Damn - another obstacle on my way to 458 ownership - the 570S spyder | FerrariChat

Damn - another obstacle on my way to 458 ownership - the 570S spyder

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by socalferrari, Jun 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. socalferrari

socalferrari Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    Orange County, CA, USA
    so after I put down a deposit for my dream 2014 458 Italia - I was contacted about a 570S Spyder that has just come to market.

I had originally placed an order for a 2016 570S a few years but due to unforeseen circumstances I cancelled that custom order.

Fast forward 3 years, I had given up on the McLaren and went for a Ferrari - as I’ve always loved the 458.

Last week I was contacted about 2018 570S spyder that became available. It’s the exact color both in and out that I would have ordered 3 years ago - but this one is a spyder - even better in my book.

To make matters more confusing the 570S is priced lower than the Italia.

Either car would only we weekend-driven. I’m not looking for a daily driver.

I need some insight from those of you that have owned or own either vehicle - which is the better car? Not the better price - the 570S is lower priced.

I have driven both cars - there is something about that Ferrari - but having a McLaren convertible would be pretty damn cool.

Thanks all for your collective input.

2. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Go on the mclaren life forums to see what type and how many issues current owners are having with the 570.

iloveferrari and Napoli like this.
  3. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    They are both great looking and driving cars....I had this dilemma at one time...I then relized there is nothing like owning and driving a ferrari...

Maybe consider a 458 Spider...

QueueCumber likes this.
  4. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Given that your first choice a few years ago was the 570, you must have wanted that more, so I assume that somewhere in the background that desire must still exist, unless you've since been educated to the better of the two, the 458!:)

Jim

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. socalferrari

socalferrari Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    Orange County, CA, USA
    You’re right on this one Jim.

A few years ago - I definitely was on he look out for the 570S coupe.

However my all-time favorite supercars is the 458. I think it’s styling is eternal and no matter how old the 458 gets I keep looking back at it.

In this situation - the 458 I’m looking at Ian the coupe - but it is without backup sensors and a camera. It has an impeccable interior and low miles for a 2014.

The 570S Spider is priced less- it is a spider, has backup sensors, and backup camera. Interior is nice as far as color, but I will give the nod to the 458 in terms of color and material.

The reason I ask this question is that I don’t want to lose the opportunity of getting into a 570S spider while the price is right.

If I let this particular 458 go on the other hand I will always yearn for a 458. And unfortunately I’m not in a position to buy both.

JimPVB likes this.
  6. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    I owned an MP4-12C. Never again... :mad:

sbenus likes this.
  7. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    There is something about the 458 for sure. That's why I have had three of them. Trust your gut after driving both. The McLarens (even the 720S I test drove a few weeks ago) have never given me that feeling that driving the 458s give me.

Let us know if you decide on the 458. Otherwise, don't. lol

Thecadster, Caeruleus11 and sbenus like this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    A true comparison would be the 458 Spider compared to the 570S spider, especially if you prefer a spider. Between the 2 cars, I find the 458 more engaging and exciting to drive. The exhaust note of the 458 is far more satisfying. Subjectively, the 458 is a more elegant design. The 570S is a very competent and fast car. It is very comfortable and compliant. For many, including me, it is excessively so.If you were interested in a daily driver, it would be a more appropriate choice. The thrills engendered by driving the 458 is noticeably enhanced over the 570S. The 570S does exhibit a bit of turbo lag, especially around 3K, while the N/A engine of the 458 is simply much more involving and so linear.

QueueCumber likes this.
  9. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Well put. I'll put it another way. Except for jamming the throttle, the McLaren is a boring car. Buy a Jeep Trackhawk if you want a commuter vehicle that is fast.

dustman likes this.
  10. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I stopped when you said “I don’t want to miss out on the 570 while the price is right.”

McLaren 570 will continue to go down faster than will the Italia. The price will get righter and righter, no need to worry about that.

I sold the 720 and still have the Speciale if that helps. I’d never have bought the 570, whereas I did have an Italia coupe.

Lastly, naturally aspirated > turbo charged.

Caeruleus11 and v35 like this.
  11. socalferrari

socalferrari Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    Orange County, CA, USA
    Lol. Thanks all for your input. Always puts a smile on my face reading differing opinions from differing forums.

I will acknowledge that while the 570S Spuder seems to be the better deal - I have yet to convince myself that it is the better car. That is why I rely on all of you on this forum.

Again - not looking for a DD. This would be strictly weekends and the like.

Not sure if I care for all that pomp and circumstance of the upright doors. The monocell chassis and the low weight are definitely an intriguing proposition in addition to the speed of course. Not sure whether I will like turbos over NA.

All your input has been very valuable. Keep it coming.

Thx.

12. DGod

DGod Karting

Apr 21, 2008
    Iberian Peninsula
    458 now and eventually 570S later if the desire doesn't fade. Prices on 570S will only go down.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    For strictly weekends, get the italia (spider preferably).
    I’m on my 3rd 458 variant and had a 650s briefly. Super quick car, but oh so boring and lacking sound.
    The 458 is brilliant.
    570s is a wonderful alternative.
    But you will sell it in a year and get a 458.

14. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Owned and eventually sold the 458 for a 12 cylinder car. Nice car but never turned me on. Service and quality on a Mac can be doggy but I had endless issues with my 458. In addition, depreciation on a Mac is not for the faint of heart. I drove a 570 and if you give it the gas to me it was very engaging and felt light and tossable. Overall more fun at normal diving speeds than a 458.
    A true first world problem. You will smile either way.

15. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Doc, what type of endless problems did you have on the 458? Not usually something I’ve seen on this side of the forums so curious to see what issues you ran into.

As far as values on 570, the “good deals” have yet to come, this car is going to depreciate far more and far quicker than the 458.

16. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I'm glad I read this thread so I can now lose that Mac wonderment and remain focused on upgrading to a 458... :)

Hoboken and socalferrari like this.
  17. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Th
    Perhaps not if he's buying at the prices he says he is. A 570 Spider and a 2014 458 coupe shouldn't be that close in price, let alone the 570 cheaper. That means either the 570S is a bargain or the 458 overpriced. There are tons of 2014 458 coupes at $200K or less. I don't see many 570 Spiders are 200K. And he said the 570 is less...

Gh21631 likes this.
  18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Both are great if you dont care about the performance and want the more beautiful car then 458. 570 is more advanced technically which could be a plus or minus depending on the buyer. Problem wise they both have their issue, with the 458 be sure to check the transmission which has been troublesome and a major expense. 570 has some issues but not so much with the drivetrain. Either way get a warranty.

I think both cars are going to hold value relatively well especially the spiders. They have both come down quite a bit from new and have flattened out to some extent.

My choice would be a 458 spider. It is one of my favorite all time but you cant go wrong either way.

19. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    My issues included but were not limited to: leaking shock, faulty chassis weld, several trim fitment issues, computer reflashing to resolve transmission malfunction, delamination of interior trim pieces, brake pad issues, trunk latch failure. The car was a 2011.

20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Those are some serious issues, is this common for the 458?

21. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Supposedly reliable cars. Guess mine was built when Guido and friends had a hangover.

Ash Patel likes this.
  22. socalferrari

socalferrari Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    Orange County, CA, USA
    Well - truth be told both cars have around 1200 miles on them. I’m pretty sure the 2014 458 is overpriced by at least 5k.

I don’t know the 570S market well enough to pass judgement. I believe it’s competitively marketed.

23. socalferrari

socalferrari Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    Orange County, CA, USA
    Agreed. I never was a huge convertible fan - but the 458 spider is the best looking drop top around. I would just prefer a coupe when it comes to the 458. I think I like the lines of the coupe more than the spider.

I’m looking at the 570S Spider mainly because the pricing is competitive and I like the lines of the 570S spider more than the coupe.

24. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

If you are this uncertain, wait longer. This shouldn’t be that tough of a call, whichever one you choose, there is no wrong answer, just different answers. But there are so many differences, the choice shouldnt be that that hard. These cars aren’t about reason, value, or deals, these are about passion.

My comments aren’t meant to pick one over the other, only you should do that.

25. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    458 all the way... mclaren are a cool car and very fast but I would never buy one ... the styling of the Ferrari is the best in my opinion , driver engagement and engine sound ... game over!