Damn it!!! just missed this GT4 | FerrariChat

Damn it!!! just missed this GT4

Discussion in '308/328' started by Choptop, Nov 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
  2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    That does look like a nice one! Good luck!!

3. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    never wait, you might die while waiting....

4. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Chop: snooze and [fill in the blank]

sorry to hear about that and you so close to there. Nice example for that price, could even put it into that trunk of a beauty from last Summer.

rik n b

5. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    quite literally in this case. I looked at the auction before going to bed and thought... well, I'm the high bidder, i'd like to buy it... I'll sleep on it and if I feel the same in the morning I'll hit the "buy it now" first thing... pick up the car this weekend and drive it to Monterey for my meetings there next week....

woke up and poof!!!! all those plans are kaput... sigh...

I might have to console myself with that cheap 996 I looked at last week :D

6. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    So sorry, that would have broke my heart. I love GT4s.

Don't go to the Dar... I mean Porsche side :D

7. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So I am a bit confused?

I think that $25k for a GT4 is a great deal with a car with all the history and only 25,000 miles. But as I read on, it had a motor rebuilt just 3,000 miles ago? I know I am new to things, but a smog pump failure would cause a motor to need to be torn down? Or is it more likely the thing was not used much?

I would love to get a old GT4, and if the prices stay around here, it might be more realistic, but need to gather more information!!

Thanks,
    Bob

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Smog pump on the 308s is run off of the cams, so if it froze and the belt didn't pop, it could stop that cam and bang!

9. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    if'n you really wants it, figure out your threshold of pain and make a higher offer to the auction winner. Maybe he'd be ok with $2k -not- to buy it and let you end up with it.

10. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    OK, I feel better now. I knew I was missing something!!!!
    I need to do more research.

Still, a great price for a really nice car.

I agree with the "don't wait" thing, I have missed my share of cars that I really wanted......

That is why I got my 328 when I did, not going to let another one slip through my hands...........

Thanks,
    Bob

11. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Alan,
    I remember you sat in my car at Santana Row to see if you fit. I didn't realize you were that serious!
    It does look like you missed a good one. As an owner it is kind of depressing to see a GT4 with all the tools, records, etc. to go that cheap! His Buy It Now price was too low!

12. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    DUDE!!!! you need ESNIPE. never lost an auction using it when I wanted something, and basically free. I typically program mine to log in 90 min. early and place my bid in last 6 seconds: I like to win.

rik

13. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    #13 Choptop, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008

I could have pulled the "buy it now" trigger at any time... I was just late in doing so.

The person that got the car just hit "buy it now" before I did.

14. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Always looking for cars :D

I've just recently opened up a space in my garage and freed up some $ for a new toy. Its a good time to have cash in hand :D

15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #15 SonomaRik, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ya' mind you, he normally finds american metal...that'sa bigga boy ya' gotta there...

He needs a BIG Ferrari, or cabriolet/spider or motorcycle

[great guy though....DID love his car last Summer...think it fit every female for a store run and had room to spare...dang him to not take any guys with him ;) ] lol
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hey man, use this as a learning tool. While this sounded like a fantastic car, there will ALWAYS be another one down the road. That is what happened to me. I was about to buy a 328 GTS and it got sold out from under me, I was upset and went and put a deposit down on a red 911 Turbo. The day after I gave this guy my deposit, my 308 GTS QV fell into my lap. I had to beg and plead for my deposit back, got it back and went and bought my 308!! I've never looked back and I've never once regretted buying the Ferrari.

17. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    hehehehe... I do stick up a bit in the Mondial.

Actually the Merc is the car I sold. Back to the guy that restored it and that I bought it from. He had sellers remorse, and while I like the car its not my dream hot rod. I've got several other hot rods in the stable... but no exotic.

The 996 fits me ok but isnt really "exotic" in my mind. Fast? Sporty? yep. But not "special".

Kinda like my C5 vette.

I'll keep looking, there are other options out there.

I "barely" fit in a GT4... but I'm used to it. Some F-cars I just can t get into... Testarosa, 3x8 (other than GT4)... I havent tried to get into a 355. I fit in all of the new F-cars just great, but they are out of my price range.

18. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    I'm not toooo bummed... everything happens for a reason. If I dont end up with a GT4 right now it may mean I'll have the cash on hand to buy something else when it pops up (like your example).

19. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Anyone want to buy a Model A? I've got two that are up on the market. Pretty good price on them too. How about a T-Bucket? Track T?:D

20. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    DUDE, are you only looking on Ebay? There are 2 EXCELLENT GT4 examples FS out there in California RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PM me for details...

JIM

21. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    That was nice! Love the wheels.

22. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    not only on ebay... I've got a couple other leads on nice examples.

pm sent.

23. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #23 SonomaRik, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Chop, give me a link to your "T's".

Reworking the leather in the Mondi as we speak....will replace the side strakes soon too, as the originals are getting their tips problematic. The replacements are pure metal, no more breaky.

BTW, if you like the GT4, with your height, why not a 456. You wouldn't have problem with the head room, and the torque is great. Nice in they are coming down in purchase price, and fixing up a nice example won't run you over, IMO, $5k for the year. WITH a good PPI. perhaps Nothing to even fix.

Or are you wanting something a bit more classic?

To bad, you didn't get Terry's car. Sold couple months ago. :(

rik
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I was recently looking at a nice Mondial 3.2 Coupe on eBay but a bidder pushed the price up too much. I wanted the car, but not for that kind of money, especially without having a chance to see the car. Then, in my sorrow, I spent a big chunk of my toy money on a Ducati S4Rs instead. As soon as I got the bike home the Mondial owner called asking if I wanted it, his bidder couldn't come through...

Moral? Don't buy the 996 ;)

I'm outrageously happy with my Monster but will have to wait a few months before I'm ready for a Mondial.

25. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith

456? if I had an extra $20-30k to spend on a car right now I'd buy one. Lowest I've seen them is ~$45k. I love them though, lots of room, front engined V12 like God and Enzo intended. :D

The T's really arent mine... they belong to a family friend, I'm helping him out with them as he can no longer work on them or drive them.

I'll PM you a link to some of the T pics (perhaps in a day or so). There is one classic T-Bucket with 11 inch wide rear tires and skinny fronts. 350 chev with a tunnel ram. Its the better of the two. The other is a track T with a toyota engine. they both need a little work, but can be had for not a whole lot because of that.