Damp/greasy F1 Reservoir Normal? | FerrariChat

Damp/greasy F1 Reservoir Normal?

Discussion in '360/430' started by DL4567, Mar 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    Hi Guys,

I've had my F430 for a couple months now, and everything works great, but when I went to fix a loose tail light, I noticed the F1 fluid reservoir is the slightest bit damp/fuzzy on the outside. I wouldn't call it "wet" by any means, but it's greasy. (Hard to capture on pics, the pics look drier than reality)

Is this anything to be concerned about? I know these are notorious for overflowing, and I haven't checked the fluid level myself, but it had all fluids serviced at a well-respected independent last August, and PPI in January at the same independent. Everything else around it looks bone dry thankfully. A little bit of moisture doesn't bother me, but obviously I don't want it to lead to a fire.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Most likely slightly overfilled in the last service and it overflowed so I would just clean it and just keep an eye on it

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Red 27 likes this.
  3. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    flash32 likes this.
  4. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    Thanks guys! That makes me feel better. Probably the most important thing I've learned so far is that leaks anywhere near the engine are no joke, so figured it's worth asking.

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Dit the tank with a flexy rule- should be 18 mm with system pressurised

6. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I dip my left index finger into the reservoir until it touches the baffle. The fluid should come to the top of your fingernail.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

flash32 likes this.
  7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I measures my finger nail ..about right :)

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk