Current Value Of A Project Dino GT Coupe? | FerrariChat

Current Value Of A Project Dino GT Coupe?

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Oct 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    My friend is actively searching to buy a Dino GT Coupe project. What do you think is the current value of a Dino project? Here’s some categories to chime in:

1) Matching numbers, runs and drives, mostly rust free but needs everything?

2) Non-matching numbers, runs and drives, mostly rust free but needs everything?

3) Basket case

Freeman

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Of course there is a lot of room for interpretation here but assuming an E-series or even M-Series (most common variants) I would say that the values are about:

1) $250-$300 USD
    2) low $200's-high $200's USD
    3) $100K + USD depending on how 'basket case' you are talking.

The market is much softer than it was a year ago. At present a really well restored car represents the best value as the cost of cars is not high enough to make up the difference of what it costs to do a restoration.

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

Thanks Rob, my friend is a passionate knowledgeable enthusiast. Restores all his cars himself or with friends with specialized skills. He loves racing at Goodwood and does exhaustive research on the cars he restores. He currently lives in the US. He has wanted a Dino for years. He’s also open to Dinos with period performance mods.

Freeman

4. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It’s tough to assign a price, category 1 are usually tarted up and presented as a going concern. There are usually a handful of these are on the market and they tend to linger...
    Category 3 are percieved as more cost effective overall if you’re doing a full blown restoration so don’t tend to last long on the market.

I would advise buying matching numbers only if budgeting for a restoration. It will be much less painful when time comes to sell it.

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I’d love this thread to 1) help my friend and 2) to get personal opinions on current values. I think as the market goes forward, enthusiasts that are capable of doing a lot on their own restorations would be open to non-matching number cars if priced accordingly. I also think the market will mature and create a split between “as it originally came from the factory” to “how it could have come from the factory” to “how it could have been in period”. Obviously, these are polorizing categories but I believe it will keep the hobby fun and interesting. I believe there are many enthusiasts that are more concerned about getting affordably into a Dino as an enthusiast rather than how much it will sell for later (at least until it’s time to sell!). Most automotive designers, including those that have designed Bugattis, Porsches, Ferraris etc are on minimal budgets and only dream of the cars they design and lust for. They’re much more open minded about just getting into the car of their dreams.

Freeman

6. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Freeman,
    I hope your friend finds the car he's looking for, you didn't state his intentions in the first post and I didn't see post #3 when I replied, I guess I didn't refresh.

I assume he's see the cars available at gullwing motor cars?
    Rob's value ranges look fine.

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

So my friend is seriously on the hunt. He wants a coupe that needs some recommissioning and tidying. He really doesn’t want to do a full restoration. He’s open to hear what’s out there. Best is if the car is already in the U.S. He’s a true enthusiast. If anyone one has a lead, you can PM me.

Freeman

8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Freeman,

A couple of months ago Fantasy Junction had a US spec GT in red / black, but was originally dark blue. Was a bit tired but had some recent mechanical work done. Ask was around $260k. Sounds like it could be a fit. It was on consignment and not sure if they sold it or just pulled it from the marker. Worth a call to FJ.

Good luck to your friend.

Chris