybe is with some cars still.

Hope that makes sense!

Dom.

16. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Tanks for spelling it out Dom. Makes perfect sense.

17. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Hi, I`ve posted this on another thread but as suggested by another member, I`ll put a link to the article on here:

Generational shift driving interest in '80s cars | Owen Sound Sun Times

Ofc we knew this already :D - but finally other people are seeing it this way too.

As opposed to the usual "They`re being dragged up in value by the older classics" - they too can see that the Countach and Testarossa have a common and far more valid reason for their comeback in popularity.

Dom.

18. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Hi,

This is a bit late as the Mecum auction has already gone lol.

There were a couple of cars at Mecum yesterday:

Lot S59 1988 LHD US Testarossa, 8000 miles, Yellow / Black.
    Sold for $144k US
    https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/DA0915-230202/0/1988-Ferrari-Testarossa/

Lor S222 1992 LHD US 512 TR, 3200 miles, Red / Tan.
    Sold for $295k US
    https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/DA0915-223433/0/1992-Ferrari-512-TR/5-Speed/

There`s a couple of auctions next weekend.

Coys, Frankfurt on the 26th:

Lot 127 1996 LHD 512 M, 20000 miles, Red / Black, est: 250-285k euro
    Coys of Kensington

Lot 140 1985 (but with 2 low mirrors) LHD Testarossa, 22000 miles, Red / Black, est: 120-150k euro
    Coys of Kensington

Also Auctionata, Ferrari only auction on the 26th:

Lot 7 1986 LHD Testarossa Flying Mirror, 24000 miles, Red / Crema, est: 150-170k euro
    https://auctionata.com/intl/o/145948/1986-ferrari-testarossa-monospecchio

Lot 18 1990 LHD Testarossa, 2172 miles, Red / Black, est: 150-190k euro
    https://auctionata.com/intl/o/145941/1990-ferrari-testarossa

Lot 19 1993 LHD 512 TR, 14000 miles, Red / Crema, est: 160-170k euro
    https://auctionata.com/intl/o/145951/1993-ferrari-512-tr

That`s it for this month I think!

Dom.

19. EricJF

EricJF Rookie

Aug 3, 2015
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Eric Friedman
    In the sub-world of all-black TRs, I've noticed at least two new cars going for sale at lower prices than I've seen in a long time.

$135K seems like a very good deal for a 9800 mile car, if it shows this well in person and has no major accident record:
    1988 Ferrari Testarossa for sale #1775312 | Hemmings Motor News

And $97K for this one...that clearly has high miles, but looks great cosmetically. Though how can an '88 have a flying mirror (wasn't that an older design?)
    1988 Ferrari Testarossa for sale #1765822 | Hemmings Motor News

20. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Personally, I prefer 5 lug wheels of 88.5 model. Admittedly, these appear to be very good prices. I'd buy another if I had garage space.

Sent via itty bitty electrons

21. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    There is a beautiful 93 TR for sale at Beverly Hills Ferrari, Does it belong to anyone here?

22. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    There is a white 1990 Testarossa just been advertised here in Dubai at approx $68,000. Its another modified one with 6,000 Kms on the clock. Its been given a full 512TR interior, upgraded wheels, 512TR badges and a Swarovski'd Testarossa badge on the engine lid.

All in a damn good deal for the money but then a 512M sold recently with 4,000 Kms in what looked like mint condition for the equivalent of $145,000. And I'm not ashamed to admit ff I'd had the money I would have bought it and shipped it back home to make a quick buck! LOL

23. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    The rising prices have motivated many to try to sell their TR. About a year ago there was not even one TR for sale in Canada on trader.ca and there is now 6 for sale.

Same on Ebay. The market is flooded with TR right now. Let's see if they really sell for the actual market offering price.

24. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Just came accross this - never seen the site before, some kind of online classic auction:
    (and a lovely white Testarossa)

Ferrari Testarossa - 1988

Dom.

25. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Beige & aubergine (or should that be melanzane?) interior, how very 1988.

Very nice looking car Dom. Not cheap though.