Daily random pictures you have taken... | Page 327 | FerrariChat

Daily random pictures you have taken...

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by triXXXter, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  2. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #8152 agup48, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Is the front a bit washed out now?
    Other than that #2 has fewer elements distracting attention from the car.
    Nice

4. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Yeah, I think so, there was a small shadow along the front fender, which was white, so when I removed the front part, it was my only guiding line.

5. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #8155 nthfinity, Jan 20, 2011
  6. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    In any case shooting from that low angle accentuates the strength of the rear flanks. Adds a dynamicism.

7. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    In English? :eek:

8. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Your angle made the rear fender prominent and it resembles the flank of a powerful animal.

9. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Ah...okay :D

10. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    BTW It was a compliment. ;)

11. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #8161 agup48, Jan 20, 2011
  12. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    What are you shooting with?

13. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    POS Kodak M1063 :D

Why :eek:

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Cheap cameras are like slow cars. You really need to develop technique to get results.
    ;)

15. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Man, your posts need a translator to go with it! ;):D

I've been using it for about a year now, I've been wanting to upgrade to a DSLR, but $ and time are not in my favor. I'm definitely learning a lot using just a P&S, but I feel that if I had a DSLR, I could achieve some more.

I'm hoping the color & everything are fine though :eek:

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    OK, when you have a slow car you learn tricks to maintain speed since its so hard to regain when its scrubbed off. When you have a camera with few options you have to concentrate on the basics. Composition and light for instance.
    No doubt that a DSLR will allow you to do more sophisticated things but first we learn to walk later we run. My first camera was a completely manual SLR and having to set speed and aperture myself taught me more than I'd have ever learned if the thing did them itself.

17. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I've been more fixated on light, and it isn't always easy in Arizona, but I try to avoid harsh light and blown out pictures. I end up fixing the composition when I edit the images, some a little and some more. This one I just cropped it down to focus more on the car, and I liked the blue mesh and the cones as it showed more of the image than just focusing on the car (although blurry), so I included that.

18. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The depth of field is dramatic.
    The golden hours for photography are just after dawn and just before sunset when the sun is low in the sky creating interesting shadows and diffused light. Overcast and foggy days offer similar opportunities.
    The best things about digital media is that you can shoot a huge amount cheaply. The best way to take good pictures is to take a lot of pictures.

19. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Yeah, my uncle told me he spent a lot of money on film, and he was always holding back because it was expensive.

20. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    You never stop learning :)

I wish I was taking photos 5 years ago like I take today!

Composition, light, light sources, DoF... all that can make a life long pursuit of perfection ;)

Then there are the tricky artistic bits... the trade secrets, if you will...

21. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian

The problem with POS P&S cameras is that they mostly don't allow anything but snapping straight away. Manual speed and/or aperture? Nope. Manual focus? Nope. Fast lenses allowing DoF at focal lengths lower than at maximum zoom? Nope.
    Of course you can create great pictures with extremely cheap cameras, but the range of possibilites, including the possibilities to learn, is vastly bigger with a DSLR. The step in possibilities and freedom from a 200€ P&S to a 300€ DSLR is a lot bigger than the step from the 300€ DSLR to the 3000€ DSLR.

22. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    ... and I disagree with you again :D Or maybe it just needs a clarification:
    • If you want to try something out, like "let's see how the picture changes if I take 30 shots with different apertures", taking loads of pictures is great
    • Otherwise, thinking is more important than filling your memory card. If you have some great subject in front of your eyes and take 30 pictures from different angles and hope that one will turn out good without knowing really why, you're doing somethign wrong. (I find myself still falling into that trap now and then)

Ash, have you thought about buying a used DSLR? They usually can be had for not much money, and a camera that was able to take great pictures 4 years ago will still be able to do so today, no matter how far technology has advanced since. My D40 came out in 2006 IIRC, and it's only now after three years of using it that I find myself getting to its limits. It can be had for ~150€/$ in excellent condition nowadays, throw in a cheap kit lens or a cheap (and great) 50mm 1.8 and you're good to go!

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    My comment about shooting a lot was in the practice, practice, practice vein. Even the simple volume helps. Eventually you get a shot you like a lot and by looking at it closely you see what made it good and what you did to achieve that.

24. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I have, but haven't found one I liked enough. I like Canon, so I was thinking XTi, XSi, etc. I'm still looking, how 'reliable' are the used cameras? What problems will I run into, if anything?

25. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    As a Nikon user, I have no experience with Canon, but I doubt the quality differs much. As to the reliability, I'm quite active in a few photography forums, and I have never seen a "OMFG the mirror mechanism broke my camera is toast" thread. If someone complains about a broken camera, it's usually his own fault (messing around with old high voltage flashes, dropping it into water etc). The mechanics of today's cameras are usually designed for 100,000+ actuations, which you won't run into too quickly as a hobby photographer.