CV joint leaking Grease | FerrariChat

CV joint leaking Grease

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Cml2116, Mar 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cml2116

Cml2116 Rookie

Nov 14, 2015
    Tri state area
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The title says it all. CAr has been cared for very well is a 2013 Cali 30 with 15K miles. I have had all the annuals at the dealer and fixed any issues that have arisen (motor mounts; new battery) proactively even if it wasn't a mandate. I have opted for the warranty for the past 2 years. The car is in strong shape. It is in for its annual and the dealer is telling me there is a grease leak from the rear CV joint and this is not a repairable item. It needs the shaft to be replaced for $7000. If a part has to be replaced why isn't it part of the warranty I have paid for is my question. the have fallen back to the leaks not being covered etc.

I wanted to ask this community if they have heard of this and if it is something that is fixable or does it infact require the shaft replacement.

appreciate your insights

2. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    There was a time when you could buy a universal CV boot that came as a repair kit with graphite grease, a split rubber boot that you cut to size, a tube of industrial strength super glue and two ratchet ties.
    They were about £10.00 to purchase, i remember using one on a 911 Carrera targa 3.2 back in the day, it worked a treat (30,000 miles until i sold the car) it saved me £000’s back then.
    I wonder if you can still buy them ?

Cheers
    Andrew

3. SL%%

SL%% Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2008
    if you have a reputable repair shops that handles Ferrari, try to ask them first, second opinion perhaps...

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
  5. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    That looks more or less identical to the 911 set up, I’d definitely be using a split cv boot if i were in your position or having a second opinion at least, sounds like a dealer is profiteering, i cannot believe that the cv joint cannot be separated from the shaft and another cv rubber boot be sourced.

Cheers
    Andrew