D.H. 98 Mosquito to fly in New Zealand! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

D.H. 98 Mosquito to fly in New Zealand!

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Sep 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Also had handed props so should have been easier on take offs.

Interesting. How did other planes with similar tail arrangments cope with this? P-51s for example have the vert stab&rudder almost behind the horiz stab (which is located much closer to the cg than the Mossie, so wouldn't elev. authority be even less, all else being equal which of course it isn't).

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I didn't quite explain things well. I'm a bit slow on mental stuff today. The DH98 fin is tall as is the rudder, elliptical planform, . At high AofA the horizontal tail's wake can blank the fin and rudder unless you move the fin and rudder forward so that there is enough fin and rudder exposed in a stall or near a stall.
    The P-51's rudder is well below and aft of the horizontal tail so that there is no loss or less loss of rudder authority at high A of A. Fuselage configuration airflow and engine location enters into the equation also. Hope I'm not too blurred with this , now.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If you look at the photos above, you'll note that the early Hornet (first photo) has a vertical tail essentially identical to that of the Mosquito. In the later photo you can see the added dorsal fin that was added to most production Hornets to provide more directional stability. The Hornet's late-model Merlins were more powerful than those of the Mossie.

Of course, that's why all but the first block of bubble-top Mustangs had the additional dorsal fin added ahead of the vertical. The razorbacks had adequate directional stability without it, but the cut-down rear fuselage of the bubble-top reduced that significantly; hence the dorsal fin.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- Affirmative, loss of keel area affected the P-47D-25 and later Jugs, too, and my Dad's last -30 had a factory fitted dorsal fin addition. They also retrofitted the dorsal fins to older models. Dad said the early P-47D"s and the early P-51D's nose tended to hunt or almost Dutch roll until the fin was added. Can see where a Hornet would need one even more with all that torque.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The P-51 Fastback didn't suffer from the turbulence left behind the bubble canopy. Another compromise with drag or loss of visibility in a dog fight and with the DH98 the compromise was with the shorter tail moment arm or loose rudder control and stability near a stall.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    If you extend a line from the LE of the stab upward, you can see what will possibly be blanked in a high angle stall. On the -51 there is a lot of rudder left below the stab and enough above the stab to maintain control.

7. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    #57 I16, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hornet looks good here.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
  9. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
  10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Read a book on the Red Army...

"The Il-2 Sturmokik is as essential to the Red Army as air and bread" - Stalin

I think it was the most manufactured plane of WW II.

12. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    Stand by - the build time of ZK-FHC has been incredible.

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #63 nerofer, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    That citation is true, but somewhat taken out of it context, which changes its meaning slightly. Stalin wrote that sentence because he was very upset about the slow output of one the factories. He therefore wrote a letter/telegram to the managing director of the "Zavod" in question, and in that letter Stalin said exactly:

"You have let down our country and our Red Army. You have the nerve not to manufacture IL-2s until now. Our Red Army now needs IL-2 aircraft like the air it breathes, like the bread it eats. Shenkman produces one IL-2 a day and Tretyakov builds one or two MiG-3s daily. It is a mockery of our country and the Red Army. I ask you not to try the government's patience, and demand that you manufacture more ILs. This is my final warning".

The last part was underlined twice with his customary blue pencil...
    I think I still may have it in Russian and Cyrillic somewhere;

Rgds

14. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
  15. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
  16. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK