CV Boot replacement on 355 | FerrariChat

CV Boot replacement on 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by TrojanFan, Feb 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Need to replace both my left and right inner CV boots. Can someone please confirm that the boot from a 78 - 83 Porsche 911 fits the 355? I see its on the parts interchange.

Also, whats the funky nubby bolt head? Is this some sort of specialty socket/wrench that I need to pick up? Anyone have the name and size?

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  3. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Probably makes sense. I see in a later post that the Porsche boot is close but not a direct replacement.

It's my inner boot on both sides. Any reason to replace the outer at the same time if they are in good condition?

4. mad dog

mad dog Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    suffolk uk
    Full Name:
    andrew
    Is this not one of those daft Ferrari items where you can only buy the complete unit, ie drive shaft? http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=1&Mo=691&A=1&B=40986&S=
    Which makes it pricey if you do want ferrari.
    Those links are to aftermarket boots. Which are perfectly acceptable, although quality does differ in boot replacements with some cheap chinese items around. I think i used the Porsche parts and fitted fine.
    The tricky part in this job is getting those bolts undone and done up again to correct torque. For quick and easy I put my torque wrench on the bolt with handle against something that wont get hurt, then a couple of old wheel bolts in hub and a long bar against them so you turn the hub and therefore shaft and therefore undo or do up bolt. Not sure how well Ive explained that!
    oh and you need the tool that tightens the clip.

5. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Need a name and part number for the tool to strap these down correctly.

Anyone have it or have one they don't need anymore.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I know people like to jump all over Chinese stuff these days but you are forgetting that today more than likely many of the OE parts are sourced from China in the first place. Where do you think your iPhone was made? Your TV? Your clothes? China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Indonesia...

I have purchased the CV kit from Superformance and the quality seems as good as what was on the car originally. Certainly better than the torn boot that was on the car. It fits correctly and the inner boot is already clamped to the metal ring so it only a matter of securing the clamp around the axil. Plus you get all new parts, boot, clamps, spring clip metal boot ring, rear cover and grease.

8. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Funny to see that link to AW. I can walk there from my office. I had no idea they had a Ferrari part site. I have been going there for years and they have a shop in the back as well that I have used also. We'll run family owned business.

Interesting story about how they got started and to this day are still around.

9. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    The cv joints and bolts are common sized Lobro stuff, also used in many racing applications. The outer cv with crimped stub axle is proprietary AFAIK.

Because it's Lobro, there are "high temp" boots available, very different from the accordian OE style. If you track the car it's a worthwhile change.

If you track but don't change design of boot, make certain that the boot is vented. We would heat a piece of welding rod and poke a hole towards the small end of the boot and close to the axle so grease wouldn't migrate out.

Undersise CV balls available too to reduce friction.

Crimped outer CV joints can be cut apart and tig welded back together.

Best,
    Rob

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

10. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
  11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Your welcome. :)

12. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Yep use the good stuff where ever possible

13. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If I vo for the Superperformance. boots, do I need the plyers? What about the outer boot? Worth replacing at the same time of still ok?

14. mad dog

mad dog Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    suffolk uk
    Full Name:
    andrew

I think in the picture there was included the clamp ring. You need something to hold the ends tight so the grease doesn't leak out.
    Personally, whilst in there I would check the CV joints themselves. They obviously wear over time and if short of grease wear more. Its not difficult, but just keep an eye on what goes where. I think they only fit together one way anyway. Clean them all up, check where the balls run for any sign of grooves or other wear and replace if there is.
    To my mind these are a consumable, even though they have a long life, they need replacing every so often anyway.

15. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Actually, it is "you're" welcome, not "your" welcome.

You can learn about English grammar utilising your preferred on-line search engine.

:D.

16. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    "You're"

Learn to write and spell....

Your rude American attitude is sickly enough.

17. mad dog

mad dog Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    suffolk uk
    Full Name:
    andrew
    touche me feels! Although the attitude is sadly not confined to a few citizens of the usa. We have enough of our own here, it crosses borders.
    Now lets move on!

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Have a little sense of humor. Do I really have to put a smiley face after every little pun? :) Can't make a typo? u r welcome. Is that Ok, or is it OK, or ok, or oK :) :)

19. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

GO get some coffee you grumpy old ****!

20. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK

Leave the sarcasm and irony (yes they are different, very) to us Brits.

Ok?

21. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Just FYI, I sent an email to AW and they beat the Superperformance price. $75 for the kit (both boots). I ordered 2 kits to replace all 4 boots.

22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Glad I could help.

23. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for the link. I was going to go the Superperformance route for the better pricing but they were willing to beat it and lower shipping.

24. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Any threads showing the CV boot replacement with photos? Looks straight forward, but when it comes to Ferrari, is anything? Any tips, tricks or other info that will save me hours of time? My CATS are out of the car at the moment so that should make the job easier.

25. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If I don't intend to track my car, is there any benefit/purpose to make a vent hole in the boot? What is the benefit of the vent hole for the track? Some sort of pressure release?