CV Joint Supplier | FerrariChat

CV Joint Supplier

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SouthJersey400i, Feb 22, 2022.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    This subject has not been discussed in some time so I thought I would start a new thread since suppliers may have changed.
    As part of my winter R&R I found one inside CV joint with very slight play. I plan to buy one to keep as a spare.

The Parts Manual only list the complete half shaft, but I believe the CV joint part number is 103885. Correct? It appears to be common with many other Ferrari's including some of the mid-engine V-8's.

I found the joint alone for $158 from AW Italian. The boot kit is an additional $33 with grease. I found one British site EU Spares with an SKF part for 52 pounds and boot kits available too.

Has anyone recently bought a high quality CV Joint and boot kit?
    Ken

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Ken,

Reviewing the Superformance web site, the CVs and boots have the same part number for the 308's and 365/400/412 series cars. They offer the CV's for 99.95 GBP or 108.95 GBP (Lightweight version) and boots for 7.95 GBP. However, they do sell a boot kit (single boot, grease, clips) for 9.95 GBP via their part number of 24613025.

Ordering just the boot kit may or may not make fiscal sense given the transport and importation costs involved. In my case, these costs were moot, as I simply added the boot kits to my suspension part order and so the slight additional increase in transport costs were little, etc.

Cheers,

Sam

3. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Sam
    Thanks for input. CV joint and boot kits seem more common than I thought. I'll order from a US supplier; cost looks the same as Superformance.
    Ken

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Ken,

Indeed, these are one of the few parts that are shared with a number of other cars and so a number of suppliers are available. In my case it made sense to order from SF, as I was buying a bunch of things anyway and so adding the boot kits did not change the shipping cost at all.

These days, one really needs to shop around and be aware and mindful of the parts our cars use. For example bearings, etc... At times the f-car price is magnitudes more than the sourcing the same part/manufacturer from another supplier. I bought all of my 365's suspension bushings (not suspension rubbers) from Europe (Amsterdam) for like $0.20 each... as opposed to $20+ that some f-car suppliers were charging... for exactly the same part. My local bearing supplier wanted around $35 each. That being said, buying one may not make sense given the transport and importation fees, etc and so I bought all of the bearings and bushings I needed for my 365 and Boxer. In the end I think I saved upwards of $800+ even considering the transport/import fees with nothing more than a few minutes using another firm's online ordering system.

Cheers,

Sam

5. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Could you share the link of the supplier for the suspension bushings in Amsterdam?

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    It seems to me, the 412 does not use a mix of famblocks ("bushing" with rubber) and bushings (metal to metal) like the 365. Your car should only need famblocks.

7. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
  8. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Sam
    Yes, I shopped around and just bought the CV joint and boot kit for $100 and $25, respectively. I got them from Tony Vail's All Ferrari Parts in Cleveland. They have been my go-to supplier for most parts for the last year or two. I will post the manufacturer number when I get the joint.
    Ken

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day,

Sure, the place I bought all of my items was https://www.abf.store/s/en/

Cheers,

Sam

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Raemin,

I suspect you are correct, as the 365 uses a number of metal to metal bushings that the later cars do not. However, the 365 does share some of the same flamblock style rubber parts as other models too. The bearing supplier I used could not supply the flamblock style parts and for these I used Superformance. On my side I always have to consider shipping and importation costs as an overall factor in my purchases, as these costs can be quite significant and especially these days. Since I had a running order for SuperFormance it simply made sense to add the additional items I needed.

Speaking of the shipping costs, over the past year or so (do primarily to Covid), shipping costs (in and outbound) have increased dramatically. Inbound into Canada from Europe/Asia has increased around 60% or so. Even so it is still pretty impressive that I can order goods from great distances and have them air shipped to my door in a few days time for reasonable prices even considering the increases. I cannot comment on Ocean shipping, as it has been a while since I needed such a large volume shipment, but again I was amazed at how little the Ocean shipping cost was given the distance and complexities involved (pickup, deliver to port, ship, unload at port, transport to my city).

Cheers,

Sam

11. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Arvid
    I received the CV joint today. It is in a GKN box with the GKN number 301174. "Porsche" is on box but that number was blocked out with the F number sticker.
    With that number I just did a search and they are available on Amazon for $102.
    One FCP Euro they are $65 and applications listed are: 911, 930, 2.8 Bavaria, 2500, 2800, 2800CS, & more
    Spec is:
    • Joint Dia. = 108 mm
    • Bore Diameter: 10.20mm
    • Pitch Circle: 94.00mm
    • Spline: 28
    So we have lots of reasonable price choices.
    Ken

12. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Thanks Ken. Very nice info. There are several universally used parts on our cars and this is just another good example. Nice to have a reasonable alternative of same quality when the time comes :)

13. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    You mentioned they are common on mid-engine v8's. I know on my 328 the half shafts, cv joints, and boots are German made and are found on many Porsches from the same era.

14. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Yes, the 328 is on the application list for this GKN CV joint. Along with a lot of other make cars.

15. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Yes
    They are also available from Meyle for about 35-45$usd p/n: 414 498 0000

We use 2 of these on our engine Dyno, in the drive shaft between the engine and power absorption unit. For a car I would buy GKN, but the Meyle have worked fine for me.

Arvid likes this.