Damn you sugar. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Damn you sugar.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GTHill, Mar 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    You are right Paul, Bison is alot better. I eat red meat on rare occasion and definitely notice, and enjoy, the taste, flavor, and texture of grass-fed. Or, when forced: like when I show up to a dinner party and that's what they're serving. You can't be ****** and say: "I don't eat red meat."...right? :)

2. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
  3. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I just started eating Paleo ...this is not a diet...it is a permanent lifestyle change

...and according to plan over time I should be able to make headway on the remaining pounds that are so stubborn to get rid of...and if they do not disappear at least i will know i am eating the way i should be for maximum health and nutrition.

beev

4. Samimi

Samimi Formula 3

Oct 17, 2005
    North of the 49th
    Full Name:
    S.
    Stevia tastes horrible.

I would say the best healthiest sweetener is Agave syrup.

5. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    I have been eating Paleo for pretty much 6 years. The only thing left I was eating that I shouldn't have been was hummus, which I gave up 6 months ago.
    Not only will your remaining pounds shed off, you will feel a sense of leanness and strength. And, on occasion when you do eat some starch or grain it hits you much harder reaffirming that you shouldn't be ingesting that crap. But hey, I like a chip or cracker on occasion!

If you combine that eating strategy with a Paleo-type workout: aka: Interval training, your body will form to its proper proportions in no time.

Great Paleo link: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/paleo-diet-meet-caveman-dieters/story?id=13030483

-Billy

6. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I've spent the last hour or so reading information on the Paleo diet. I also downloaded the book, Dangerous Grains. We'll see how it turns out but it makes sense so far.

I really have trouble with all of these different diets. It reminds me of religion; people believe different things and trying to argue against those beliefs can be very challenging. With so many choices in diets and information available, it is hard to know if you are going down the right path. You pick a diet, then, in 10 years, new information comes out that makes what you've been doing completely obsolete.

However, the Paleo diet seems pretty straightforward and hard to argue with. Eat fruits, vegetables and lean meats. I find it hard to believe that someone will come out with a study in 10 years that says those things are bad.

GT

7. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #32 MITYRARE, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

I am doing high intensity interval training with a certified personal trainer in my home three days per week (for the past year) and off days are cardio days....

I have messed up link with the hypothalaus and pituitary which further complicates my situation...manifests in little to no sleep (take melatonin and other doc prescribed concoctions to try and help with circadian rythmns), high cortisol (not easy to lose the remaining belly bulge), testosterone levels which range from a low of 20 part of the year and a high of 129 some times during the year....and also i require large amounts of salt which retains large amounts of water(salt according to Paleo, is poison, yet without it my BP crashes....so I would have been a dead Paleolithic man anyhow!)

I have a few books by Cordain and i love the concept...and his recipe book is a must have.

I am attending a sports injury, heart attack rehab type fitness assessment centre on Monday for a complete assessment of my condition.... and to see if they feel a different approach to training may now help break the current weight loss plateau...again, I am a somewhat complex case but others I know that have done Paleo for a few years are doing amazing with it.

beeeeev

8. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Unsweetened for the lack of sugar.

9. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Hey, congrats on using the Trainer.
    Rather than a traditional medical thought process sports rehab center, you should seek out an NMD in your area to go through your issues, assess your current condition, recommend what you should and should not eat and supplements that will help rebuild the organs you're talking about. Mine has helped numerous clients and recently cured one of full-blown Cirrhosis within 9 months. As you probably know, tradition medicine treats the symptom rather than seeking out and rectifying the cause.
    -Billy

10. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    You are right about 'Diets'. If there was one that worked, why do new ones keep popping up year after year...right?
    Paleo is not a diet and even the founders of the mvt will be the first to tell you that. It is a way to eat that is in tune with our Biology, Physiology, etc.

People like to complicate eating: counting calories, this many grams of fat, protein, low-carb that, and just end up putting themselves from one box right into another. But hey, it's a huge $$ maker that preys on human weakness and emotion.

As I mentioned above, I have been eating this way for pretty much 6 years, and looking back another 10 pretty much the same but just eliminated grains and starch completely.

It is just responsible eating. Eat close to the original source, small portions, nothing processed, if it has more than 3 ingredients on the label, don't buy it, if it has any chemicals you can't pronounce, don;t buy it...etc..

I like to say: 'If you can't hunt and kill it, grow it, or forage/pick it, don't eat it!'

-Billy

11. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Milk has many nutrients. You need them in the early stages of life, while growing up, like all animals. After that, you don't need to drink milk. Humans are the only species that continue to drink milk as adults. It is thought that lactose intolerance, which is common in adults, is evolution telling us that we don't need the milk anymore. Certainly, people who don't drink milk as adults are not any less healthy than those who do. Mothers also stop lactating once the children no longer need it. If we needed milk to survive, surely women would not stop lactating their whole lives? Nature provides us with what we need to survive--milk is not needed after the first couple of years.

12. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    +1 !

13. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I have been doing the milk thing for two weeks and it seems to work. No candy bars, one tiny bowl of ice cream at a birthday party, and no real desire to eat anything really sweet.

Drink about a pint to quart of skim milk after a workout. I'm sold on it.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Keep drinking unpasteurized milk and you will eventually get Brucella. Why anyone would want to drink unprocessed milk is beyond me. That stuff is gross. I rarely drink milk anyway.

15. MikeRoger

MikeRoger Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2011
    #40 MikeRoger, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2011
    I recommend to use the natural sweetener xylitol.

16. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    I drink goats milk and have never gone back to cow milk. Almond milk has to much sugar in it.

17. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Honey is your friend.

18. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    Bingo. That's exactly what I going to say, but you beat me to it. Get some straight from a beekeeper.

19. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
  20. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I just wanted to update everyone on my fight with sugar.

Close the thread. I win. :)

It isn't that I wouldn't enjoy some ice cream with chocolate sauce, but I don't crave it. In the time since I posted originally I've probably had one piece of cheesecake and one piece of regular cake (kids b-day).

I'll say this; it was tough. I've never taken any kind of illicit drug so I can't compare, but it was very tough to beat.

I've lost 20 lbs without any exercise. I still have 70 lbs (at least) to go. I'm now concentrating on reducing my caloric intake to around 2000 per day. I've been conscious of that number for a few days so I can't post any pain yet, but we'll see. Thanks for everyone's advice and support!

GT