Danica Patrick out of NASCAR | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Danica Patrick out of NASCAR

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by GuyIncognito, Sep 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yeah, that ^^^ too !!! :)

2. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

I do not defend Danica Patrick per se, but I stand by my statement that motor racing needs more women [participants], not less.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Danica interviewed on Motorsport.com.

Says “I very randomly, at times, talk to my agent”. Translated, she's got a cell phone glued
    to her ear and she's in constant contact with her agent(s) pressing them and NASCAR (which
    is likewise eager to keep her in the fold) to hammer out a deal.

This article states that there is a chance to get a seat with Richard Childress Racing. Danica
    staying in NASCAR is really her only option if she wants to stay in racing. Bridges have
    been burned elsewhere.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-danica-patrick-nascar-future-956628/

BHW

4. Who cares?

Goodbye Ms Patrick, ya' know. :)

5. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Danica who?

6. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Unfortunately not returning to Scuderia Corsa as she is unable to bring the budget needed.

7. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I am a woman and totally agree with this. There IS a glass ceiling, but it starts in every little girls' own home and with her parents. When I started racing motocross over 20 years ago, there were hardly any women in the sport. Same with karting. I see far more girls in both sports now and I believe karting will eventually lead to qualified women making the grade in professional racing. After all, there are female fighter pilots. I also agree that while Danica is not an outstanding driver, plenty of men of equal or lesser merit have had fairly long careers without much comment.

I would like to see more women in professional racing - qualified only - because I think it gets young girls to thinking about what they can and can't do and then more go into motor sports. I want this not because I'm some screaming feminist who thinks women should take over everything but because I love motorsports so much and think other women would too if they were given the exposure and opportunity.

FCat360 and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  8. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    All well and good as long as they stay off the cover of Sports Illustrated unless they're in a racing suit on a podium.
    Yes I'm one of the men who think that Danica did a disservice to all women by allowing herself to be played as a sex symbol and agree with the earlier statement that by doing so she set women back 20 years. She's not attractive enough to be a sex symbol - in fact she's quite unattractive personality-wise - but she does prove that with enough stylists, proper lighting and an hour in Photoshop anyone can look good.

9. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    The problem is no matter what women do, they are judged first on how they look. So you can't blame women for going for the paycheck based on societal expectations. I don't like it at ALL, but I'm not foolish enough to not see the money trail. Sports are not above throwing good looking men out there as marketing fodder either. The difference is when a man is secure and mouthy, he's assertive. When a woman does essentially the same thing, she's aggressive or bitchy. We can't win and I've seen that over and over and over again in corporate America.

I think most all athletes need to talk less and work more, but then, I don't like drama which is why I've never been much of a fan of Nascar or wrestling.

Caracciola likes this.
  10. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Well, perhaps Danica should have taken your words closer to heart.

What is your assessment of Danica's Sports Illustrated bikini shoot? What are your thoughts on her Go Daddy commercials? Who, exactly, is pushing the stereotypes?

She played every angle to garner attention and money. I think your analogy might have some merit regarding high school football, but does not apply to Danica in any way at all.

Look, she was a marginal race car driver that had some looks and was a perfect fit for Indy Car & Nascar to try and bridge a gender gap they felt existed. That effort is no longer needed and she is done.

Remember this guy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Wheldon

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #61 I'm 360 Canuck, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    That's a played out stereotype. And kind of a cop out.
    There's lots of confident, likeable women and lots of arrogant, hated men in sport.
    Danica's problem was just a racings version of Anna Kournikova. Attractive and marketable, but mediocre...talked the talk but doesn't walk the walk. There's lots of male athletes like that, they just eventually go away. I just can't think of many male athletes that for example, perform like Tim Tebow, but act like Randy Moss. They usually figure it out. Maybe Sean Avery of the NHL.

12. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    It's not even a cop out. I was a CFO. Until you've been called a ***** by most every man working under you, you have zero idea how sexist things are. The reality is, women can rarely succeed at high levels without their womanhood being called into account. She's ugly, she needs to loose weight, she seems like a *****. When it's a man, people tend to stick to simply "what a ****."

13. Janet Guthrie was a real hottie!!! 'Same with Sarah fisher. :rolleyes:

They did it, and deservedly so. Not, they won diddly, but at the same time, I didn't hear all this "glass ceiling" crap from them They just got it done.

I don't give a sheet if women, gays, black, interplanetary, or whatever makes it. As long as they earn their way there, excellent. :cool:

I don't care for Danica, obviously. But she got there and as much as I don't think, as a driver, she deserved to be there, she made it. Fine. Congrats and goodbye to her.

I still don't think racing "needs" anything other than the best displaying their wares (drivers, engineers, crews, etc.). It's sport, that simple. 'Shouldn't be a "political correctness" playground. Some of us have grown past that. ;)

14. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I'm more then tired of this bashing- she's better then half the cars running today

Caracciola likes this.
  15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    she's currently running 22nd of 35 cars still in the race.

her lone teammate still in the race (Clint Bowyer) is 9th.

16. Tee-hee. :D

You're funny. :)

(or didn't you mean to be? :confused:)

17. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    B
    I believe she finished 16th - I'll let you do the math and no I did not mean to be funny

18. Woo-hoo!!!! 16th!!! Quite the contender. (as usual) :)

19. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    18th. Teammate Bowyer finished 7th.

I stand by my statement, given the equipment she's had her entire NASCAR career she's underperformed. male or female, marketable or not, results matter in sports and she just hasn't gotten them.

20. btw, it was 18th. more important, she's a WHOPPING 28th in the season standings.

But worry not about the bashing. Hopefully she'll be gone soon. :)

(edit - GI - AND her Indycar stint....)

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If Danica had the face of a pig the press would never have cared about her.

Then again, neither would have her big sponsor, Go Daddy.

22. I think she peaked when she Peaked..... :D

23. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I can not believe how you people write about my future ex wife! Must I listen to such disregard for her driving skills. She does have other attributes. When I find them on the honeymoon I will let you all k ow about them! :p

24. 'Must concur, as noted in the Button thread:

25. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    LOL!

Better watch out Turbo, have you seen the guns on her lately?

Okay, so I've actually got a Danica story.

Photographing some pre-season Champ Car stuff with LAT at St. Petersburg, must have been 2003. The
    new organizers redesigned the track to include the Albert Whitted Airfield straight along with the rest of
    the street course, it was to be the first Champ Car race of the season and they were creating a big buzz
    about it.

I was drafted in as I lived in Tampa at the time and could easily go over to St. Pete to shoot any press conferences
    and document the new track build up.

At the pre-event "Spring Training" session, we convened early one morning to shoot with various drivers on location.
    It was still dark when I arrived at the Vinoy hotel where I parked and began unloading my gear. Along came a
    nice looking young woman jogging along the waterfront. We exchanged hellos, I went back to unloading my car
    and she jogged up to the end of the block and stopped to bow to the rising sun.

I thought she was cute, perhaps one of the team owner's daughters or something, in the early morning dawn, I
    didn't recognize her. She came back and asked what I was doing. I told her that we were going to be photographing
    drivers all day and covering the various media events. She seemed interested and what we were doing and was
    quite nice. I told her that some of us would be meeting for dinner at the end of the day out at the beach and perhaps
    she'd like to come along. She said, "Sure, that sounds like fun" and since we'd both be around the whole day, I told her
    to keep an eye out for us.

So, later in the morning, I was working alongside Steve Tee photographing my old friends Patrick Carpentier
    and Paul Tracy who were team mates for the Player's Forsythe team. We're walking along looking for a suitable spot
    to shoot when Tracy says "Oh, hey, there's Danica I want to go talk with her". Sure enough, there she was, still in her
    jogging outfit and running around the grounds of the Vinoy Hotel and it dawned on me that I had been chatting up Danica Patrick and actually asked her to dinner.

Tracy goes over to speak with her. They're both looking at me and pointing. Pat says, "Hey, they're talking about you
    man!". I was losing my shot at a date with Danica with each passing second thanks to Tracy. So, they both
    come over to where we're setting up and Danica apologized that she couldn't join us for dinner.

What a pity.

To this day, I won't forgive Tracy, whatever he said to her, for ruining my ill conceived but well meaning plans
    for the evening.

BHW