Daniel Ricciardo has signed with Renault for 2019 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Daniel Ricciardo has signed with Renault for 2019

Discussion in 'F1' started by nerofer, Aug 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Mine would be Hamilton and Verstapen. I know, I know . . . I like to play with matches, but I think that Max still has a ton of upside.

2. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The theatrics would be better than Hamilton-the one on broadway...

3. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    And . . . I would let them race . . . no team orders!

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

By his own admission, Hulkenberg has accepted that he is now unlikely to be called by a top team now.

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    +1

6. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    He sure didn't have much of an issue against Vettel at RBR considering he's just an "okay" driver.

jmillard308 and william like this.
  7. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    True, they won the first Grand Prix in history back in 1906! :)

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I changed my mind about him in recent years. A very consistent guy indeed. And definitely not slow. But I don't think he has Ricciardo beating speed. I'd be extremely surprised if he has...If he does I imagine the 2019 silly season will be crazy.

375+ likes this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The Hulk has been in F1 a long time and has never scored a podium. He is getting a bit old at this point to become a hot property but I would love to see him in a front line car.

william and Bas like this.
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Many expected Sainz to walk all over him but it hasn't happened at all....in fact the opposite is true. I'd like to see him in a top car also but sadly think he won't get that opportunity unless Renault develops something special...

375+ and Igor Ound like this.
  11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

13. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I love it...

Hulk is "unimpressive"
    Ricci is an "OK driver"
    Seb is "not fast" and cracks under pressure
    Max is unmature
    Valtteri is a wingman
    Kimi is old and outdated
    Lewis is a Ballerina

Maybe they should dismiss all those drivers and only keep Gorsjean and Stroll to fill up the field with a few FChaters... ;)

14. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    This just indicates how bored we get in the summer holiday.:cool:

15. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    It's easy to beat demotivated drivers. Doesn't make Ricci at top tier wheelman - which, IMHO, he will never be. Don't get me wrong, I really like the guy, and some of his racecraft has been exceptional, but he lacks the edge in raw speed that the top guys have. He is also pretty weak in the wet which is probably the truest indication of those that have exceptional natural ability, and those that have to work at it.

Boomhauer likes this.
  16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Couldn't agree more. A DC by another name.

17. DF1

I do not see Vettel as capable in passing or in the wet at all.

18. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    4 more weeks going on like this and this forum starts to ask how he actually passed his drivers license ;)

daytona355, tifoso2728 and subirg like this.
  19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nonsense. Vettel used to be the rain king. That's how he won Monza in a "Minardi", which jump started his career.

william, NEP, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  20. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I agree. Vettel gets so much negative comments here, but he is a great driver and has proven many times that he is capable of overtaking and driving well in the wet.

william, NEP, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  21. DF1

#171 DF1, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Let me find a picture of a recent race in Hockenheim lol. Max is the rain king overall. Heck LH was the king in Budapest. Vettel is great from up front, has issues with pressure and is not at all the passer Ricci is. Keep up the hero worship lol

Things in the wet are a touch more complicated as explained here - so more car than driver I would suppose -
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/8386/the-numbers-that-disprove-ferrari-magic-step-theories

Is Red Bull's bad performance in the rain due to low downforce set-up to compensate for engine performance?
    Pieter Bottema, via Twitter

I think it goes a bit deeper than that. With the slick tyre, all the air where the tyre contact patch rolls onto the ground is displaced either to the inside, or because it's what the teams try to optimise, mainly to the outside of the tyre contact patch.

With the intermediates and wets, you have what is called a land-to-sea ratio. Obviously, the slick tyres are 100% 'land' because you have no channels in the tread. For the intermediates, it's roughly 75/25, and for the wets roughly 60/40.

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, Pirelli doesn't make wet or intermediate tyres for the windtunnel models
    This changes how the airflow structure around the tyres develops. This airflow and the vortices it sets up are critical to the performance of the underfloor and diffuser. On a car like the Red Bull, which runs at very high rake angles (high rear ride height), it is all about sealing the underfloor in front of the rear tyres with these vortices to get that extra performance.

But with this change on the tyre airflow, displacement will alter how this all works.

Ferrari, which also runs fairly high rake angles, also suffered whereas Mercedes, which doesn't run anywhere near as high a rear ride height, didn't. So, this is the area that I would be trying to research.

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, Pirelli doesn't make wet or intermediate tyres for the windtunnel models and CFD is a bit of a lottery when it comes to modelling rotating wheels and tyres.

375+ likes this.
  22. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Weak. Try and find a multiple wdc (this side of Prost) who wasn’t gifted with speed or a genius in the wet.

Even Lord Hamilton, a recognised rain meister, slips off track. In the dry too. Every driver does. Throwing Vettel under the bus for Hockenheim is just poor taste and bad form.

P.Singhof, william, NEP and 1 other person like this.
  23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Definitely not a hero worshipper. Vettel made a terrible mistake in Hockenheim, which is likely to cost Ferrari the title.

I can't say what's wrong with Vettel, possibly past his prime. My point was simply that back in his younger years he was the absolute king in the wet as evidenced in Monza.

william likes this.
  24. DF1

Poor form is Vettel's problem LOL. Form really? He has meltdowns year before and last year. 4 time WDC with major ego and temper issues. He is the least polished multiple WDC around. LH makes fewer mistakes. Im no LH fan but that is the major difference. Objectivity escapes you. All drivers make mistakes but timing them is everything. Vettel has very very poor timing. Again the Singapore and the latest in Hockenheim are examples. Vettel is at the bottom of the current WDC drivers Id have on a team. Id pick FA first and Vettel never. He has a tendancy to simply choke at the wrong times it appears.

Read what I posted about chassis performance in the wet. Its matters more than the driver as it sets the limit.

25. DF1

Monza was one race with the right tire and chassis. Thats all. He is not past his prime but is far too mistake prone dry or wet. See Baku this year and again last year. Singapore now Hockenheim. He chokes from what I see. Why is the mystery as at Red Bull he was not as prone?? Yet suffered with Daniel and left. Coward in my opinion. He hated the new the new car forumla he said. So with the same formula etc goes to Ferrari safe from a younger driver with more skill.