Cylinder Sleeves Source | FerrariChat

Cylinder Sleeves Source

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Gossimer, Nov 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gossimer

Gossimer Rookie

May 5, 2013
    Melbourne, FL
    I am having the engine in my 1988 Mondial 3.2 rebuilt and we need to replace the sleeves in the cylinders but I have checked, Ricambi, T. Rutlands, FerrParts, Eurospares and superformance and cannot locate a source that has the sleeves for this engine. From what I have found for the liners, the original part number was 126190 but were available in a red dot or a green dot version based on the thickness to match the pistons and no longer available since they have been discontinued by Ferrari.

Would anyone on the forum know a source for the correct sleeves?

2. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    We would blow a race engine and need to install a sleeve in the block. They were pretty thin. Maybe someone could re sleeve the sleeve for your

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I take it by sleeves in the cylinder, that you mean you need new liners ?

Any local machine shop will turn these for you, using the old one as a pattern.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    This will not work at all

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looking on the net i found west wood cylinder liners in the uk, their web site gallery shows liners they have made for ferrari, aston martin etc so might be worth having a look.

6. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

I was just browsing the 308 section and came across this thread where a guy is completely rebuilding his engine. In one of the pics, he shows sleeves being removed.

You might contact the original poster in the thread and ask him where he got the sleeves from

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/308-gtsi-restoration-efi.546107/

Good luck.

Sid

7. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Why not?

8. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    In stock at Superformance UK. I just bought some.

9. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Apologies, I got 308

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The post is putting idea forward that you re sleeve the sleeve-how can you sleeve the original liner which is already fairly thin. Plus how would you stop it falling out.
    You just machine up a new one.

11. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I thought all of the 83 onward liners were nikasil ... and the rings were compatible with that hardened finish ... so custom liners might require different rings and possibly even different pistons, Sounds like a nightmare. I now understand why low mileage Ferraris bring a premium.

12. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    They blow up automatically at say 40k!?

13. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I have never seen a Ferrari sleeve in person so I don't know how thick they are. The sleeves we used were approx. 1/8 inch thick You bored the block slightly under down top to bottom but stop short of going all the way down. This gives a ledge for the sleeve to be driven down to and it will not allow it to come out the bottom. Then the sleeve is cut down to the deck. Then your final bore. Yes very costly but if you have no other options Maybe it could work.

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The outfit i mentioned in the uk make liners and are showing several ferrari sets they have made so it should be worth asking- as far as i recall the mondial is a plain cast iron liner as the nikasil came later in the 348 or 355 ?

15. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Only the very early Mondials were plain liners .. they went to Nikasil in part to get away from the heavy oil consumption on the early 308 motors and I think it was done when the QV came out. Since Nikasil is a coating, you can't rebore it. So if you cannot source Nikasil liners, when your liners are toast you are somewhat up the creek. The only good news in this scenario is that Nikasil is very hard and it doesn't wear easily. So you might be able to get away with just new rings, or new piston and rings. Failing that, you could (logically) go backward to the prior cast iron liner and the associated piston/rings, assuming that works with a 4 valve, and live with the oil consumption problem.

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I think there is an outfit in the uk that does the Nikasil process, as they used it in the old yamaha tz 2 stroke racing bikes i think

17. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login also. a Kawasaki bike shop here in California.
    i don’t know the name. just they are in Smell-A. ,,,,
    I mean “LA, California,, aka .Los Angelus City.

I was going to send my set of 308 qv liners for replate.

good luck
    Edwardo