Damn - another obstacle on my way to 458 ownership - the 570S spyder | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Damn - another obstacle on my way to 458 ownership - the 570S spyder

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by socalferrari, Jun 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Personally, I think the ergonomics suck in the McLarens. I don't find the cockpits comfortable. They're cramped. Handling also is blah. It does too much for you. I find the lack of engagement boring. It may have more power, but again it's at the cost of NA engagement. It's a prime example of how sometimes additional features can detract from the gestalt, IMO.

No doubt if you're chasing times at the track these features are going to be important, but otherwise, meh.

For turbos, I much prefer the 911 TT/TTS to the McLarens. A decked out interior in a Porsche TT/TTS is much more comfortable and luxurious to me.

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    So trade in your 488 for one.

3. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    The most fun handling car I ever had was a 2005 Lotus Elise. Loved those little go karts....

4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    It doesn't have turbo lag either.

Cigarzman likes this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Oh ok sure it doesn't. It might be minor when compared but there.

Anyhow back on topic.

6. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I have a 991tts and gt3 as daily drivers, they're great cars.

570s handling is pretty darn good, you dont get the frame flex like you do in the 458 spider. Also I dont like the 458 steering boosted up to 11. Handling wise I'd give 570s a +1 over 458 but I realize folks like different things. I track a fair bit.

7. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Yes, that's why I have a lotus evora 400 for my daily! The handling is better than my 458. Sorry.

8. grendel88

grendel88 Rookie

Apr 28, 2014

No, it was a lease and the positives were not good enough to keep paying for the car. Also, my right knee was too tight to the transmission tunnel.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Go drive both and see what appeals to you. You are getting a mixed bag of opinions, some objective and others not so much so. Heck, try one for a year and then move to the next. Either way I dont think you will be disappointed.

Tbonium and Boomhauer like this.
  10. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Exactly, make a subjective decision based on which one you enjoy driving more, i.e. the vehicle that is the more exciting driving experience for you.

Basing a decision purely on metrics is a big mistake, IMO. It’s great for bragging rights, but at the end of the day you lose if you don’t truly enjoy driving the vehicle as much as the other vehicle you are considering.

I made a huge mistake buying an MP4 a few years back by making the decision with metrics rather than the emotional driving experience. To wit, I’ve had three 458s since then, and each experience has been better than the last emotionally (Italia—>Speciale—>Spider). Even after test driving the 488 and 720s, I am still happiest in the 458. But that’s just me and what thrills me (I love the 458 driving experience, especially mixed with the open air experience). Figuring out which thrills you most is what matters. Not everyone is excited by the same types of driving experiences, as evidence by this thread.

11. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Idk, I had a 2013 12C spider, loved it, in line for a 2019 720s.

MB

12. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    #62 QueueCumber, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    I loved accelerating in the 720S with someone else driving. There's nothing like not being in control of a vehicle when someone else is flooring it to get the adrenaline pumping. When I drove it, the acceleration wasn't as exciting. It is very fast, but I'm used to that in a modified TTS. However, I am not in love with the McLaren handling in general. I can tell it handles well, but I don't find it exciting. It's great that we all have different options for the kind of experiences we enjoy! If I were a track junkie, I'm sure I would want to have the fastest and best handling coupe possible, but racing schools aside, where I can use facility vehicles, I don't track cars.

The MP4 I enjoyed when slowing down and accelerating in bursts. At low speeds the handling seemed to want to do its own thing, whereas at high speeds it handled more inline with what I wanted it to do. I couldn't stand the engine sound. Without the augmented sound it gave little feedback, and with the augmented sound it seemed out of sync with the vehicle's engine. The 720S is a huge improvement on that. The handling works well across all speeds. The engine sound sounded like the actual engine and not augmented cabin feedback. I think for me the vehicles ability to adapt to and handle turns just removes too much excitement factor. I definitely think it's an awesome vehicle overall and I'm excited to test drive a spider when they're available.

13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If you are set upon McLaren, rather than buying a 570S, spend the extra and get the 720S. No comparison between the 2. The 720S is substantively superior on every level. After driving the 570S, I appreciated its attributes but upon existing the car had no interest in buying it. Too smooth and uninvolving. Next up was the 720S. WOW! A difference in kind.

14. socalferrari

socalferrari Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    Orange County, CA, USA
    Thanks for all your opinions. I have driven both cars. At 6 feet 2 inched I didnfind the 570S a bit cramped. Also the 570S spider I’m looking at has a Alcantara seats and
    steering which I’m not all that crazy about. The 458 is all leather with CF sport buckets.

Sound system - better in the 570S
    Color - Rosso Corso versus Blue
    Price - 570S spider cheaper by $2k
    Navigation - 570S has it. 458 nope
    Sensors - 570S has it. 458 nope
    Backup cam - 570S has it. 458 nope
    Sound - 458 is NA. 570S has MSO titanium. 458 still sounds better.
    Mileage - both are around 1200 miles

It’s a tough call. The 458 has been my dream car. It’s in my ideal color combo. It is missing a few creature comforts such as Navi and sensors.

Tough decision. I’m pulling my damn hair out!

15. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

In theory that sounds great but it’s gonna be a real expensive year when it comes time to sell the Mac.

16. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    #66 QueueCumber, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Might I suggest you look for a better optioned 458 that has everything you want? Heck, buy a fully decked out spider with 4-5k miles instead. The engine sound is glorious with the top up (via the retracting window) and down. Or, just look for a better optioned Italia that has all the things you want with a few more miles. Bucket seats are great. I definitely like them more than the other seating options. I personally like having a navigation unit for road trips, though you can buy iPhone mounts pretty easily. Backup cam is useful but I don't really need one (even though I've had one in every 458), but it's nice having the sensors in the front and back. Upgraded sound to me is not so important. I'm listening to the engine more than any music I play. Also, you can buy better speakers and install them aftermarket.

SVCalifornia likes this.
  17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I dont think so, they have pretty much bottomed and it depends on the deal. No different than the 458 which has dropped about $100K, both are decent buys now. Heck, buy the 458 first and then go from there. Cant go wrong either way.

18. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    I’m going to die roflmao off if he ends up just buying an R8 after all of this...

19. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    He could just buy both with 40k miles on them. :p

Gh21631 likes this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    You won’t miss the poor Navi in the 458.

21. socalferrari

socalferrari Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    Orange County, CA, USA
    Lol. Ha! No that won’t be happening.

22. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Or the lack of bluetooth, or the tiny screen neither you or your passenger can see or use, or the steering wheel with too many buttons, or accidently turning on the wipers while in a turn, or ...

ergonomics the 458 is not.

Also way down on power at altitude. High revving engines and lack of o2 is not a great combination.

Sounds great though

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    None of those has bothered me. I use the Bovee for connection to phone for everything. Wheel is easy if you know how to drive after an hour. Plenty of power. And the sound is A++++ relative to 488.
    I hope my Pista sounds better than standard!

24. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    The 570s even with Turbo Lag leaves a 458 for dead. Ive had both.

socalferrari likes this.
  25. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Hyperbole. A .3 second difference 0-60 and .3 second difference at the end of the 1/4 mile is hardly leaving something for dead. If that’s your criteria for choosing a vehicle, then get a 991.1 TTS and throw some bolt-ons and a tune in it. It would waste both cars by those standards and still end up being cheaper. Lol